D21 turns over but won’t crank

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Grampadawg
Car: 1986 D21 pickup

I have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor and tested coil. I have compression, spark and fuel thru injectors. But just cranks with no firing.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Spark and fuel but not firing. That's odd. Hope you got it figured out. Timing being way off could account for this.

knettle3
Car: 2000 Nissan Frontier

What were the circumstances of the no-start condition? Did it just die while you were driving it, or did you get in the truck one day and it decided not to start? Did you complete a repair prior to the no-start condition? If it died while running, did it make any horrible noises that could help to focus on the possibilities? Does it sound normal while turning over? First, scan for codes and let us know what they were. Then try a couple of squirts of starting fluid thru the valve body and see if it will hiccup and try to start (rules out bad gas). If still not trying to start, I would make sure your new distributor is timed perfectly and that the rotor isn't off by a few teeth. On these older trucks, the ignition switch can have poor contacts and fail to supply power to the injectors or ignition system when you let go of the key back to the "on" position. Also consider the cam/crank position sensors.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”