CVT vs. Six Speed

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

Ok all you owners of both the manual and CVT, you all have gotten me confused and afraid of getting the CVT. I am all set in the next few days to make a purchase and was all set to spring for the CVT in the SL model. I didn't like the "hanging" rpm when clutching to change gears and the final drive was lower in the manual version. To me, on paper anyway, that would support the CVT higher mileage since the final drive is taller. However, I am seeing reports of a mere 25 mpg with the CVT. To me, that is unacceptable and not worth getting this so called economy car. For those one or the other, do you which you hadn't gotten a different tranny? Does anyone regret getting the CVT? Does anyone regret getting the 6 speed? I am need of a little direction here. This may have been brought up before, if so, I apologize. But, like I said, the purchase will be very soon and I don't want to get the wrong tranny. Any and all help would be appreciated.

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

I have the 6-speed & love it. Some times I wish I had an auto, but I love the ability to control the RPMs with gear selection. I have gone on one trip at over 70 mph with hardly a dent in mileage. Still 35+ mpg.

I got the S model because I didn't want or need the extra $2500+ in gizmos. Power windows is all I needed & I can upgrade the stereo a hell of a lot better than Nissan for the $ I saved.

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

The speed is a bit different with the "hanging RPM" characteristic. But it's not bad. Hell, I can hit 80mph in 4th gear when I'm pushing the Versa. That means I still have 2 gears worth of acceleration!!! However, that's probably why I get 29-30mpg too, hehe.

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

[QUOTE=Juelze]The speed is a bit different with the "hanging RPM" characteristic. But it's not bad. [\QUOTE]

ya my ULEV civic does that too, rpms hang before dropping when you press in the clutch. The solution is to take your time rowing through the gears instead of doing it as fast as smooth as possible. It will make your shifting smoother if you take your time and time the shifts but it will delay you of reaching your crusing speed espically when there are peppy automatics behind you ;(

but with the versa's 6spd, i'm hoping the shifts are as short as they are in my civic like from 3rd to 4th (500 rpm drop). Unlike 1st to 2nd gear, the drop is like 1500 rpms!

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

The close gearing of the 6 speed (500-700 rpm drop per gear) is actually quite nice. Sure, it takes off a bit slow in that really awkward 1st gear, but 3rd - 5th have amazing acceleration even when you're not mashing the gas.

And I'm not entirely sure what this "hanging RPM characteristic" that others are talking about is.. Either I am not experiencing it, or I am completely oblivious to it.

yerrago
Car: 92 Pathfinder 3" Lifts, 32" tires

As far as maintenance is concerned, what is needed for the manual, and what is needed for the CVT? Anyone? In terms of every how many thousand miles, what is done (e.g. timing belt change), and how much it costs.

BTW, is there a timing belt on the manual transmission model?

XterraVersa

The timing chain is in the engine. Regardless of the tranny, every Versa has the same engine, so engine maint is the same.

The CVT has an unkown maint record unlike the manual tranny.

electech
Car: '02 Explorer Limited, '03 Escape Limited, '07 Versa SL HB CVT, Convenience group, splash guards, flo

It seems that most folks responding have the six speed. I was all set to go with the CVT but I am now reconsidering. I drove the 6 speed first but in trying to listen and look at everything, I failed to notice the rpm the thing was turning on the road. I glanced down one time and saw 3000 in what I thought was 6th gear at around 70. Does that sound right? That seemed high but traffic got bad and I didn't get a chance to look again. My question is, at 70mph, which is the speed mine would be at 75 percent of the time, what rpm is the Versa turning in 6th gear?

jmagill

3000 RPM's is normal running on my six speed.

I am just getting used to a manual after 10 years in an automatic.I am loving this car though. Quick acceleration and steering.

Ever Victorious

at 75mph, the Versa will run about 3200 RPM in 6th gear.

Don't let this alarm you. Unlike cars built in the 80's and early 90's newer cars are designed for a cruise speed of nearly 3000 RPM. (Heck, even my Subaru cruises near 3k...)

The cruise speed that most states base their emissions tests on are kind of antiquated.

yerrago

I must have missed this but how is the manual tranny compared to CVT in terms of fuel consumption, in specs, and in real life?

