DASH AND TAIL LIGHTS NOT WORKING

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
S13JBOY
Car: S13 240SX

OK I HAVE AN S13 240 , AND MY DASH AND TAIL LGHTS ARE NOT WORKING.THE BREAK LIGHTS SEEM TO BE WORKING, BUT NOT THE DAH OR TAIL LIGHTS.

ALSO , A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO MY CD DECK JUST DOESNT TURN ON.

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM CAN BE? NEED SOME ADVICE

goodsx95
Car: 1993 nissan 240sx

check the main fuse. Had a similar problem. Do your pwr locks/windows work?

S13JBOY

do u think you can explain to me where the main fuse is,, im kind of new to all this stuff.

Shift240sx
Car: 1989 240sx

check and see if your dome lights and blinkers are working if not then the most probable cause is the main fuse aka fusible link its a high amp fuse it will be under the hood its like 75 amps mine did the exact same thing but those fuses can usually only be bought at the dealership unless you have some of that fusible wire laying around but check to see what shorted it cause those fuses are like 15 to 20 bucks a pop

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Just dash & taillights? do your parking lights/side markers work?

Other things to check:

- check the fuses by the driver side kick panel, one of those may be blown out- if not there, check your taillight bulbs & taillight itself for corroded ground (typical problem w/ ground wire melting the plastic around it - clean that out)

If you are replacing a fuse & it keeps blowing, consider unhooking the cd player -> the way this is wired up could be causing the fuse to blow.

Skpike101
Car: 92 s13 & 96 u13

Hey i have the same problem. I just replaced a fuse that was supposed to be a 10A but had a 20A in it. I put a 10 Back in it because the panel cover thing said so.

My parking lights don't work (aren't turning on)

my headlights work but the cluster and tail lights don;t turn on with them

I may have shorted something out again but idk.

i'm going to try to trace what i can

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Ok, sounds like one of the light bulbs in your parking lights are not working properly.

Check each and every bulbs. Once you find one that is bad, replace it. The lighting circuit is connected - the dash lights went out because that's part of the system which Nissan designed to warn you "hey buddy, you don't have parking lights" - much easier than having to turn on your parking lights & running around the car each time.

At least that was the issue I've seen most common & I've experienced a couple times.

S13JBOY

well can u explain where the parking bulbs are located??

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

in the parking lights

goodsx95
Car: 1993 nissan 240sx

Shift240sx wrote:check and see if your dome lights and blinkers are working if not then the most probable cause is the main fuse aka fusible link its a high amp fuse it will be under the hood its like 75 amps mine did the exact same thing but those fuses can usually only be bought at the dealership unless you have some of that fusible wire laying around but check to see what shorted it cause those fuses are like 15 to 20 bucks a pop
when mine happened I just went to napa and found a main fuse for another vehicle where the blades would fit. Jammed it in there. fixed the problem drove to Courtesy Nissan and got the correct on. Cheap fix.

if you have more than one symptom I doubt it's a light bulb in the parking lights especially if the tail lights don't work either.

KLYPH
Car: Brougham

Same thing happened to me, tail lights out and dash lights out, but the brakes worked. I checked the fuses in the fuse box near your feet on the drivers side. Replaced 2 that were blown, they are fine.

chadbs13
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

hey, i just went thru the same problem. my parking lights werent working and the gauge lights aswell, it kept blowing fuses so i checked the wire harness that is located right above ur front drivers side tire. my car is slammed so it was rubbing thru the wires. i had to take off the bumper and fenders and fixed my harness and routed it a little higher. i thought his would work but it didnt so i followed some wires and such and found that it was my fender signal lights becuase they arnt hooked up right now and th wires were shorting out on the fender.

so hopefully this helps. either check ur harness by just jacking up your car or take off your fenders and stuff and check for any exposed/worn wires. i have friends with s13s and theyve almost all had the same harness rubbing issues. goo dluck

dezzs13
Car: 1991 240sx

had the same problem and i switched out the head light switch and everything works now :D

95silvia14
Car: 1995 240SX, 1993 s13 coupe

thats usally caused by a bare wire behind the fuse box that is shorting on something

maj Andres
Car: Zenki, '95 Model, w/ S14SR20DET

onosqv wrote:Just dash & taillights? do your parking lights/side markers work?

