Daily KA24DET

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
drifter
Car: Drifting, cars, etc.

What turbo would be good for a daily driver like me to put on my KA24DE? I was thinking either the T3/T4 or T25....maybe Garrett...any suggestions?

Daunttless

A T25 is way to small, the T3/T4 would be your best option for a daily driven KA24DE-T

Daunttless

Also, an easy way to see what would be necessary for a custom daily driven project, would be to look at a stage 1 kit from NSport. It will have all the basic components you'll need for your project listed. Good Luck!

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

Just run a small T4, IMHO it's a better turbo for the KA than a T3 turbine housing. Not to mention you can get a better turbo for less with a T4 (they seem to charge more for the T3/T4 for some reason)

My opinion is leave the T3/T4 too the Honda boys.... Bigger turbo's spin slower (so they last longer) they spool about as quick (withina few hundred RPM's) and they will have lower EGT's due to higher exhaust flow.

Paul

drifter

Thanks for your help guys...! Is the Nsport Kit the cheapest kit out there to buy? I mean, it looks pretty good for the $4000 they're selling it for, but i might need something about a grand cheaper....any other ideas?

I appreciate you guys helpin me out!

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

First I would suggest prepping your KA for the turbo if you are going to want it to live with a heavy foot. Replace the seals and head gasket with a thicker one to knock down compression a bit. I would suggest a good set of piston rings as well. Definately go full T4 ... a T04B or the larger T04E would be good for the KA. A larger turbo also will help you when something breaks and you have to crawl home in the car, you have a bit more rpms to play with before you begin to boost.

drifter

Some guy online is selling me his turbo (it's a T25) for $80...should I just get that one or opt for a T4? (cause the T4 sounds a lot better cause it's bigger and probably better for the long run) Would I need a custom manifold for the T25?

Thanks

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

You could also... go to a junk yard and search around for factory turbos. It is a long shot but i've seen people pull out factory turbos that are perfectly good, and then fabricate a mounting, ad 50hp to their ride for under $500... like i said tho... long shot:squint

trpower7

I would definetly go with some of the experienced members in here and say if you have $3000 you could spend on a turbo kit, spend that building your engine up. Shave the head, metal head gasket, lower compression pistons (forged) rings, forged rods, balance and shotpeen your crank, get a great clutch and flywheel combo, maybe even some head work while you are at it, you can reasonably get all this done for under 3 grand. Then you can save up for awhile more and put the NSPORT kit on your built KA and be good for 10-15 PSI and 400 plus HP.

Daunttless

I would disagree with some of the people here, but oh well. : )

You have a 98, so lets assume 30-40k miles on it. Thats still more than sufficiently low for a turbo kit straight out. I wouldn't lower the compression of the KA, you'll lose driveability. At 30-40k miles you aren't going to need the rebuild, so you can just go with the base level kit, you may wish to get the clutch and flywheel, but yours will probably be sufficient for now. If you only want the 240 or so horsepower it gives, you'll be fine for daily driving everything. : ) However, when you want more it will be more work in the long run, but if you leave the turbo kit on for even another 40k miles, you'll probably be wanting to do something way more aggressive by then anyways. : ) Good Luck!

trpower7

Good point, I didn't look at his current mileage, but I'm still all for building everything for the long-term. Nothing more annoying than having to do the same job twice, and pay for it. You will lose driveability with lower compression pistons before you go turbo, but if you do go turbo they will allow you a little more leeway in turning up the boost. And remember, the boost bug is going to bit hard once you hear it spool up just once ;). 7 PSI, maybe 9, maybe 12, and so on until you are in big trouble. Or just go get an engine that is already turbo (CA18, SR20) for about $2300 and use the extra $700 for a good upgrade (turbo upgrade?)

Daunttless

You still lose off boost driveability. : ) And he wants a daily driver, I don't think he's looking for huge power. I guess I could be wrong though, we'll just have to wait and see what he says.

trpower7

Yes, you would loose off boost driveability, but if I went to that trouble, how often would I be off boost............:ylsuper

drifter

Yeah, Dauntless has it right...I'm not looking for so much boost it comes out of my butt...240 HP sounds more than enough for what I need...I am a daily driver and want to keep my engine for awhile. So I guess with built-up internals I can crank out 240HP? (cause that would be awesome....!) :D

drifter

Oh yeah, and two more things....

