CVT whining near end of warranty

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
TomNJ
Car: 2008 Altima 2.5 SL

My 2008 Altima has 117,000 miles and has one month left in the 10 yr/120,000 mile CVT warranty. For the past couple of years It has been whining periodically, and with even slight acceleration the RPMs jump into the 3,000s , even on level or slightly inclined roads. Sort of like being stuck in a lower gear and failing to shift (yes I know it doesn't actually "shift"). It happens maybe once or twice a month now and seems to happen more when hot. The next day it runs fine.

I plan to sell the car in the next year or two max, but don't want to turn it over to the new owner with a bum CVT.

So my questions are:

- Is this normal or a sign of trouble brewing?
- If not normal, is it worth bringing it to a dealer? Would they actually repair it with so little warranty left, or just charge me $100 to check it out and say it is normal?
- Could this be caused by the old fluid? It has not been changed but the level is good and the color light brown.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Tom

macgiver

mac here ,I would suggest bringing immediately to a Dealer you trust and mention the noise as "fairly new" sounding , specifically order a proper "Full drain" and replacing BOTH filters(most have a fine and a course mesh screen as such) - stress nothing more , I / you hope they follow your strategy and respect that it's now proper time to do so , and your hope is this will put you back on track - correcting the noise and giving the CVT what it needed for proper "life expectancy" so to speak . Do it now -do it today as they say BEFORE warranty expiration!!! :yesnod You may just want to keep it a little longer or alternately it's resale value upped if the noise virtually does dissappear :rotfl Glen 2/17/2018

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”