CVT teardown with common failure mode discussion

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I found this video in my youtube feed and sounds it very interesting and educational. Wanted to pass it along for information.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I saw this video too, then fast forward it. It really went over my head since I'm no mechanic, already saw a similar breakdown with the Pine Hollow fellow.

I did find the brother and wife's clothing used as garage rags kinda funny. :laugh:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yah, the wife's "something or other" was pretty hilarious! He's reasonably knowledgeable, but dead wrong about the causes and prevention of wear. Forgiveable, fluid film dynamics at the level of molecular shear is a rough hoe, more of a chemical "black art" than Newtonian push-pull. The fact is, contrary to what he says, the "compact car" units all demonstrably beat the fluid up faster than the big boys. While no one I know of has studied the causes publicly, the only obvious explanation is higher per-square shear loads and, as a consequence, higher per-square heat generation. All things being equal, without fluid changes, a Pathy toting 3000 lbs will probably still outlast an Altima with a leadfoot owner, mainly due to a high-capacity cooler and a gigantic belt. Incidentally, he's also wrong about the rebuildability (some are, some aren't).

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:37 pm
Yah, the wife's "something or other" was pretty hilarious! He's reasonably knowledgeable, but dead wrong about the causes and prevention of wear. Forgiveable, fluid film dynamics at the level of molecular shear is a rough hoe, more of a chemical "black art" than Newtonian push-pull. The fact is, contrary to what he says, the "compact car" units all demonstrably beat the fluid up faster than the big boys. While no one I know of has studied the causes publicly, the only obvious explanation is higher per-square shear loads and, as a consequence, higher per-square heat generation. All things being equal, without fluid changes, a Pathy toting 3000 lbs will probably still outlast an Altima with a leadfoot owner, mainly due to a high-capacity cooler and a gigantic belt. Incidentally, he's also wrong about the rebuildability (some are, some aren't).
Vstar650CL how often do you recommend changing the CVT fluid in the Rogues? Do the different generations make any difference in your interval?
Lastly, would you use AMSoil CVT fluid if your rogue's transmission was out of warranty?

Thanks

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Amsoil Cvt after using my NS-2 stash if it wasn't so hard to find. I prefer not being a member though but willing to pay top dollar.

Also heard Castrol Transmax ATF Black CVT Transmission Fluid was given good marks from nissan owners on amazon.

The reason is because nissan does not really make their own transmission fluid and aftermarket ones are more superior because their synthetic unlike Nissan's NS-2 fluid. :facepalm2
Last edited by casperfun on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Like I said, much depends on how you drive. The Rogue trannies are all "little boys" and pretty much the same internally from '08 to '13, and again from '14 to '20. The gen1 trannies are different and had some serious heat issues, there's an improved cooler kit available for them and I recommend it highly (whether you've had any trouble or not). My wife and I are lead-feet from hell and I'll be peeved if Lola (our '13 Altima SL) doesn't live to see 250K, so I change her every 20~25K. Drive like grandma and you can certainly get away with 40~45K, maybe longer if it's a lot of level highway. Hills make a big difference too, they create shear just like towing a trailer and reduce the cooling system efficiency to boot because the engine is working harder. If you live on a mountaintop, adjust accordingly.

Vis aftermarket fluids, we don't see many issues with reputable ones (and Amsoil is reputable). However, people in Nissan Engineering who should know tell me the aftermarket fluids are mostly cheaper for a reason, they all underperform NS2/NS3 in film strength (the resistance of the last molecule to being squeezed out and allowing metal to contact metal). That's your call, I'm told it's better but I have no direct proof. I've seen plenty of customers go a long way on aftermarket fluid.

PeterH_605
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

casperfun wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:15 pm
I'm seriously thinking about getting the Amsoil Cvt
I use the Amsoil one, main reason being price. I can't tell a difference drives like it always has.
If you go on the amsoil website and contact a rep they tend to hand out free 6 month preferred memberships, makes for a nice discount on a case of CVT fluid.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PeterH_605 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:47 pm
If you go on the amsoil website and contact a rep they tend to hand out free 6 month preferred memberships, makes for a nice discount on a case of CVT fluid.
Didn't know about that, good info!

Return to “Rogue Forum”