Dash cracks

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
seitzdj61
Car: Infinity EX 2008 Journey

I recently purchased an 08 EX Journey immaculate and low miles but there are cracks around the ac vents that are a problem. I read a class action suite was in place and Infinity is to fix as it is common. Please can someone advise or if not correct a solution to repair. The cracks are long but very thin . bothers me as it is sooo clean.

Bocatrip

There is no class action lawsuit that I am aware of for your car. Yes, Infiniti has replaced defective dashboards on FX models and depending upon dealer discretion some G35s as well. Other manufacturers such as Lexus have also replaced these items. I don't have knowledge of anything related to the EX but having a good relationship with an Infiniti dealership as well as the length of ownership would be factors in getting satisfaction. Generally, southern states with constant heat are affected the most.I'd search the FX forums to see what was involved in getting replacement.

sev
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

I got a similar problem, my dash gets sticky and is melting.

I went to the junkyard and pulled a dash from a donor car. I'm going to wait a little while to see if it starts melting, if it doesnt, i'll probably swap it over.

Sucks that infiniti wont stand by their workmanship and wont replace. Toyota replaced dashes on 2002 and 2003 4 runners as recently as 2016.

tdrhea136
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I heard about this issue before I got my EX35 when I was first looking into getting a G35. I haven't read anything as far as a recall or anything for it so if I were you I'd do what the others recommended and get a "new" dash from a junk yard and then start using a UV protectant on all of the vinyl in your EX. I've been using meguiars protectant wipes about once a month after just wiping all the vinyl down with some soapy water and a microfiber rag.
Avoid using any kind of oil based shine like armorall as the oil essentially acts like a magnifying glass and can magnify the effects of the UV light and heat from the sun.

sev

So I went to the junkyard and pulled a dash from another ex35 (they’re rare) and brought it home. Decided to wait a few weeks before going through the trouble of putting it in. Guess what? It’s also exhibiting signs of getting sticky.... what a waste of time and money...

I also tried putting 303 aerospace protectant on my current dashboard and it didn’t help much.

Infiniti corporate called me to follow up with a survey on our 2019 Qx60 and I asked them about the melting dashboard situation with my ex, which we purchased new and they told me there’s nothing they can do to help.

Frustrating all around.

I’m thinking of pulling my dashboard and having an upholstery shop cover it in leather, but it’s hard to justify the cost

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I feel for you owners who have this problem. Must be incredibly frustrating to say the least. I'm fortunate that I didn't experience this issue.

While there's no cheap or easy way to fix a dash that's already started to melt and crack, I think there are a few preventive actions you can take to prolong its life. Here are some I've thought about:

-Keep the car cool by parking in the shade (or indoors) as much as possible. Also keep the windows cracked open a bit if you can.
-Use a sun shade for the windshield when parked outside.
-In addition to tinting the side and back windows, get a heat rejecting film installed on the windshield. There are a few 80% VLT films on the market that are considered clear enough where it doesn't look like the windshield is tinted (keeps it legal looking).

If I had encountered this problem while I had my EX, I probably would have just bought a dash cover; especially if my car were older and had higher mileage. Yeah, it might look a bit tacky; but it always felt like I got more sun glare reflected off the light colored dash into my eyes than I wanted anyway.

Bocatrip

NJGuy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am
I feel for you owners who have this problem. Must be incredibly frustrating to say the least. I'm fortunate that I didn't experience this issue.

While there's no cheap or easy way to fix a dash that's already started to melt and crack, I think there are a few preventive actions you can take to prolong its life. Here are some I've thought about:

-Keep the car cool by parking in the shade (or indoors) as much as possible. Also keep the windows cracked open a bit if you can.
-In addition to tinting the side and back windows, get a heat rejecting film installed on the windshield. There are a few 80% VLT films on the market that are considered clear enough where it doesn't look like the windshield is tinted (keeps it legal looking).

If I had encountered this problem while I had my EX, I probably would have just bought a dash cover; especially if my car were older and had higher mileage. Yeah, it might look a bit tacky; but it always felt like I got more sun glare reflected off the light colored dash into my eyes than I wanted anyway.
I agree with your suggestions but would add one more.......NEVER APPLY ANY CONDITIONER OR ANY KIND OF CHEMICIAL TO THE DASH!

tdrhea136
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

Bocatrip wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:18 pm
NJGuy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

I'm curious about your statement on applying stuff to the dash. Do you mean products like armor all, oil based stuff? Because I've always heard that you should apply some UV protectant product to protect your dash from the issues discussed.
I agree with your suggestions but would add one more.......NEVER APPLY ANY CONDITIONER OR ANY KIND OF CHEMICIAL TO THE DASH!

sev

Finally gave up on finding a solution to my dash getting sticky. It had gotten so bad that driving around 10 mins in the sun would cause the dash to get gooey and start reflecting on the windshield.

I couldn't, in my right conscience, sell the car to an individual with that issue and if i disclosed it i'd end up taking a significant loss on value, so i ended up trading in my beloved ex35 today for a CPO 2016 QX50. I negotiated a somewhat decent trade deal.

It's bittersweet because my wife and I bought the ex when we were dating and now we're married with two kids. That thing saw us through alot of changes in our lives and was extremely reliable. I hope it goes to a good home.

The 2016 is nice! Has a few extra features like homelink and memory seats, but also doesnt have the music box hd and video in on the nav system. both features i barely used.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

sev wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:16 pm
I couldn't, in my right conscience, sell the car to an individual with that issue and if i disclosed it i'd end up taking a significant loss on value, so i ended up trading in my beloved ex35 today for a CPO 2016 QX50. I negotiated a somewhat decent trade deal.

It's bittersweet because my wife and I bought the ex when we were dating and now we're married with two kids. That thing saw us through alot of changes in our lives and was extremely reliable. I hope it goes to a good home.

The 2016 is nice! Has a few extra features like homelink and memory seats, but also doesnt have the music box hd and video in on the nav system. both features i barely used.
Sounds nice. I'm sure that you can't get a more similar car, and you're probably so familiar with it's interface and workings. There are probably a couple of welcome updates as well.

The 2016 model is the one that Infiniti extended the wheelbase on, right? While I'm guessing the QX60 is the primary kid hauler, I'd think that the extra room in the backseat of the QX50 vs. the EX35 gives you guys more flexibility and comfort if the kids ride in it.

sev

Yeah, for the money, you can’t be come close to the performace and riding dynamics of the qx50/ex35.

325 hp and a 7500 rpm redline, and it’s a very comfortable and sporty ride. I bought it with 37k mi for a little over 20k.

Yeah the 2016 has the extended wheelbase and boy it has a staggering amount of rear leg room compared to the old model. Since our qx60 is a lease, we will be using the 50 for secondary baby hauling duties, the extra space is totally welcomed.

sev

Hey all,

Since I have sold my sticky dash ex35, I have the spare dash laying around if anyone wants it. I can't guarantee it will get sticky, and I previously thought it WAS getting sticky but it's been sitting in my shed for a few months and gets some sun during the day and has no signs of sticky/melting dash. So it may be a viable replacement for someone that's in this predicament. Or maybe just buy you extra time.

Willing to let it go cheaper than what i paid for it. PM me or reply here.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”