CX Racing ebay Turbo Kit - What can you tell me about it?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
Kwon88
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE & 2008 Saturn Astra XR

Found a turbo kit on ebay and pretty skeptical for the price.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...99479They claim to make 250 whp without any tune and stock injectors. Think it sounds like

scheffler
Car: 92 240 KA-T
92 300zx TT
97 Tahoe

sound like crap to me. If you look at the pics it has upgraded fule rail and injectors, a z32 maf, some sort of tune to manage the injectors at least. probably some other stuff didn't look that close.

Also all the stuff looks like cheap china crap anyway. but for 700 bucks you could add some decent parts and with a few mods to the turbo kit, and some luck you might end up ok.

You still most likely would be better off piecing one together on your own.

bees

i was looking into that set up as well. looking up their company website, i found out that they were based in socal (626 area). so has anyone tried their set up? with not modification to their air/fuel system?

z.hunter1
Car: '92 240SX

They talked about this kit in the China/No Name turbo kits post a little but no one came up with any first hand experience. For the price, even if it had to be stripped apart and some slight fab. work done, it seems worth it. Dont really trust the whole no tune and stock injectors issue though.

GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

the manifold/dp MIGHT work, but you still need alot of things, fuel, tuning, other supporting mods.

it's a cheap setup so it's likely to break.

just save up for what's tried and true, which is NOT the most expensive stuff.

DO NOT USE THIS WITHOUT INJECTORS+ TUNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

90sohclovin
Car: 90 240sx

im about to try the cxracing turbo kit . and just get jimwolf to tune my ecu and upgrade my injectors . im not worry about the turbo kit . i think it nice . i seen some one at a meet with the kit on his ka24e he said it ran fine and his car was untuned . everyone is saying its crap cause it ebay and made in china but ok the only thing im worryed about is the manifold cracking besides that if u just want to run like 9psi all the other stuff ebay is fine. anyways my boy got a ebay kit on his honda with stock B18 LS and he running 9psi onlything his maifold cracked besides that the motor and even the turbo run very good im tring the cxracing ka24e turbo kit ill let yall know how it turns out

airman86

Ebay mechanical parts (i.e. turbos) are a very risky investment. They have been known to run for years with no problems, while others blow up within weeks. This is due to how loose their tolerances are...some bore sizes can be right on the mark while others can be way off.

Keep in mind that the shaft/turbines can rotate at over 100,000 RPM - that's nearly 2,000 times PER SECOND. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want some poorly made chinese part with that much rotational energy and a high fail risk on my engine...worrying about a compressor wheel shattering and sending all kinds of nasty metal bits into my engine.

Exhausts are probably okay (i.e. downpipe and back) - but the exhaust manifolds - maybe...as they usually have weak welds and thin metal construction that can crack under pressure. If you want to brace them and reweld them, it may be worth it. I have seen quite a few threads entitled "hey look what happened to my SSA/CXR manifold, it exploded!" with some grusome pictures inside.

I would be weary, like I said many have had success, but fortune has also passed over many as well.

It's not unlikely to make 250hp on something as little as 8lbs, which is my ballpark of what it's going to be set at (link is now bad). I would be a little afraid to go that far on stock injectors, but that may be right up to the stockers limit. In any scenario where my engine sees the slightest amount of boost, I want to make sure there is enough fuel there so I would say if you DO go this route, get a set of 370cc or similar injectors, a walbro 255 and an SAFC or at LEAST an adjustable FMU (fuel management unit) and slightly retarded timing or similar. Better safe than sorry - the stock pistons are the weak link on these motors and running too lean or stock (non retarded) timing can be bad news if detonation occurs.
Modified by airman86 at 9:07 AM 1/10/2010

liteemup39496
Car: '89 s13 Coupe ka24et - 400whp w/ac eta 2014
'91 s13 Hatch vh45de - the track bunny
'95 a32 Maxima vq30de - Daily pretty and quick

I actually just installed the KA-e version of this kit over the weekend and currently my setup is

walbro 25510:1 fmu boosting at 7lbsand retarded the timing approx 2-3 deg

i believe im getting spark blowout cause its sputter at WOT, i plan to re-gap my plugs to .032 and i have a set of bkr6e's on the way.

