1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

So this is the successor to Demon Souls. I've played the latter, but not much. Dark Souls is supposed to be more forgiving, but still challenging.

I've not gotten very far yet (which is how this game works) but I'm liking it so far. It is challenging, and punishing, but in a way that doesn't frustrate. Sure, I've gotten mad (especially at myself--CLIFFS ARE BAD) but it's one of those setups that ENCOURAGES through death, rather than discourages. When I die, at first I'm just worried about getting my corpse back. But then I get the corpse back and I'm doing fine, so I figure I'll push on a bit. Then I get close to death so I wonder if I should head back to the Bonfire...but then everything will respawn, so I don't always want to do that (though many times I feel like respawns=kills=souls=let's do it). It's a game you learn through trial-and-error. Which is normally something I despise, but this game is built so thoroughly and so carefully around that premise that death never feels like failure. It feels like the next step toward whatever's next. You're SUPPOSED to die, and that makes it less frustrating.

Of course, then there's dying on a corpse run. All your humanity, souls, and stuff is lost. I dodged off a cliff once just feet from my corpse. Everything gone.

The game is also consummately grey. The floor is grey, the walls are grey, the sky is grey, your charcter is grey, enemies are grey, everything is GREY. Which is not really to my taste, but I can tolerate it.

It's a fun change of pace, like some bastard hybrid of Diablo II Hardcore mode and Zelda.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

SSSSTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPIIIIIDDDDDD!!!!!

This game is f*cking impossibly stupid hard. I played as the Knight and I could never beat the even the very FIRST BOSS. I was getting so pissed. I would drop down and hit him which took off like a tenth of power, then I would hit him once or twice which looked like I merely flicked him on his big toe from his power bar. But the thing that pissed me off most was that he would hit me hard and knock me down. My slow fatass was so sluggish that he would continue to hit me when Im down before I could even get up wtf! What a-hole makes a game like that!? I would die in about 4 of those hits every time.

I said F*CK this game, packed it up, took it back for a store credit along with Batman (another stupidass game) and got a much better game than both combined, Battlefield 3. Thanks you and goodnight.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

My first time through that tutorial area (which ends with that boss) I completely missed the sword that dropped right before the "white light" transition. I was still using the Straight Sword Hilt broken sword you get at the start, which seems to do negative damage. More than 1 regular undead at a time was almost impossible, and killing even one took minutes. Then I restared, feeling like I HAD to have missed something, somewhere. And yep...sword at the end of that hallway with the first archer. After that, things got MUCH easier.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

I think I did get that sword, I must have. Honestly I dont really remember. I dont remember having much difficulty with multiple enemies. I was reading the reviews and there were capitalized warnings about how much of a nightmare it can be at times and how the game results in broken controllers. That should have been a sign but noooo, I just had to get it anyways. I couldnt live with myself if I had 100,000+ souls and lost them all as one of my friends was saying as it happened to him. It also said the game has ALOT of backtracking and you can lose hours upon hours of gameplay if you die. Screw a whole lot of that. Dont buy this game.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yeah, when I bought the game the girl behind the counter asked me if I'd played the game before, and warned me that I probably shouldn't buy it if I get frustrated easily.

Strangely, it hasn't really gotten to me that bad...I think because I bought it KNOWING it was that kind of game.

SBC 240Z

For the sake of the game I probably shouldn't even give it a try. I gave Devil May Cry 3 or 4 or whatever a try and there was one particular ledge that the game was dead set on keeping me from jumping on. I proceeded to calmly remove the disc and break it in half. Money well spent.

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Picked this up last week and have loved how direct and connected the combat feels.

Brutal and unapologetic with minimal instruction and no handholding this is what Skyrim wants to be when it grows up.
alms24sebring wrote:... took it back for a store credit along with Batman (another stupidass game)...
Gaming credentials...lost.

Return to “Gaming”