1) No one said anything about the T25 I can get from a guy online for $130 shipped...is it a good deal for my 98 ?

2) My ride has about 51,000 miles on it.

So yeah, Dauntless was right again, about 40-50K miles on my KA.

trpower7

Not sure how a T25 would fit, I haven't ever had experience with one, Daunt probably knows

Daunttless

If you're talking the about either the T25 off a DSM or the T25 off the SR20, its woefully lacking. I wouldn't even bother with it, much too small. It was debated elsewhere, I said T3/T4 because its pretty standard, but Paul also pointed out the option of a full T4. The KA24 is a 2.4 litre, the T25 is lacking on the 2.0 litre, its worth the money to do it right that is assuming you could even FIND a manifold for a T25 for the KA24DE. I wouldn't just BUY a turbo outright, because then you have to put together your own package, which will be much more difficult. I'd suggest going with something like the Stage 1 NSport kit, that will be more than enough, and its pretty much bolt-on. ( obviously not as easy as an intake or something, but not too terribly difficult. : ) It will cost more, as you can put together a nice custom turbo package for like 2,000 dollars ( a little less or a little more dependant upon parts ) but at the same time you have to do everything yourself, whereas for the 4,000 from Nsport you know its done right the first time, and theres no work on your behalf. : )

I'd say just get the stage 1 bolt on, if you keep it for another 51,000 miles you'll have more than gotten your moneys worth. : )

trpower7

Huzzah for the NSPORT Kit!!! It really is a quality piece of hardware, not to mention the FMIC. And http://www.240sx.org has that group buy on it........

AkaiRPS13
Car: Kyoumi wa kuruma ya bujitsu ya nihongo desu.

:squint 4 grand plus install at a muffler shop.:fruit

for that kind of cash you can almost get an RB. no way am I paying that much for what I can do/have done for half that. the prices on those turbo kits are ridiculous. If you go around and find the same parts for retail, use their kit as a shopping list, you would probobly save money. I sure as hell don't have 4000 dollars lying around.

AkaiRPS13

Also about t25s. I dont think Dauntless understands some of our perdicament. We are broke. or close to it. but we love our 240s and want them to be the kind of car that never gives us a chance to wonder "could i afford a faster (other) car?". the hardest, most expencive part of turboing an na car is getting your foot in the door. so if i can find a way to throw together a 1000 dollar kit with a used t25, a custom manifold, some refabbed sr20 intercooler parts and a few other used parts it starts to seem pretty tempting. and then later upgrade to a t4 and get the big FMIC we all want one piece at a time. then while we save for the t4 (over the next 10 months) we can enjoy 200 hp. so maybe the t25 isnt enugh for YOU. but we may have to be satisfyed with it.

trpower7

I still say there is a certain peace of mind that you get when buying a complete kit like that, I have jury-rigged quite a few things in the past and while alot of them worked, they just don't give you the ability to sleep that the one you KNOW works will give you. Also it gives you a real commonality between alot of other people if you have problems with it, you can look to NSPORT for help, and you have the parts that are recognized as the best for the job. While I can make stuff for a third of the cost, with something this critical and important to have done correctly, a kit just seems to offer the best all around package.

PS: Not to mention the parts are NEW NEW NEW NEW NEW. That means 0 MILES!!!!!!!!!! We all know how much that is worth..........

Daunttless

No, see, I do understand, and the T25 isn't big enough for ANYONE. : ) Generally, people use old z32 turbos for their custom KA kits, you can get it cheaper than the T25, AND you don't need a custom manifold. I was merely stating that if you don't know how to put a turbo kit together, it might be worth the extra money to have someone else do it for you. Also, those intercooler kits are worth the money, when you figure you're getting a brand new t04b, manifold, and big front mount intercooler, thats a good 2000 dollars right there, add everything else and the time it takes to get everything together and everything fitted and you have another 2000 dollars. I really don't think they're a bad deal. : )

If you want a custom kit, sure, go for the shopping list and what not, take the time to do it yourself. : ) However, if you put a T25 on their, its going to be WAY to small. 2 T25s on a 3.0 litre were way to small, 1 on a 2.4 is DEFINITELY going to be too small. : ) Just head out and buy a z32 turbo, you can get it cheaper than the T25, and there are manifolds already in existence for it. : ) Good luck!

