Dash Removal

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Max2M35
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35

Hello all, I am considering taking on a slightly major project, that many would probably find insane. But considering the circumstances, I think I'd be better off tackling it. I have a 2006 M35 Base, with absolutely NO options besides NAV. No BOSE, heated/ventilated seats, rear view camera, HID, nothing. 

Now, I know most would say that it'd be easier to purchase one with those options, but considering that my car is paid for, it'd be cheaper to add them. Yes, time consuming, but cheaper. With that being said, I just want to know the easiest route to take, in regards to the dash board removal. I have a general idea on how to do it, but I wanted to ask for some expert, or even near expert advice on how someone may have done this. And yes, I have searched, but got results on how to remove items within the console but not the entire dash unit. 

If anyone has any advice on how to accomplish this task, I'd greatly appreciate it! And I'll be sure to keep everyone updated (if anyone is interested of course) on how the project goes.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I think the details for removing the entire dash should be in the FSM:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... M35/ip.pdf

Just wondering, have you looked into ALL of the parts necessary for this upgrade?
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... isual.html

Max2M35

Hello. Thanks for that!

Yes, I have looked into it and I THINK I'm up for the task lol. Luckily, I have access to a few M's that have the options, and can pay close to nothing for each part. I think my main concern is how the harnesses are being ran from the engine bay to the interior. But hopefully after the dash is removed. It'll be more revealing.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Cool beans! This sounds like an interesting project.

Do everyone a favor and document your work in progress. Take pictures whenever possible.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

My concern would be the integration of the ECU with any options. Make sure your ECU has the same part # as the ones in the "loaded" cars.

Max2M35

ALRIGHTY!!!!

So first off, let me say that it was an ABSOLUTE success. Well, sorta anyway.

Basically, my M35 is an 2006 Base with the only option being Navigation, and nothing else. I took the liberty in adding a back up camera, the 2ch BOSE, AFS, Heated/Ventilated front seats and Pre-Crash seatbelts.

I will say the BOSE sounds much better than that basic system. But still lacked low end, which I already had a set of 12" in the trunk. Overall, I am pleased with the system.

NOW, I did get the camera control module to work, however, in reverse, all I get is a black screen with "look back before reversing," or something to that effect. I traced everything down and I'm not understanding what the issue could be.

Also, for the time being, my heated and ventilated seats aren't working, and I know why. The main harness coming from the engine room needs to be replaced with the harness that includes those features. NOW. My question is, has anyone EVER worked on anything behind the engine, between what I assume is the first partition of the firewall, and the actual firewall itself? Its EXTREMELY tight back there, and I cannot for the life of me get that harness to come out. I don't want to cut it, but I mean............... Any input there would be appreciated.

Other than those two issues, everything else was flawless and easy (I did forget to plug the fuel level unit back in, and scared me s*** with the gas and SES lights on as well as a "empty" tank). It was just time consuming as hell! Definitely something I'd only do just this once, unless I had to do it again lol. It was somewhat of a direct swap as far as the harnesses are concerned, but being that I went from 06' styled harnesses to an 07, there were 2-3 modules that I had to bring over with the new harness. Save for the additional modules that provided the features I wanted.

Also for anyone looking to do this as well, note that when adding the pre-crash seatbelts, you have to replace the front seatbelts themselves as well as add the brake stroke sensor on the pedal. Unfortunately, my seatbelt light is flashing right now due to that lack of the sensor, due to me not being able to pull the harness that includes that connector. :gotme

I am not good at write-ups and how-to's, so if anyone has a question regarding anything, feel free to ask. And I'll do my best to assist! I have pictures, but I uhm... I tried to upload them and they said the files were too large lol. What do I do?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Glad to hear it did not turn into a bloody nightmare. I reckon you should be on the list of gurus we seek when we have dash / sensor issue - sort of a 'roads scholar' LOL.

Max2M35

Larz wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:41 pm
Glad to hear it did not turn into a bloody nightmare. I reckon you should be on the list of gurus we seek when we have dash / sensor issue - sort of a 'roads scholar' LOL.
I'd be honored lol.

But, here are some pics I took during the project.

https://ibb.co/album/jzzN87

My hands are STILL healing from this lol.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

This is amazing work. I want to thank you from discouraging me from swapping out my cracked up dashboard I was planning on doing in the spring lol.

I would recommend for anyone else wanting to upgrade their base system, it would be much easier to integrate aftermarket stuff and tie it directly in with base factory stuff (besides the seats) and have everything look and operate as factory.

Max2M35

TDot wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:35 pm
This is amazing work. I want to thank you from discouraging me from swapping out my cracked up dashboard I was planning on doing in the spring lol.

I would recommend for anyone else wanting to upgrade their base system, it would be much easier to integrate aftermarket stuff and tie it directly in with base factory stuff (besides the seats) and have everything look and operate as factory.
Lol it wasn’t that bad! I most definitely would not do it again though. But I appreciate you.

Did you not get the airbag recall done? That’s how my dash got replaced for free.

TDot

Wait, what?!? I've had this car sitting down for a few years, I'm reviving it right now. When they replace the air bags they replace the dash with a new one as standard? Or do i have to specifically ask for it?Or do I have to bring one in for them to do it?

midnightclub619
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

TDot wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:23 pm
Wait, what?!? I've had this car sitting down for a few years, I'm reviving it right now. When they replace the air bags they replace the dash with a new one as standard? Or do i have to specifically ask for it?Or do I have to bring one in for them to do it?
Max2M35 is correct. the airbag recall several years back, but I assume is still in place, dealerships were replacing the dash due to the removal process sometimes would crack the dashes. I had mine done years ago and my dash had no cracks but they knew the problem and replaced my dash anyways with the airbag replacement.

TDot

Good to know, looks like procrastination worked to my advantage this time around. If I did it back then they would have swapped out a perfectly good dash and I'd be stuck with a cracked up dash now. Now I can get a fresh crack free dash for my M revival :mike fingers crossed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

TDot wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:59 pm
If I did it back then they would have swapped out a perfectly good dash and I'd be stuck with a cracked up dash now. Now I can get a fresh crack free dash for my M revival
:lolling: :dblthumb:

weissman
Car: 2007 M35X Tech/

dealer changed my cracked dash under airbag recall also.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”