Other things to check:

- check the fuses by the driver side kick panel, one of those may be blown out- if not there, check your taillight bulbs & taillight itself for corroded ground (typical problem w/ ground wire melting the plastic around it - clean that out)

If you are replacing a fuse & it keeps blowing, consider unhooking the cd player -> the way this is wired up could be causing the fuse to blow.
Can you elaborate a little bit more on why the CD player having anything to do with the fuse keep blowing? (I just recently installed one) I am having the same problem with my tail, cluster, and parking lights not working. Have replaced the 10a fuse by the kick panel twice and both times it blew as soon as I turned on the parking lights switch.
Modified by maj Andres at 4:54 PM 4/6/2009

maj Andres

Ohhhhhh, I think I may know why mu fuse keeps blowing. When I did my radio harness on my car, I spliced the orange wires on the adapter harness (dimming?) to the radio harness. When originally they were not spliced into the radio when it had the old radio in there. I will unhook them, replace the fuse and check back in with you guys, hope it works.

maj Andres

It worked! I hooked up an extra wire that should not have been hooked up in the first place and that was causing my fuse to pop.

jdmxbB
Car: Toyota bB

i had the same problem on mine. good job.

fearless
Car: 1991 nissian 240sx se

i have a 1991 240sx. when i turn on my lights only my headlights come on. i have no dash lights or tail lights. but my brake lights and the dome light work just fine. i have checked and replaced all the bulbs and tried to change the fuses but they keep blowing. i can not find the problem.

Taylor008
Car: 240sx Coupe

Few things people with this problem need to check:

1. Headlight switch. This is what my problem was (the first time, haha.) Take your steering column cover off. Look at the stalk that turns your lights on and off (same as your left and right blinker) follow that to the box it connects to. Unhook that box from the steering column as well as the two plugs. There will be a white box on this, with a clear-ish plastic cover. Remove that plastic cover and make sure that your connections are solid.

Found a write-up.

post5555040.html?hilit=headlight%20switch#p5555040

Easy way to check is just undo that box, plug your plugs in and push on those copper arms with a screwdriver. If your lights come on when you push on the middle, iirc, connector, it's just that. You just need to bend (CAREFULLY!!!! DO NOT BREAK IT!) that until it will be a solid connection, but still be released when the headlight switch is turned off. (You will see as soon as you tinker with this thing and find out how it works.)

2. White box/fuses. This almost always is the case. When you put in an aftermarket stereo you spliced the wrong wires that is drawing too much amperage through that wire, which blows a fuse. You need to go in, and undo that. This will be the case if you keep blowing fuses. Replace fuse after undoing your spliced radio. This extends as far as the coin holder light. I accidentally touched it there and it blew my fuse AND my white box... Which is this: TCU, or timing control unit. It's a box by your fuse panel underneath your usdm driver side kick panel. Search for how to repair this, you will have a burnt out trace in this box lots of the time. If you can solder, you can fix it. Or just get a used one. This controls a lot of stuff, it's a common problems for S13's. These are cheaply made and will sometimes blow if it's not a fuse first.

Good luck!! I would check in that order, Fearless.

slammed01g20t
Car: 2001 infiniti g20t

i have a 2001 infiniti g20t and the dash backligh and taillights went out.

under my right front wheel there were 2 wires hanging down by the wheel and they had metal tips on them does that have nething to do with this or?
the wires are black and yellow?
help?

laredo_hustle
Car: 97 240sx SE & 00 Toyota Celica

Ok im having somewhat of the similar problem. This weekend I went to Houston, TX for a car meet and my way back I stoped at a abandoned parking lot and had a little fun with my car drifting. When it was all said and done we jumped back on the road and my girl that was driving in front of me told me that my right high beam was turned on, I had my regular headlights on at the same time. I tried to turned them off at the light switch but only my right headlight turned off leaving my right highbeam on and my left headlight also. We stoped at a gas station to check and see what had happened but I didnt see anything wrong at that time. So I disconnected the right highbeam and keept driving back home. About an hour before getting back into town my dashlights, fog lights, and back lights went out but like you other guys said my brake lights were still working. I tried turning on my dome light but it was working either. My radio was still working and left highbeam was woking also. Can I get help on this!!! Im going home tonight and check on the fuses and the light switch.