AkaiRPS13

Wait the old Z32s came with something other than t25s? cool! now I dont know too much abot how twin turbos work but youd think that if 1 t25 flows max 200 hp worth of air then 2 would make 400 hp being spun by 1.5 liters of exhaust each. 400 sounds cool to me. I would sell my kid sister for that kinda power. If my logic is off please dont:slap me just enlighten me. oh powerful moderator!:bowdown bestow upon us your knoledge.

wait I confused. t25s DID come on z32s? then maybe you mean the single turbo Z31s? :help

Daunttless

Blah, yeah, z31, mistype. The early to mid 80s 300ZXs. Your logic may or may not be accurate, dependant upon its application. Thats one of the major problems, very little generalization is possible. : ) Suffice to say if you have a split bank engine or a horozontally opposed, that kind of logic will work, but it won't work on an inline engine. : (

My bad, I knew what I meant. : )

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

AkaiRPS13 wrote:Also about t25s. I dont think Dauntless understands some of our perdicament. We are broke. or close to it. but we love our 240s and want them to be the kind of car that never gives us a chance to wonder "could i afford a faster (other) car?". the hardest, most expencive part of turboing an na car is getting your foot in the door. so if i can find a way to throw together a 1000 dollar kit with a used t25, a custom manifold, some refabbed sr20 intercooler parts and a few other used parts it starts to seem pretty tempting. and then later upgrade to a t4 and get the big FMIC we all want one piece at a time. then while we save for the t4 (over the next 10 months) we can enjoy 200 hp. so maybe the t25 isnt enugh for YOU. but we may have to be satisfyed with it.
I thought the same thing when I was in college last year. But I was wrong...dead wrong. It's just not worth it. There's one thing I wish I would have learned earlier in life and that is PATIENCE. It sucks...believe me, I think we all know, but it's the wisest decision in the end. Why blow $1000 now when you can save it (or put it in the stock market or bonds) and buy some QUALITY stuff later. And, most importantly, DO IT RIGHT!!! You'll be glad you did. For now, get a job, hell get a second job if you have to. Don't ever sacrifice quality!

mainman
Car: Cars, Basketball

I've since upgraded, my SR20DET parts on my car and I have a good friend here who wants to do a KA-T.

I've got 370cc injectors, and a HKS GT2530 turbo which I'm not using...

I've also got a stage 2 clutch, Blitz turbo timer, and a apexi AFC..

What else does he need to turbo his 1995 S14 besides the following?

1) FMIC2) BOV3) turbo mainfold, exhaust4) downpipe5) boost controller / meters

Where can I get them at a reasonable price so that he gets a decent fast car?

The KA has a good torque, probably better than the SR20, but I don't like the feeling of the top end power. I hope to turbo his car and then write up a comparison between SR20DET and KA24DE-T...

Robin

ka24de_510

if you're looking to go the budget turbo route, (which most people seem to despise for some reason) a better bet than a t25 would be a t03b with a .52 or .6 A/R off of an older chrysler/dodge. there are guys around with crap like a 10-second dodge shadow/capri with a 351 running twin junkyard turbos. granted, it's ugly, and a turbo 2.4L I4 will not get you close to 10s, but it is an option. there is also the fact that these 351's cost about $200 in good shape so no harm if you blow one up.

there was a guy on the old message board who had a setup he put together for around $1000 and it seemed to work well. I don't know if he still posts or what happened to him, but I'm sure he could be of some assistance.

personally, I feel that at $4000 for that kit you are being taken. if you can get 240hp from a $600-$1000 turbo setup, you're pushing the reliability of the stock engine anyway. why pay $4000 for a system that's so much better when you can't take advantage of it without dropping another 2k on internals? sure, it won't be pretty, but it doesn't have to look terrible either.

last, just because you CAN go find a manifold and a turbo that will bolt up doesn't mean you should. do a little (a lot of) research and find out what will work and what won't, and what you want.

and T25's are worthless. utterly worthless. and yet, even as I write this some poor schmoe is paying $250+ for one w/ 18k miles on it on ebay. anyone who is trying to sell you a t25 is dumping his stock junk off on you because he upgraded. you could get the same thing by looking around at a junkyard for $30.

ADAMHU

get a t3 from an old mustang or thunderbird....a t25 is way too small for our 2.4l motor...it will just be pumping out heat

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

What's the advantage of buying a scrapped or custom built turbo over a kit?

AkaiRPS13

price

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”