How much CVT fluid to use?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jadue123
Car: 2011 rogue

how much oil is needed for cvt transmission?
with filter and without filter

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

the CVT transmission requires approx:
7.5l (7.9qt) for FWD
8.6l (9.1qt) for AWD models.

- NS-2 fluid part no. 999MP-NS200P. Approx $15/qt.
- CVT drain pan plug gasket #11026-01M02

here are the instructions:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2008/MA.pdf

jadue123

thank you

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

The CVT fluid lasts a very long time, I'm curious why you are considering changing the fluid, what is your mileage? Typically you can get well over 100,000 miles out of this fluid, and considering how expensive it is that is a good thing!

I know it goes without saying but it's so important that I'll repeat it once again for anyone in the future considering tackling this project - You MUST use the Nissan NS-2 CVT fluid, there are NO aftermarket options and any other fluid will destroy your CVT tranny in short order. The CVT fluid is completely different than normal automatic transmission fluid. Any shop that tells you they can change the fluid for you is probably not aware of this unless they plan to drive over to Nissan and purchase the fluid from them. If you are having a shop perform this maintenance, this is one instance where I'd say take it to your Nissan service shop - they are also the only ones who can test your fluid and let you know if it even needs to be changed!

jadue123

it is 2011 rogue awd it has rebuilt title, and only 5000km.
i checked the fluid and was low so added 1 liter, i guess it was front ended.
it looks like they put new transmission cooler, i don't know if they added any fluid.
i just wanted to make sure if they added any fluid it was ns-2, anyway of checking?

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

i just wanted to make sure they added ns-2 fluid, anyway of checking?
unfortunately there is NO way of checking what fluid they used, unless you send the fluid out to be tested. my best advice would be to go to a nissan dealer, or any mechanic that can perform a FLUSH (not just a drain) on the transmission.

if you dont want to go that route, than you can just drain whats in there, and refill it with the right nissan CVT fluid and hope for the best.

kerrton wrote:If you are having a shop perform this maintenance, this is one instance where I'd say take it to your Nissan service shop
as much as i try to stay away from stealerships, i couldn't agree with you more. its gonna be on record that you had it changed at the right facility, under all the right conditions with the right fluid, and it cant be disputed that your mechanic used the wrong fluid, or did the job wrong. If a certified Nissan tech did the work, there is no arguments if you have a claim later down the road.

Furthermore, mechanics buy fluids, parts, and supplies at a certain price from the dealer, or distributor - and then add cost on top of that. So you might be able to actually get the work done cheaper at the supplier of this fluid, and thats a nissan dealer.

If a bottle of this fluid costs $10-$15 at the dealer, expect to pay $20-$25 at your private shop for this same fluid.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Genuine NS-2 Fluid available from PerformanceNissanParts.Com
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=3914
NISSAN Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Fluid. Use where NISSAN CVT NS-2 Fluids are required in NISSAN, INFINITI, and other make vehicles. Check your owner's manual for manufacturer's service recommendations.
SHIPS UPS GROUND ONLY. IF ANY OTHER METHOD IS CHOSEN, ORDER WILL BE CANCELLED.
Part #: 999MP-NS200P Type: NS-2 Price: $14.95

Bill Lewis
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

ImStricken wrote:
i just wanted to make sure they added ns-2 fluid, anyway of checking?
unfortunately there is NO way of checking what fluid they used, unless you send the fluid out to be tested. my best advice would be to go to a nissan dealer, or any mechanic that can perform a FLUSH (not just a drain) on the transmission.

if you dont want to go that route, than you can just drain whats in there, and refill it with the right nissan CVT fluid and hope for the best.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2008 with 52k on it. Have a hitch and have doen some light towing of a small landscape trailer with my motorcycle and some household items. Just to clarify. Having just moved to Cape May NJ the nearest Nissan dealer is 40 miles away. There is a shop her recommended by a few friends. They say they can get the fluid from the Nissan dealer and drain and refill the CVT but don't have the equipment to do a flush. Is this OK or not. I don't understand the advantage of flushing the CVT if your changing the fluid. a little old fluid left in there can't hurt that much can it??
Sorry for my ignorance but I just want to take care of my Rogue

Thanks in advance for your advice

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Bill Lewis wrote:I have a 2008 with 52k on it. Have a hitch and have doen some light towing of a small landscape trailer with my motorcycle and some household items. Just to clarify. Having just moved to Cape May NJ the nearest Nissan dealer is 40 miles away. There is a shop her recommended by a few friends. They say they can get the fluid from the Nissan dealer and drain and refill the CVT but don't have the equipment to do a flush. Is this OK or not. I don't understand the advantage of flushing the CVT if your changing the fluid. a little old fluid left in there can't hurt that much can it??
Sorry for my ignorance but I just want to take care of my Rogue

Thanks in advance for your advice

yes, your 100% FINE with just a drain, and refill.
the only reason i was suggesting the original poster to get a FLUSH - is because he was not sure what the transmission was filled with(possibly wrong fluid). i have a history with that user, he purchased a wrecked & salvaged rogue that he was rebuilding.

i too tow a motorcycle with mine, and will be doing a 60,000 drain on the tranny. but i have to ask you an important questions though = have you changed/drained your transfer case & differential yet? if not = DO IT! its very-very important to drain those as well. if you are handy i did 2 write-ups on how to do those two services right in your driveway, and its relatively simple. interested for the links?

Bill Lewis
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Thanks for the reply. I'm at 52K and at about 60K I will have the drain/fill, Transfer and diff. all done. Some say leave it all alone but I'm a preventive matenance guy.

I've also never had brakes done and at this mileage is that normal. Should I just have them done because of the mileage?

Ride safe

Bill in NJ

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Bill Lewis wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm at 52K and at about 60K I will have the drain/fill, Transfer and diff. all done. Some say leave it all alone but I'm a preventive matenance guy.

I've also never had brakes done and at this mileage is that normal. Should I just have them done because of the mileage?

Ride safe

Bill in NJ
ya, some say leave it alone - but im like you. prevention = less problems.

id change the tranny fluid at 60, and then never change it again. as the tranny gets older - the grit actually helps things grip. older parts are a bit worn, so installing fresh slippery fluids ends up causing them to slip.

and regarding the brakes; they really need to be judged by how you drive, not distance. i always, almost every weekend, spend time in NYC with the misses so i end up wearing mine down constantly and quickly. some folks, can drive 50k on original pads! unreal, but its been done. it also depends how fast you drive, because those who drive fast, have to brake harder. id have them checked, and maybe re-checked by a 2nd shop. most shops know if you dont know how to check on your own, you wouldnt know if your being lied too ;)
i did a good write-up if your tool-friendly.

Return to “Rogue Forum”