Cyclic bearing noise

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
sparky66
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV

I tried to replace the right front driveshaft. During the removal attempt, it separated, so the shaft from the bearing carrier to the wheel hub was out. I bought the slide hammer attachment, heat, pry bar, etc., but couldn't get it to budge. Finally, for the first time in my 54 years, I gave up and took it to a local shop. What I did, though, was drive it. I know the RWD isn't heavy duty, but it was only about 3 miles. 1/2 from the shop, I heard a loud hissing noise from the rear end and a bunch of smelly(clutch/hydraulic fluid) smoke is released. Appears the magnetic clutch thing got hot and blew a seal. That isn't the current problem, though. Had it towed to the shop, it took 2 guys, a 6' pry bar, and a lot of heat, but they got the driveshaft replaced. They took it for a drive and said there is a weird noise coming from the transmission area and I should take it to a transmission shop. We drove it home last night, and the sound is just like when a wheel bearing or differential starts to howl, but with one difference. It is periodic, and the frequency increases with road speed. At around 50MPH, it comes and goes about twice a second. Shop said driving it without the one shaft in probably damaged the differential. I am wondering if the bearing in the new Duralast shaft is bad, but I can't figure out what component would have it come and go with that frequency. Any ideas?

sparky66
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV

I did some additional testing. I tried to record the noise, but it didn't pick up on cell phone audio recorder. The noise increases in frequency and volume up to about 48MPH. It almost disappears at 51MPH. We haven't taken it on highway yet, so not sure what it does above that. At 50MPH, it repeats every 0.77 seconds. That is about every 8 wheel revolutions. Does anyone know what component turns at about 1/8 of the wheel speed?

Return to “Rogue Forum”