Datsun 510 5-Speed Dogleg Swap Help/Tips Needed

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
209_P510
Car: 1971 Datsun 510

Hello everyone, it is about time I ditched my Borg-Warner column shift auto in favor of a Dogleg 5speed ^_^

Problem is, that I have heard and read that the swap is straightfoward and is a straight bolt in. But other sources say that it requires some cutting or modification of some sort. Can some one point me in the right direction? What I have so far is:

-Dogleg 5 speed with cable-5 bolt flywheel -driveshaft (not sure from what car... but it should fit since 510 and 200SX shafts are supposed to be the same length, right?)-new clutch kit for 200SX, including throwout bearing and a little brass bushing looking thing... yeah I'm not exactly an experience mechanic -clutch master cylinder -pedal assembly

My main concern is that it isn't going to be the direct bolt in I've heard it would be. Is there some sort of mount that has to be moved or modified? Will the 5 bolt flywheel I have fit a L16? Should I use the 200SX throwout bearing or a 510 4speed one? I've heard of shift fork problems and mis alignment, is this a common issue? If so, what can I do to set up right? Will there be a problem with mounts/etc because of switching from an auto?

What do you guys think? I want to do the install in a weekend, with a good amount preparation of course. I just don't want to tear the thing down and then be left with a non running car - it's my daily. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

^__^

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

I wonder why no one has responded yet . I wish I were ableto help you, but I haven't a clue. I do love dogleg shifters though. I haven't had one in a while .

geneo25
Car: 2007 G35 Sedan
1972 510 2dr
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Have you solved your problem yet?

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”