going to pick up some dsm blue tops and resistor box and safc2 this weekendpossibly Innovate LC-1 next paycheck. hits full boost by 3700rpm

also have planned chipped ecu and n60 maf very soon also

neverlift

/\you are probably super rich with a 10:1

liteemup39496

actually turns out the wastegate bolts given with the kit were a joke, too a lil tight squeezing with fingers but replaced them with some grade 8 bolts and lockwashers and a drop of loctite red.

pulls really hard now. im not used to it so make me nervous i wont let it hit full boost lol.

next 2 things picking up within the week is LC-1 kit, dsm 450's, safc2, and chipping ecu with basemap. mainly to do away with the need for the FMU

tho i still agree that i maybe very rich , but all in all thats better the too lean

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

THIS is exactly what I want to hear. First hand experience with the parts. I hate the naysayers and people who have 'heard' bad stuff about the eBay stuff.

If you have been around long enough, you know that I have always went against the grain. Always doing what 'shouldnt' be done. But I would also like to consider myself one of the pioneers for the 'cheap' stuff and getting feedback on it.I've also learned the hard way. Having to replace failed items with name brand stuff.

And I'm sure some of the parts have come a long way by now. Just a thought and opinion though.

You guys, keep us updated on how things go with this kit. Also post pictures, and include the 'little' things that you have to add to the kit to make it work. Nuts, bolts, etc.

If you own a 240sx, and boost the KA... You're probably a poor bastage that can't afford the SR, RB, etc swaps... I say give the stuff a try. Preferably on a stock motor that you wont tear up...

~E

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I just don't have any faith in the EBay turbo's. Not when you can buy used Holsets and others for very cheap. A high mileage "brand name" turbo is a far better purchase then a EBay unbalanced POS. Those things are simply waiting to fail.

Hard items like intercoolers and exhaust are good to go.

Turbos can see 30,000 rpm, you don't want something like that unbalanced. That's just hard fact. Some factory Nissan turbo's are still functional and not smoking after 250,000 miles. You won't find a single EBay turbo claiming that crap. In fact, it's almost always within 1 year. There are a small number of people still kicking a EBay turbo for over a year. The % of failed within the first year is close to 90% That is just not something I'll gamble on, not when there are affordable alternatives.

Chris made 300whp with a used T28 from a GTiR...just as an example.

WD

Gabes13
Car: rb20det s13

I just don't understand how they claim +220whp on stock injectors and no tune.

They have dyno videos on youtube.You can hear the detonation in all the pulls.

liteemup39496

well so far the only modifications needed other then the neccessary oil return bung. all that was needed was a small notch in the bumper supports where the factory horn bolts to. and the needed holes in fender wells for IC piping.

however it seems alot of the gaskets are s***. S went to local parts store and ordered turbo gasket kit for 88 mustang SVO and some copper exhaust gasket RTV, once this snow and cold weather subsides here in the northeast i will take all the exhuast parts apart and redo it with new gaskets. also alot of the exhaust bolts will be getting replaced or adding lock washers and loctite to keep things sealed nicely.

also i agree WD i am very hesitant on the ebay turbos them selves but locally i have 4 friends running them on their cars, 2 B series honda motors, B13 SR motor and another running it on an E36 bmw, so that kind of brought my confidence up on them. however i do plan to move to an h1c most likely mid summer.

also added note, i did not use the oil feed line and some of the fittings included with the kit instead i only used the T that it comes with and used the 1/8th bspt to 1/8th npt "brass" adapters ordered from mcmasters, the line is long enough but i bought a 4ft line to run behind head and hide it somewhat.

as far as fueling currently i have timing turned back about 3* i run 93 sunoco only and run a 10:1 fmu/ walbro. however i plan very soon to socket a U12 ecu and run a chip with some DSM 450's fine tuned with an safc2 and LC-1

but currently car is parked as the exedy stg 1 clutch is slipping severely on boost from 3rd thru 5th gear. so i havent had an opportunity to even run it WOT yet. which i guess is for the best cause it allows me time to get some supporting and safeguarding mods done to it.

clutch ive chosen is the ACT HD 6puck sprung, rated for 342tq which i think is enough cause im not looking to go over 300hp with this car.

kit layed out on the floor

installed

hope this helps, i'll keep everyone posted once i get the clutch installed and can give it a WOT run possibly a video also this wont be a for a few weeks

WDRacing

Got any better pics of the manifold? I'd like to see the collector in and out and the main head flange. It looks different then the last one I had.

For the record, I have owned both bottom and top mount Chinese manifolds in the past. I installed both manifolds and found the top mount to be of very poor construction and it placed my turbo ALL over my brake lines The bottom mount was better, but the obvious problem with that is the T2 flange.

