Datsun 620 Diesel engines

1972-1979 Datsun 620 forums. All 620-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Themis
Car: Datsun 620 1978

Hello,I'm a new guy in this forum, and I need some general advice on an engine swap to my '78 620 x-cab Datsun pickup. My target is increasing gas mileage, without a huge sacrifice in performance (anyway, there is very little "performance" in the stock configuration to begin with). What diesel engines are compatible with it? My internet search found engines such as SD22 / SD25; are these easy to find and install? Thanks!Themis

moparvwfreak
Car: 1973 Datusn 620 4 spd(sold), 1973 Datsun 620 5spd, 1993 BMW 325I, various VWs and now a CB7 Accord

Themis wrote:Hello,I'm a new guy in this forum, and I need some general advice on an engine swap to my '78 620 x-cab Datsun pickup. My target is increasing gas mileage, without a huge sacrifice in performance (anyway, there is very little "performance" in the stock configuration to begin with). What diesel engines are compatible with it? My internet search found engines such as SD22 / SD25; are these easy to find and install? Thanks!Themis
what about the LD20? L20 block done as a diesel. might be able to get oen shipped over from japan. or if some ended up here that might be a bolt in solution. and it would look stock.

Bleach
Car: Three Z-cars

Good luck finding 25+ year old engines in Japan. Epecially rare ones.

I would bet youre on a low budget buildup so the stock US engines are what you'd be after. 1980-82 Nissan 720 trucks had an optional diesel engine.It'll be a good fit but it's up to you to weld up the engine mounts and transmission mount to work. I don't know what the fuel requirements are for a diesel but you may need to use the fuel tank as well if there is any pressure in the tank for that setup.

I did see one diesel 720 in a Tacoma wrecking yard once and it was picked over. If you find a diesel truck for sale on Craigslist you should snatch it up right away. good luck.

racecar68dad
Car: 510 mini stock, 91 maxima, 06 titan

I,m new to this site , but couldn,t help but see your diesel inquiry. I have 25 years experience in the diesel injection field. there are lots of differences between the gas and diesel trucks. like fuel return lines, and no vacuuum on diesels. With the older diesels you could spend $50 apiece to repair worn(100,000 miles) injectors, and $750-1000 to overhaul an injection pump.I,m just not convinced that older diesels are that much cheaper to operate given the cost of fuel and the possible repairs needed on the sd22 or sd25.You will probably have some trouble finding parts, and people with experience with this swap.All that said trying to find a diesel truck will be better than making a conversion, but, anything is possible!! good luck

2kredz3
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

yes good luck on the swap, might be easyier to pull the motor you got and rebuild it. once it is rebuilt look into swapping fuel injection into it, a fresh engine with fuel injection will get better fuel milage then what you have

spirit of 76
Car: 620 pick up

i looked into this and found it to be more alteration than i cared for... a guy down the street has a 720 and i had a look at all the conversion points ... not worth it
Modified by spirit of 76 at 3:06 PM 6/4/2008

heywier427
Car: 91 Q45

if your a stickler for nissan, swap in the entire vw diesel drivetrane. pretty easy if you have some experience.

or you can try and find a vw truck but theyre getting harder and more $ to find. my brother has one and with a little tweeking of the pump, hes getting 65 mpg!!!!. he also drives like an old lady

i have a 85 diesel golf and only get 40-45 but my foot doesnt leave the floor from point a to point b! 44hp sucks!!!

Return to “Datsun 620”