Datsun 2dr 510 model 69-71?

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
BetlogElite
Car: nissan titan

Newbie here and I want to know all about this car... I was interested in it when I went to the race at Qualcom stadium here in San Diego, there were like 8 of them in a row, I was with a racer friend who has a little bit of knowledge about this car and told me that It has a very good potencials as a drag car, for me of course I will not drag at this time for I dont have the car at the moment... Im really interested in the 510 2 door cars so here's my big question( I know for ya'll it isnt) whats the difference between the 1969, 1970, and 1971? as for the body do they look similar? any changes of body style of each year? If by any chance can please post some pictures if ya'll dont mind?I have lot more questions regarding this type of car and hoping to ya'll who are fanatics can help me out.Thanks.

Roy

Gensaiken
Car: 71 Datsun 510

Well, they aren't really meant for drag racing but they can do it. They are really meant for twisty roads and auto X.

Anyways, the diffrences.

1969: This was the first year for the 510 (ok, 68 actually). This would be the one to avoid. There were a lot of things on this model year that are specific to ONLY that year. Mostly odd body parts. You can identify them by the arrow front markers on the sides of the fender and the round dot rear marker light on the rear quarter panel. They also have a very diffrent dash than all of the later 510s. I would avoid a 69 if you can, just a hassle. The good pieces from a 69 would be the front engine crossmember because of the lower mounting points of the LCAs (lower control arms). So when you lower the car they are straight instead of at an angle with the later style. Not a big diffrence but some people care.

1970: Sort of a transition year from early to late. I have one of these. The main problem is the wiring. My car while looking like a later style has half wiring from the 69 and half from the 71-73. Which makes for a lot of head scratching when you look at a wiring diagram. Nothing wrong with this model year. Looks the same as a later style with most of the same equipment.

1971: I think a few small cosmetic things here and there but basicly the 510 that everyone has come to know. I deal to find because 90% of the 510 parts you are going to find out there will be for this model year.

Hope this answers your questions... If you want a more specific list I can post a link.

BetlogElite

Thanks Gensaiken, I didnt know that they go up till 1973? I saw a 1969 on craigslist for $1700, not running though... he said that it needs wiring done, it has a ka24de engine in it, I was going to ask you if its a good deal but I think I change my mind since you told me to avoid the 1969's and yes can you please post that link that you're talking about, thanks again... and oh are you suggesting to get a 1971 instead?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I believe they made them on up till the late 70's they just changed the body a bit more and made them heavier and less performance oriented, more of a family car

Gensaiken

well I wouldn't say avoid 69's like the plague or anything...

Just be cautious of thses "projects" for sale. Usually some one has already hacked up everything and you won't know where anything goes. 510's are pretty tricky. If you don't have any experince doing engine swap kind of work (wiring, welding, understanding of engine and suspenion) it will be pretty hard and a chance you'll end up in the same situation, selling it half done.

Look around for a clean 510 with a Lseries engine in it. Maybe a suped up L20. Just make sure the car is really clean. If anything you can always swap a motor later on down the road. The L20 may not win you any races but it should be enough for autoX and normal driving. Most people i've talked to who are attempting a 510 project before even driving a 510 usually get really frustrated because it is taking so long and they WANT to drive a 510!

So my advice to you is to take your time. Everytime you buy a 510 that is the "best deal" an even better deal comes a week later. Just keep looking for one at the right price in good condition, and be willing to travel a bit to get the right deal. Get an idea of what you are looking for (big project, or driver) and how much you have to spend if you want to do a project (510's aren't CHEAP!!!).

As of right now my car wins some awards but i've got easily 10,000 invested (car + all modifications) and I'm in the process of spending 1,000 on minor suspension upgrades.

SO, keep this all in mind as you buy a 510 project. Go talk to all these 510 people you see and just make friends with 510's and join whatever local club there is and attend all kinds of events. Get familiar with the scene.

Heres that link, it s a VERY extensive list of EVERYTHING changed on a 510 over the years of production.

510 Spotters guide

Here are a few other links you should get familiar with:

Dime Quarterly510 RealmRatsun ForumDatsuns.comDatsun510.com

From there you should have a lot to look at and learn about. If you still want some pics let me know.

BetlogElite

Its hard to find a 70' and 71' model and if theres one up for sale the cheapest one are like $4500 I just want to start out with a running car, no fancy things nor mods under $2000... thanks for the link and oh can you post some pics? Thanks again.

Gensaiken

BetlogElite

Oh! I found a 1970 for 2500 but its in san francisco though... it has a 1600 motor in it, is that a good deal do you think?

Gensaiken

It is all about the condition of the body. If it has a 1600 but has a really clean body. Mostly I'm talking about no big rust areas and everything looks solid. That should be ok. Try and find something where it still has the L series and some one has attempted to do a little tuning up but nothing major. Those kind of cars usually go for 1000-2000.

No need to rush. If anything I would get more familiar with the 510's before I would attempt to buy one. Maybe drive one and get to know the people. Give it some time before you jump in to something.

partyboy6971
Car: 1970 datsun 510, 1970 f-250 with 460, 79 bronco.

im getting mine for 300. with a 1600. runs good. just needs paint and interior. but its gettin a v8 too. the body is nearly perfect exceot 2 small dents in the front drivers fender

Gensaiken

Oh and if you want to find a few San Diego 510 owners check this thread out.

Lots of San Diego people right there.

fairladyZZZ
Car: Rockstar silvia, Lamborghini galardo, toyota seqouia, CRX, Mazda 3, Parotech 306

isnt the 69 also the rarest one to find

S13Teddy
Car: R32 Skyline, S13

BetlogElite wrote: but I think I change my mind since you told me to avoid the 1969's
Mine was a 69, but I can't see why you'd want to avoid 69s in particular. Apart from the dash and sidemarkers being different, the body of the car is nearly the same.

As you can see, obviously I did have the round sidemarkers and the arrows in the front, but I had a 71-73 dash swap, and I enjoyed my 69 very much...

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”