CVT Tranny

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
Krsmith99
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Automatic

We bought a used 2014 Nissan Altima 4 cyl. I believe it has about 46,000 miles on it. Any way my daughter whom is the primary driver says that occasionally when in drive she pushes on the accelerator and the car does not go or it goes slowly. Then all the sudden the tranny grabs and chirps the tires. I have driven the car several times and can not get it to repeat. I did google the problem and seen a lot of similar reports. We dropped it off at the Nissan dealer here in Reno today. My daughter says this problem has happened on at least four separated occasions. Anyone else have this problem what if Nissan can't get it to act up? I'm kind of concerned.

Jenifercal55
Car: 2015 Altima

Yes , my 2015 Altima is experiencing the same thing. Will not accelerate after a dead stop. Pedal goes to the floor with little to no acceleration then kicks in like normal. My car is at the dealership for the second time since last week. They said they will keep it until they can duplicate it since it is a safety concern. They gave me a loaner but i want to know what is causing this to happen.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

The problem could be related to several things, a solenoid, value body, etc, the dealership will need to conduct a diagnostic to determine the cause of the problem. The situation you described is usually resolved with new solenoid and reprogramming. If you start noises from the CVT that's an entirely different situation. :yesnod

coolio93
Car: 2015 Altima

I believe I know what you're talking about as it happens on my car too. I think it's normal and part of the CVT braking system under heavy braking.

I can 100% replicate it by doing the following. Drive up to around 25ish in a CLEAR area where you're safely away from passengers or other cars. Hit the brake hard as if you need to do an emergency stop and come to a complete stop. The next time you accelerate, the car will accelerate slowly for the first few seconds as the transmission goes from "braking mode" to normal operation mode. I think it's working as designed.

Hope this helped.

yzo024
Car: 2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV

This happens to mine as well, and as coolio93 said, it does happen right after coming to a "hard" stop. Unless the dealer told you different, I don't see any harm coming from this.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

CVT problem that was described is very common on the 2.5 Altima. Keep taking your car back to the dealership, to run the codes, and address all the CVT TSBs. At some point, you or the dealership can request a "new" transmission from Nissan--- even then, the problem may recur! :tisk:

j_medina13
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Is there any update as to what was wrong? Mine started doing it at 61K miles of course. Its a 2013 Altima SV also does it when i try to go from a complete stop. Seems to just sit there and not move until i press the gas down to the floor. The car then accelerates normally.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I strongly suspect the issue is one I have guessed at in other posts, the inability of a CVT chain to move over sprockets while the pulleys are barely or not turning. When the pulleys are not rolling then the chain cannot adjust massively to where needed as it needs the pulleys to roll to allow that to happen. It's a CVT thing and nothing one can do about that issue in and of itself, the pulleys MUST roll at least some to allow a big change in the chain drive ratio. Maybe the software is an issue there in some way.

The same issue is present in industrial uses of CVT drives, there they strongly tell you never to adjust the pulleys with the motor (driving them) stopped, it will result in skidding damage to the drive belt (chain) and pulleys.

A sudden quick stop as in an emergency would classify as that situation, the chain would be locked in the as running ratio as it did not have time to readjust and the trans would have to roll slowly at first until the biggest part of that is done. Doesn't take but a second or two but it's there, a normal stop provides enough time to quickly adjust.

j_medina13
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Check out my post. I had the same issue, ended up being a stop lamp relay, part # 25230-79917. 5 minutes later car functions as new. No more lag after stopping.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Give that some thought, that fail lends itself perfectly to what I say. The ECM uses the stoplight circuit to quickly determine the CVT needs to regear as a stop is occurring (on the rolldown), that signal missing lets the trans be way off in gearing at the absolute stopped time. In effect the trans is taking off in say 5th gear on a manual trans until it can rotate enough to readjust to the proper gear for that condition.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”