Dashboard rattles

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
yellowbear
Car: EX35

Well my 2008 EX35 RWD Journey is running great. No problems except for an annoying rattle in the dash. Service dept. says it takes4 hours to remove and soundproof dash and re-install. Have to leave the EX for two days. I finally drove with them and they heard the rattle close to the passenger, windshield area plus I have another small rattle right above the navigation screen, mid dash. These are really annoying, not a real big deal, but irritating. Anyone else having similar rattles?

Lovemyex35

Yes, I have a rattle in the dash near the driver's side front speaker on my 08 Journey. It only rattles on a road with lots of small bumps, but it is very annoying and distracting. Is the dealership going to charge you to fix it or is that covers under warranty?

jmess

Check the plastic shroud at the base of windshield from the outside. There is a gap between the shroud and the windshield that can allow the plastic to vibrate against the windshield and make a variety of noises.
Modified by jmess at 9:23 PM 12/1/2009

jonkarn
Car: EX35 Balc/Black

I have an annoying vibration as well coming from the center Nav display area. If I push anywhere on the center part of the dash around the Nav or the radio or AC controls it stops the rattle. It should be covered under warranty. It is not top priority for me to have done right now, but I will be bringing it in to be fixed. 2 days doesnt matter, just get a G35 loaner. As much as this little rattle annoys me in a $40grand car, my '05 Saab 93 sounded like one big rattle box, with the cheap dash materials sounding like a symphony especially in the winter. The EX doesn't even come close.

Lovemyex35

Thanks, I'll check that out. Would I need to put some sort of insulation in that gap?

yellowbear

Well - I got my car back yesterday and they said they found the rattle. It was the glove box light harness. They had to remove the glove box. They said they were lucky and so far it is quiet. I had a G37 loaner basic model that really was not as nice as my EX. It does have better mileage and a little more pep but it is harder to get in, upshifts and downshifts like my old Lexus (7 speed) and has very sensitive brakes. I was glad to get mine back. Will let you know if it cured the problem.Yellowbear

yellowbear

Infinity seems to have fixed my big rattle but the small dashboard rattle over the Nav unit continues. I am going to try a few more things before bringing it back in. Very impressed with Infinity service, but quality of materials is not up to par with a luxury vehicle.

Jaymes
Car: 2017 QX50 BEAST WAGON

Was searching for dashboard rattles and I found this thread. I agree with the last post, build quality is just not there with the interior.

Mine is a 2017 qx50

I have a rattle/crackling sound coming from the dash near the speakers from both ends. I think the crackling sound is comig from the middle of the dash. It makes me feel like the entire dashboard is loose and rattling every time I hit the small bumps that rattle he car. I also have an annoying trunk rattle that has grown in sound over time. Very annoying and it makes me feel like i'm driving a hooptie.

Anybody else got rattles?

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

my 2008 has no rattles.... solid AF and great build quality.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

XIS wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:03 pm
my 2008 has no rattles.... solid AF and great build quality.
Agreed, my 08 is a rock. Granted I got it in July and haven't driven it much, and it has low mileage, but it quite and tight. My old Subaru dash rattled like crazy (bought I loved that car).

Jaymes

Maybe the older ones were made with more attention and quality materials. I swear that the newer cars are being made with cheaper and cheaper materials, and they just don't feel as solid as the cars did in the past. Cars are just being made to be 'disposable' and not to last. Starting with the new 'water based' paint that is supposed to be 'eco-friendly'. I see so many cars that are not even that old with faded, brittle paint on the roofs and trunks/hoods. I think that's just another tactic to make the cars look more dated so that peple feel the need to buy new cars every 5-6 years. /rant

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

No interior rattles on my 08. I know that I do have a rattle that's coming from the underbody; could be the one rusted and stuck bolt I didn't attach to the fender liner, or it could be coming from the heat shields from the two catalytic converters. Who knows? Given my car's age and the mileage it has accumulated, I don't expect it to feel brand new. But mostly everything else seems to feel pretty solid with the car. My wife agrees and wishes that it never gets to the point we'd have to make a decision about getting rid of our EX.

While I do agree that there will always be some cost cutting going on with the newer cars, I don't really think that cars nowadays are made to be 'disposable'. I don't want to say more to support my view, as I think it would really start to stray from the original topic of this thread and I don't think most would care about reading a long winded post from me anyway.

Bocatrip

NO Rattles at all on my 2017 QX50 after almost 7,000 miles. So far so good. Way different than when I purchased my 04 G35 Coupe which although was beautiful and quite desireable rattled like a tin cup. Loved the car but hated the crappy Nissan workmenship.

Jaymes

Found the trunk rattle to be a broken clip rattling around inside

Dashboard and random rattles/creaks seem to pop up here and there but they are at an acceptable level for the time being

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I take that back... I DO have a rattle. It is in the sunglasses holder on the headliner. when I go over decent cracks in the road, that sucker rattles/vibrates. I put some cloth over the latch and close it through that to stop it. It has been 'fixed' like that for a couple years.
For the folks that hear something in the hatch, it could just be your license plate. I have been sticking those padded things you put under table legs/chair legs under my plate to fix that...now you don't even hear anything when you slam it shut.

Bocatrip

Owning an Infiniti/Nissan comes with the territory of the rattles that come with it. When I purchased my 2004 G35 Coupe new in 2003, it had nothing but rattles and I was losing my mind. Over time I found fixes to minimize them but never eliminate them. Hard plastics and cheap materials are to blame, but don't expect it to be as sound proof as the older quality vehicles such as Lexus and Audi. By the way....for what its worth...My QX50 after 10 months has not one rattle... but it is only 10 months old. Actually feels very solid. Much more so than my G35. Good luck my friend. Rattles are like electrical gremlins.... very hard to diagnose at times.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”