I looked at the gear ratio and it seems that the manual tranny has a larger gear ratio (3.7) than the CVT (2.5) on low gear. So would it be right to take it that it will give me better acceleration?

But on high gear, CVT can use less gas because it has a gear ratio of .427 as compared to the manual tranny with .818.

I'd be interested in knowing the real life fuel consumption because I'd like to know how much I'm losing in fuel efficiency to get the needed acceleration with the manual tranny. Thanks.

If I go with the manual tranny, I may just as well go with the S model, upgrade my wheels elsewhere (<$500), put a nice seat cover (neoprene and waterproof-cost ?? maybe $400), upgrade the stereo with ipod-capability plus speakers ($700)

For 14,100 plus $1600, $15,700 I get the car I want (no CVT).

Plus, the fog light is standard on the S and not on the SL. Or are my eyes fooling me? It seems like on the SL, you get the fog lights only when you get the sports package.

ilusha55

Fog lights are not part of the S package they are optionnal and not yet available, correct me if i am wrong.

yerrago

Hmmm... my eyes aren't fooling me!

Go to nissanusa.com and configure an S model and you'll see. Fog lights are standard on the S Series!

Check this pdf I created.

yerrago

And here's an SL (no fog lights)

ilusha55

in canada no fog lights are inlcuded on none of packages, a little bit strange.

Juelze
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360 AWD

Ever Victorious wrote:The close gearing of the 6 speed (500-700 rpm drop per gear) is actually quite nice. Sure, it takes off a bit slow in that really awkward 1st gear, but 3rd - 5th have amazing acceleration even when you're not mashing the gas.

And I'm not entirely sure what this "hanging RPM characteristic" that others are talking about is.. Either I am not experiencing it, or I am completely oblivious to it.
You are oblivious to it. Let me explain. On my 96 Grand Am (4cyl. 5 spd) when you press in the clutch the tach needle drops and it drops very fast, as if you pulled a chair out from underneath someone. On the Versa, when you put the clutch in the tach needle drops but it seems to float down to idle rather then drop like other cars do. I hear this is due to the drive by wire throttle.

XterraVersa

yerrago wrote:Hmmm... my eyes aren't fooling me!

Go to nissanusa.com and configure an S model and you'll see. Fog lights are standard on the S Series!

Check this pdf I created.
Mine didn't come with fog lights. And that is the exact setup I have except the colors.

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

I look at it in simple terms. Th CVT costs more and gives only 2 mpg on paper plus it will costs you eventually for repairs/rebuild. Manual trannies usually are trouble-free except for clutches which shouldn't cost as much as the CVT rebuild. Also, the manual is much more fun. VERDICT: Go with the six speed!!

Ever Victorious

yerrago wrote:I must have missed this but how is the manual tranny compared to CVT in terms of fuel consumption, in specs, and in real life?
Not meaning to sound like a jerk here, but there are already 3 or 4 existing threads on this forum on this very topic. I don't think we need to start another one here.

Kegard
Car: 1.8SL CVT

I've got the CVT and couldn't be happier. I drive about 78 home with the RPM's at 2700. Seems to be lower than what people are getting with the 6 speed.

Not to mention that this has to be the smoothest car I've ever driven! No shift feel is a little wierd at first, but once you get used to it every other car with a standard auto seems jerky!

Very nice starting and passing power as well. Overall, this car is much smoother than the 98 Accord V6 auto I'm selling, and with the gearing (or lack of I guess) and the 122hp, it feels just as quick around town.

Kermee

Yup. Between 60 and 65, I'm around 2500 RPM's on my CVT.

Cheers,Kermee

rwanttaja

While I'm a bit disappointed in the mileage and the low-end acceleration, I really like the CVT. VERY smooth operation.

Ron

philmcneal
Car: Civic Coupe Se 04

Quote »The close gearing of the 6 speed (500-700 rpm drop per gear) is actually quite nice. Sure, it takes off a bit slow in that really awkward 1st gear, but 3rd - 5th have amazing acceleration even when you're not mashing the gas.