ncline
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Dude! Taylor08 you are the man... :bowrofl: I been struggling with this no dash lights and no running lights, soldering TCU units checking radio wires and dimmer switches for for what seems like forever...
I tried the headlight switch as a last resort not really thinking it would work but wow I was surprised... the only thing I did different was disassemble the switch further and sand down the contacts on the switch. Man were they rough from being turned on and off so many times they reminded me of the old points we had to clean and adjust in the early years...
Anyway hats off to you and please enjoy an adult beverage of your choice on me... :cheers: well I with I could buy you one. If you are ever in Northern Arkansas let me know and I will.

I can drive after dark again!!!!! :woot:
Nathan

180sx91

I had this happen change the stop lamp fuse under the steering wheel

born509
Car: 1990 240sx s13

IF YOUR TAIL LIGHTS AND DASH LIGHTS ARE OUT BUT YOUR BREAK LIGHTS WORK.
TRY THIS.
CHECK YOUR FUSES ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DRIVER FEET AREA.
YOUR FUSE SHOULD BE POPPED.
IF IT IS REPLACE IT.
IF IT EXPLODES AGAIN.
TAKE OUT YOUR CORNER LIGHTS. THE ONES ON THE SIDE FENDERS THAT BLINK WHEN YOUR TURN SIGNAL IS ON.
IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING COVERING YOUR TIRE WELDS THEN DISCONNECT YOUR CORNER LIGHTS AND PUT A NEW FUSE IN AND SEE IF YOUR LIGHTS COME ON.

freed1992
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx

I unhooked my cd player and it fixed it but the orange wire isn't connected to anything

woodchip09
Car: 95 nissan pathfinder

I have a 95 nissan pathfinder my head lights and tail lights stay on.
I have no brake lights and no dash board lights. Dash board lights are on but very low.abs light was on now its not. When I changed my break that is when I started
Having the problems. I have check the fuses on the driver side everything is fine.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem.

NaokiiNekoo
Car: Nissan Silvia RS13 (200sx)

To get started excuse my English
I'm from chile and tube the same problem, a quiet day I wanted to turn my lights but the Dash did not work, when I thought it could be the dummy switch, when you get home check and everything was in order, fuses continuity of cables bulbs etc etc etc ... but I had not realized that lit the taillights, but still, lit the headlights
During an arduous search cable comes with the problem :squint:
Nothing more and nothing less than the remote control of lights was failing
Why? the inside has very delicate sheets of copper that by using expired, therefore not made contact with the parking lights and involving the dash and lights patent and all ...
The solution was to double again one of these sheets of copper for all working again
Greetings from Chile

drftwel
Car: 1990 240sx hatch w/built SR20DET

:wtf2: Omg complete nightmare.... Dash lights won't come on, the clock illuminates but I I switch that bulb to another spot it won't light up any other part of the cluster, HELP....I don't have a head unit or dome lights just my trusty ole DJETRO Power FC , valentine one, and Greddy gauges found some bare wires in driver side fender well that I fixed and replaced all fuses and still can't seem to get it fixed...also my tail lights are stuck on as if the brake pedal is being continuously pushed even the 3rd brake light on the hatch ... Having to unplug them so keep from draining the battery

drftwel
Car: 1990 240sx hatch w/built SR20DET

AH HAAA!!! :bowrofl: ....... After fixing all the bad wires and checking all the fuses my dash lighting problem was still not fixed, however when changed my fusible links up under the hood it solved the problem so I FINALLY get to see my LED BULBS I bought months ago and have been dying to see firsthand how they look and I MUST RECOMMEND TO ALL TO BUY 194 LED BULBS THAT ARE AVAILABLE IN WALMART/AUTOZONE ARE MY DEFFINATELY ONE OF MY FAVORITE UPGRADES I HAVE (kinda pricey but worth every penny) :wavey: Image

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”