Datsun 280Z Power Line Circuit

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Scarecrowtim
Car: 1972 240z

Hello, I am working on a 78 280Z that will not start. We have used the troubleshooting steps in the FSM and have performed the continuity check at the 35-pin computer connector. In doing so we had very low voltage (0.4 volts) in the “Power Line Circuit” which was item 2-(2). We also had this same low voltage for each of the “Injector and Resistors”, item 2-(3). Where do I look to find the drop in voltage? I assume maybe a relay but have no idea. Can someone please tell me what to do to find the drop in voltage? Thanks in advance.

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

Scarecrowtim wrote: performed the continuity check at the 35-pin computer connector. .
I hope you didn't do that as continuity check means to pass current though to get a return. This can cause permanent damage to the ECM. If you ment voltage check at pin 35 and are only getting 0.4 volts. Your problem is likely poor grounding.

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

If you ment you did a continuity test on pin 35 and got 0.4 ohms resistance you just made a mistake and shouldn't do that again. Ive cooked 2 ecm's myself doing that back in the day. This number would be worthless without an electronics background.

Possibly a pin of the ecm requires 12 volts and its not getting anything and the 0.4volts you are picking up is "ghost". Thats pretty much nothing anyways not even really a number to use. Pretend you got a zero volts and continue diagnosis assuming no power to pin 35 and the injector resistors.

Scarecrowtim
Car: 1972 240z

I followed the instructions in the Factory Service Manual under "Continuity Test" which tells you to check continuity and or voltage from the various pins. For these pins I did not perform the continuity test and instead measured the voltage which should be the line voltage but as you mentioned I received a ghost voltage. I am unfamiliar with these circuits. could it be a relay that is bad or a fusible link? Thanks in advance for any input.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”