And I'm not entirely sure what this "hanging RPM characteristic" that others are talking about is.. Either I am not experiencing it, or I am completely oblivious to it.[/quote]Quote »I heard because of the drive by throttle [/quote]my car doesn't have drive by throttle and it does this. It does this because of emissions, making sure all the fuel is burnt before spewing more into the engine.

i remember driving a friend's 1991 240 sx, right when you press the clutch the revs dip super fast like yes a chair you wanted to sit on but someone pull the chair away from you super fast! used to shifting so slow on my car, by the time i hit the next gear and let off the clutch, the revs had to build UP to sync with the gear (instead of reving down usually when gearing up)

but for my civic say i rev to 3000 rpms in 1st gear, then i press in the clutch.... normally one would expect the needle to drop instantly and see those rev falls but for my car... it actually builds more rpm as you clutch in all the way (3100 rpms) then after a small moment the revs finally begin to drop! albiet very slowly by the time i'm done going from 1 to 2... i'm waiting the revs to STILL drop so that i can let off the clutch in 2nd immeidatley and everything should be synced!

the problem with this kind of shifting is that i take my time, and people with torque converters are kissing my *** really quickly so they are like not even an inch away from my bumper

at least i burn no clutch :D

as for the comment about the 6spd only dropping 700 from 500 revs... that is pretty sweet! i guess rowing gears with the versa should be a lot more fun than my civic!

Ever Victorious

I'm not convinced emissions is the reason for that either, because supposedly that is what the gas vapor feedback/recovery system is for... taking the unburned fuel out of the engine.

I don't know what's up with your Honda and increasing revs after you clutch.. my Versa doesn't do that, so it's not the same thing.

I know that a heavy flywheel will also cause the revs to drop slowly, but it should also cause the revs to raise slowly when gas is applied.

It's all greek to me. I push the gas pedal and the car done go fast.

ducatinova

I personally think it all depends on the type of person you are. Do you crave to shift gears on your own? When you drive automatics do you get frustrated that it is never in the gear you want it to be in? Or do you hate to shift, and get frustrated and tired of shifting gears in heavy traffic? I have never driven an automatic that I liked so if I was to by an "s" model I would have to buy the six speed. The CVT in the "SL" might be a choice if it is extremely resposive. I think most people buy one for the smoothness and extra gas mileage. Those things are not even on my mind really. Yes I want good gas mileage but not at the cost of driving pleasure.

BubbaGoose
Car: Red Alert SL CVT

I dunno.

I got reservations on the CVT's longevitybut we got it as the OL ( it's her's )was not gonna do 1.5 hours of rush hour commutin' every weekdaywith a clutch.

As far as RevsI tickled mine into a steady 90mph @ 3000rpmgranted this was on I-10 b/w Houston & San Antonio( Flat as a pancake )but it did it.Dunno what 100 isI was in traffic an was not lookin' at the tach.

( BTW, I got 29 mpg floggin' the livin'sh1t out of it that weekend )

CVT's take a some gettin' used to.I read thatbut did not put much stock in it.

I have a good friend in Londonhe's a former Foard Engineer.Does mechanic work to supplement his pension.He claims Nissan's CVT is the only one that really works & lasts.

After three weeks of CVT'n around in the Versagettin' the hang of how it behaves( note I mentioned "ticklin' it" earlier )I'm thinkin' seriously about a Murano to replace my Xterra.

electech

We ended up with the CVT and after a day of driving it around, I can say that was the right move for us. I like rowing the gears but I was after mileage. I was worried about the rpm going up and down on the CVT and things such as that. Not anymore!! On flat, level ground at 70 mph, the engine is turning around 2400 vs. 3000 or so in the six speed. With the cruise on and running speeds varying from 58 to 70, the speedo stuck within 1/2 to 1 mph up and down any hill we came to and if you were not looking at the tach, you wouldn't have known it was varying any!!! I am impressed, it is just as good at holding speed as my '02 Explorer. It beats the heck out of the Honda Civic and the Honda CRV we had. Those two traps, you couldn't catch going down the hill and run all over them going up the hill!!! They would vary 3 or 4 mph and the dealer called this "normal"!!!! I called bull, never will buy another Honda. So far, the Versa is impressive for the price.

Return to “Versa General Chat”