Dash Creak or Rattle and other Noises

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
jyroflux
Car: 2009 Nissan Cube 1.8 SL

When it is cold outside or even if I'm just driving around at night when the temperature drops, a creaking sound comes from the dash area that seems to emanate from the center near the radio (head unit). I thought it was the radio, but I can't get the creaking noise to stop no matter where I push on the radio. But, if I push on the dash above the radio the creaking stops. I'm thinking it's where the dash meets the window.

Also, my fan has started to make noise. In other cars, if a leaf or something got stuck in the vent, cranking the fan all the way up for a while would force it out. No such luck with the cube. I know the air cabin filter can get clogged, but the dealer recently changed mine - come to think of it - the noise actually began sometime after that.

Any thoughts on either of these noises?

chompsticks
Car: Cube Krom

There might be something between the dash and the something behind the radio. Mine is stuffed full of crap...

But if you take out the radio you might be able to find out. I remember you can push on the top of the dash and have it touch other parts.

As far as the fan... do you mean for the a/c and heat?

jyroflux

Thanks I'll give that a try.

The fan when it's just blowing air or a/c. I'd thought about putting some dynamat in, but if it only makes me able to hear the noise fan better, I'll just wait until I figure out where the noise is coming from. I hear it most from the vent to the right of the steering wheel.

chompsticks

Hmm, I am not too sure about the vent noise. At first I thought you were talking about the a/c grind.

Haven't read or heard anything about it anywhere else either. Maybe the noise in the vent is also part of your rattling?

jyroflux

I was thinking the same thing.

damian666robin
Car: 2009 nissan cube

havnt heard about this before, my cube was part of those noisy ones behind the ripple window but it got fixed after putting dynamat thru the whole rear area, made a huge difference

jyroflux

I found this in the instrument panel (ip.pdf):

INSTRUMENT PANEL
Most incidents are caused by contact and movement between:
1. The cluster lid A and instrument panel
2. Acrylic lens and combination meter housing
3. Instrument panel to front pillar garnish
4. Instrument panel to windshield
5. Instrument panel mounting pins
6. Wiring harnesses behind the combination meter
7. A/C defroster duct and duct joint
These incidents can usually be located by tapping or moving the components to duplicate the noise or by pressing on the components while driving to stop the noise. Most of these incidents can be repaired by applying felt cloth tape or silicon spray (in hard to reach areas). Urethane pads can be used to insulate wiring harness. CAUTION: Never use silicone spray to isolate a squeak or rattle. If the area is saturated with silicone, the recheck of repair becomes impossible.

chompsticks

I take it the rattle hadn't gone away?

jyroflux

We had some warm nights so it barely made a sound. Then once it started to cool off in the night again, I could hear it. I'm going to have to get in there and poke around. I just don't want to make it worse so I'm trying to go in armed with at least a little bit of what to look for.

chompsticks

Maybe while you go in for your warranty you can see if they can fix the rattle if it is really really noticable.

jyroflux

I'll do that. I have to take it in again next Wednesday.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

That dash creak/rattle seemed to be fairly common in earlier Versas. We had a couple of people post fixes. If I can find them I'll post the links here but in the meantime it might be worth your while to search the Versa forum. Looks like Nissan has the same problem popping up again.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Here's one discussion we had on the subject.

dash-rattle-headcount-t312687.html?hilit=dash%20rattle

jyroflux

My dash rattle is the same as the cold weather rattle in the Versa that comes from the center of the dash. I can press on the center of the dash toward the windshield and it stops. I'll try the foam wedged between the window and the dash.

Now the fan vent noise has gone away. Go figure. They were supposed to look at that when I went in for the recall next week. If I haven't fixed the rattle by then, then I'll let them look at that if it seems they have a clue how to fix it.

Return to “Cube Forum”