Everyone knows I don't like the T2

liteemup39496

i'll get you some pics but its gonna be a week or so cause its forking cold up here in north NJ.

WDRacing

Its official, you're a puss

eazye2000

WDRacing wrote:Everyone knows I don't like the T2
FU

It's cool though. I'm actually putting the modified manifold, wastegate, and dump tube up for sale. Along with my injectors I think. Along with the 3076R. Going to BIGGER and badder things me hopes.

On topic:That kit looks pretty decent. Did it have all the parts you needed, and were some just crap quality? Or did it not include some of the necessary things?

WDRacing

The kit itself is probably the best bang/buck kit for our cars on the market. Just a matter of swapping out the turbo, wastegate and BOV with reliable units...which can be done for under $500 if you choose used items like the Holset or something.

That's a pretty big win for KAT guys IMHO.

There are also safety devices like overboost kill and knock detection that can make things as "safe" as they can be.

Like I said, that manifold is definitely different from the old POS Chinese unit I had back in the day. It was so poor I didn't even use it. This one probably needs some porting and cleaning up in the collector, but I'm sure it's something any one of us could do.

STILL WAITING ON THOSE PICS MICHAEL!!! Quit acting like you guys are having bad weather up there.

WD

Ferts's240
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx & 2006 Volkwagen Jetta TDI

guys/girls (maybe), i've got a single slammer with 195k (kilometers). I've done ALOT of research on this bolt on turbo kit from CX Racing or ebay, whichever, and can't decide weather or not i should go ahead and install her on this stock 21 year old engine. She's been lady driven till yesterday tho.. hehe. So anywyas, the engine runs super, just want that 7psi boost with a bov( that sound!) and reliability. I got a tight budget.

Forgot to mention i've already got the CX turbo kit, came with the car :P

Any suggestions.?

WDRacing

Suggestions from me are:

If you're using the wastegate that came with the kit, get some high temp loc tight on the bolts that hold the "cap" portion onto the lower section. They are known to back off or strip. I'd look into replacing the bolts even. Personally wouldn't even use it, to risky in my opinion and seeing as it controls how much boost you run, it basically decides if your motor is going to pop.

You can run an over boost kill switch, there's a how-to for that in the FAQ, called Cory's Over boost Kill or something like that. It shuts down the motor if the boost spikes.

The turbo will eventually go bad, so be prepped for that. It can be swapped with a reliable used unit for cheap though.

Make sure your compression is decent across all the cylinders. If it's good, boost away.

liteemup39496

lol dude we got like 2ft of snow, and i dont have a a garage so car is buried right now.

easye2000: yes kit had everything only changes i made was going with mcmaster oil t-fitting parts cause i had bought them prior to buying the kit. the brass parts are 11 bux shipped. only other things you need to modify is fenderwells for IC piping which i s a given and slightly notched the supports that the horn is mounted to to fit the FMIC. other then that its a bolt on affair.

however i am going to pull the turbo and dp assy off and reattach them with better bolts with lockwashers and few drops of loctite cause i almost lost my wastegate and wastegate dumptube. the dp bolts backed off and one of the stock turbo bolts is missing. so car is pretty much parked until this weather subsides so i can pull everything apart and replace stuff.

i will post pics just as soon as this cold white fluffy stuff goes away

liteemup39496

well here is a link to my photobucket with some pics of turbo and mani installed. i'll take more once i get the replacement radiator installed and i can move the car to a garage so i can get some work done.

http://s130.photobucket.com/al...build/

managed to get some dsm 450's and resistor box for free. so far all thats left to get is ecu socketed and burnersafc2 for fine tuning lc-1 wideband

WDRacing

FAIL....

right click/properties/copy/paste on Nico/insert img tags.

liteemup39496

or instead of being lazy just view the whole album.

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

Prompts for a password.

eazye2000

zerepdivad wrote:Prompts for a password.
Yep, same for me. WDsuchspeen doesn't work for a password FYI..

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

eazye2000 wrote:
Fight! Fight! Fight!

liteemup39496

lol fixed, sorry for that

WDRacing

liteemup39496 wrote:or instead of being lazy just view the whole album.

eazye2000 wrote:

Chris28 wrote:
Fight! Fight! Fight!
My lawyer says that I have to wait at least another year before I murder anyone or the PTSD defense won't work out

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”