Datsun 320 Door weatherstrip

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Ted Heaton
Car: 64 Datsun 1500 Roadster
63 NL320 Sport truck

Datsun 320 door weatherstrip.
The Miracle NL320 Fit!
Here is a nice replacement if your tired of that rotten 50 year old weatherstripping on your 320.
A local truck brother, Joe E., did a lot of searching for usable newer parts when he restored his L320 a few years ago.
He found that the rear door rubber from the Volvo S80 models (1998-2006) fit the 320 body seams really good.
He got rubbers from a junk yard that were like new, no one uses the back seats, and one rubber does a L320 door with some extra.
It is modern weatherstripping with nice felt like material on the inside.
The mounting groove is moldable and can be squeezed together for a good, no glue, fit.
The weatherstrip is thick so you have to modify the aluminium trim scuff plate or cut the inner rubber back to fit the plate or leave off the scuff plate.
He got me some and I just got around to installing it on my NL320 and AMAZINGLY it is correct length for an NL320 door opening.
NO cutting.! It fits perfect! I could not believe it.
I wanted to keep the scuff plate so I flattened out the curved top section to cover more of the thicker weatherstrip.
The hardest part of this job is cleaning off all the ancient glued on weatherstrip and
removing the rusted screws that hold the aluminum scuff plate The screws threads are exposed under the floor pan
and with lots of heat I got then all to back out without breaking any.
An interesting discovery was that the NL320 scuff plate is shaped differently than the L320 plate and it is 2 pieces. It seems that Nissan did not make a longer 1 piece plate but added a small 6" section at the rear to make up for the longer NL320 door and body opening. It is shown in the parts catalog.

Conner
Car: SRL31101633
1964 L320

Thanks for the info about the Volvo weatherstrip. Sounds like a very good option.
A year or two ago I bought what is allegedly some NOS 320 door weatherstripping. One of the strips has a Nissan label and part number 76802-09104 on it. Here are some pictures including a thin cross-section of the weatherstripping, which would have to be glued in place like the original. Note that it has ribs on it.

http://www.mydatsunroadster.com/misc/do ... ng%202.pdf

I looked in to having this stuff reproduced by the price seemed prohibitive to me at the time, i.e. I didn't think people would pay what it cost to have it made.

Ted Heaton
63 NL320 Sport truck

VERY interesting.
The parts catalog identifies your trim 09104 as correct for the 320 N, U an V series.
The 320 and L320 trim is marked 08700 which is correct for these 320 vehicles.
Hard to know if there was a difference without some pics of the original weatherstripping.
Ted

Ted Heaton
63 NL320 Sport truck

I have uncovered a revision/correction to the door rubber fitment. The FRONT door Volvo S80 rubber fits the NL320 doors perfectly. The rear door rubber is shorter but still long enough for the L320 doors. About 3-4" left over.. Sorry about the error. Just found it now when I was fitting the door rubber to the passenger side. I did not realized I had both Front and Rear Volvo door rubber. I got them from a local truck brother some time ago and must have forgot what exactly I had.

Ted.

Return to “Datsun 320”