Cylinder head combustion chamber volume?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Someone please help! I need to know the cylinder head combustion chamber volume (in cc's) for my 1990 KA24E SOHCin order to place an order for new 10.5:1 JE forged pistons. My local Nissan dealership didnt even have this information. I ordered the FSM today, but i leafed through the FSM for an 89 at the dealership and it wasnt listed.

I have found a website with all sorts of formulas to find out stuff like swept volume, displacement, ect. It is: http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/T...amber

By this formula my stock 8.6:1 CR engine has a swept volume of 595.96, which would (theoritcally) give me a combustion chamber volume of 78.4 cc's. I gave this to the tech who was ordering them for me and he said it had to be wrong, it sounded waaay to big.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

drjohn

First of all in the dealers defense there is no need for that info on a daily basis. Put if you have the head off or can get head that is off and has the valves still in it turn the head upside down and get a medicine bottle marked off in cc's, cough med. etc. Then level the cyl. head and put say 20cc's in the chamber at a time till it is level with the head surface. make sure the valves are closed and the spark plug is in. This will give you are reading.

drjohn

Got to work this morning and the tech next to me had the head off his 90 240. I checked it out and the comb. chambers turn out to be very close to 60 cc's

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

HAHAHA SWEET THANKS!!!!

I yanked the engine Friday and 2 friends came over friday night and we pull the sucka apart. I got the head striped (just valves and springs remain) and i was set to check the cc's tomorrow and call them back with the info Monday. I'll go ahead and check anyway, but that was sooooo awesome of you to look at that while at work for me!!

drjohn

You are quit welcome just glad to be of help.

QuinGarcia

To get the exact readings, not just an estimate you could order a cylinder head cc'ing kit from summit racing equipment (800-230-3030)

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”