datsun 510 potential

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
gurkgurkgurk
Car: 86 camaro iroc-z

hi, im new here. im not much of a fan for imports but my buddy wants to sell me his 68 datsun 510 four door for 1000 bucks with everything but the motor and 1500 with the motor. the motor is out of a 240zx or something like that? and it has the transmission from the same car in it aswell. now my question is, im after a ton of power, and i want it relatively cheap, and i love v8's and im gonna have a left over 305 chevy small block left over with port fuel injection and i was planning on swapping that into the datsun, i imagine id need to get special mounts and a matching transmission, but im wondering has anyone done this? or is the 240zx motor just a better way to go? im looking for power and reliability since i wanna be able to drive it daily. currently the 305 in my camaro gets about 20 to the gallon freeway and around 15 to 17 city, which isnt bad. can i hope to keep this mpg with the datsun? or even expect it to go up since its a lighter car?

thanks, sorry for all the questions

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

if you want a ton of power, I'd stick with the pushrod V8's.

you'd see probably 30mpg in the Datsun depending on what the engine actually is and what's been done to it.

it's also a lot more likely to get stolen than your Camaro.

gurkgurkgurk

Mr1der wrote:if you want a ton of power, I'd stick with the pushrod V8's.

you'd see probably 30mpg in the Datsun depending on what the engine actually is and what's been done to it.

it's also a lot more likely to get stolen than your Camaro.
yes. the 305 is just a typical pushrod v8. but 30mpg? i cant imagine that with 5 liters of displacement.

does a small block v8 fit in the engine compartment? and currently are there any companies that make motor mounts and transmission mounts for these sorta swaps?

ravera
Car: 1971 Datsun 240Z

It seems everyone these days want a 'ton of power'... What exactly is your definition of a "ton" of power?

You have to understand that this car is light, very very light, and a whole bunch of power makes it potentially very dangerous in the hands of someone that hasn't dealt with big power, short wheelbase cars before.

You also have to think about balance here. A big ol' iron american V8 is going to put a bunch of weight on the front end of the car making the rear that much lighter and that much more willing to attempt to pass the rear.

gurkgurkgurk

ravera wrote:It seems everyone these days want a 'ton of power'... What exactly is your definition of a "ton" of power?

You have to understand that this car is light, very very light, and a whole bunch of power makes it potentially very dangerous in the hands of someone that hasn't dealt with big power, short wheelbase cars before.

You also have to think about balance here. A big ol' iron american V8 is going to put a bunch of weight on the front end of the car making the rear that much lighter and that much more willing to attempt to pass the rear.
i want around 250 to 300 horsepower. which i know i can get from my 305sbc. but im not familiar with imports and import motors hence why i wanna have an american v8 in it

ravera
Car: 1971 Datsun 240Z

Well if there's ever a good time to learn... Any Import 4 cyl will produce that power with a pentence of a turbo, just gotta read up. OR... If you wanna stay in the states, the new Ecotec motor is sick. Only motor in ProFWD with an 800cc displacement cap. One of those +turbo+ T56 via any of the solstice family would make for a nuts datto with a bunch more rear weight distribution, which I think you'd find would make the car more fun to drive since you're not spending all that time in a corner making sure you're less... dead?

Papi Chulo
Car: 72' Datsun 510

must be cool being able to adjust timing from inside the car amirite

V8s have been done, many times. Requires a lot of work * huge understatement*, time and money to do them right.

You don't need 300 hp to have fun in a 510. I had fun in mine when it was stock.

gurkgurkgurk

Papi Chulo wrote:

must be cool being able to adjust timing from inside the car amirite

V8s have been done, many times. Requires a lot of work * huge understatement*, time and money to do them right.

You don't need 300 hp to have fun in a 510. I had fun in mine when it was stock.
wow, is that an LT1 stuffed into a 510? that looks like it should be a beast.

anyways

i find american engines just alot easier to work on, but if you guys say its difficult to fit them and make them work on a 510, ill take your word for it. so as i mentioned before would the 240sx motor be alot easier to mount and work? the transmission i was told would already bolt up without anywork, so i assume it would just be a way to hook up the computer and fuel lines. or can i go carb with a 240zx motor?

safin

why dont you just cool it, and drive the 510 with that 240z engine. then all the warnings nico is giving will make more sense to you.

or else save yourself all the trouble and just buy a shotgun...

the v8s you are talking about barely push those heavy muscle cars around with handling issues. wait till you drive the 510 as it is....

when i had my 240 w/ SR i looked down at the CA18. but i got to drive a 510 with one in it..... just balls man, just balls

you are getting a hell of a deal for 1500$....

gurkgurkgurk

safin wrote: why dont you just cool it, and drive the 510 with that 240z engine. then all the warnings nico is giving will make more sense to you.

or else save yourself all the trouble and just buy a shotgun...

the v8s you are talking about barely push those heavy muscle cars around with handling issues. wait till you drive the 510 as it is....

when i had my 240 w/ SR i looked down at the CA18. but i got to drive a 510 with one in it..... just balls man, just balls

you are getting a hell of a deal for 1500$....
okay, so i guess the 240z engine will do. as far as bolting in and getting mounts for it, is there a company that makes the mounts for it? and are there any issues i might run into with it?

Papi Chulo
Car: 72' Datsun 510

the L24 is longer than a V8.

It will not bolt in, and you can't just buy mounts for it.

Here, common swaps that have been done and there is more info on the web about them then you will ever need.

KA24eKA24deSR20detL20b/L18/Lz hybrid etcVG30e
Modified by Papi Chulo at 12:23 PM 10/4/2009

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Seen some VG30DETT bolted in too........

gurkgurkgurk

okay so my buddy refreshed my memory on what engine and transmission it would come with. he says its a 5 speed and engine from a 240sx. and that in order to put the engine in id have to drop the crossmember and have mounts welded. and he knows a shop thatll do it for acouple hundred bucks. this sound about right?

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”