Dash disassembly - tips on removing Cluster Lid A (upper)?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
emm3seven
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x w/Tech + Touring

Planning to dig in to the dashboard of my 2011 M37 this week, with the goal of removing the "combination meter" (a.k.a. instrument cluster/speedometer) so I can get a look at the part number on the back of it.

Looking at the FSM, it seems straightforward:

- Remove "Cluster Lid A (upper)" - this is the suggestively curvy sunshade over the gauges
- Remove "Cluster Lid A" - this is the complex large trim piece that holds the buttons on either side of the gauge
- Remove "Combination meter" - the goal

Has anyone done this before? I'm scratching my head a little at the first step. The FSM suggests that the "Cluster Lid A (upper)" snaps in with six metal clips, which implies that you just grab the thing firmly and yank in the proper direction:

However, I found this pic of a replacement part on eBay here, and I saw five clips and a screw instead of six clips, which scares me a bit:

Wisdom welcomed. Thanks!

Edits - added more pics/links

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I don't recall anyone removing their dash and posting a DIY. According to the Infinitipartsonline website (which I use often) the part number for the Cluster lid:
Cluster Lid - Infiniti (68241-1MA0B)
Here is the page at Infinitipartsonline:
https://www.infinitipartsonline.com/oem ... Ni1nYXM%3D
This may seem a bit humorous, but it is not meant to be: Whenever I attempt to remove or modify anything on my car that could result in damage, I always check the price of the replacement. Then I weigh that cost against what I want to do and that becomes part of my decision to proceed. In your case, an OEM replacement part is only $200 so I say have at it!
If possible, please take pics and possibly post a DIY so that members have that data for the future.

emm3seven
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x w/Tech + Touring

Thanks Larz!

I took it slow and careful and managed to remove the "Cluster Lid A (upper)". There is indeed a screw at the back, but the screw does not have to be removed - it seems to act more like a safety catch in case the clips let go in a crash or something.

For posterity, here's a picture with the part removed - as with the picture above, red squares are where the clips go, blue circle is where the mystery screw head goes. You can see that there's a an extra bit to the opening, with a channel shaped like an upside-down T that the screw head slips into.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”