CVT Suspect

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
New_2_Nissan
Car: 2009 Altima Sedan

I recently got a sweet deal on a 2009 Altima Sedan. Previous owner said transmission was out. Immaculate inside n out. No scratches no dents. $700.00 drove it on trailer, drove it off trailer. It does have 226k on it. But $700!!! At first it seemed ok..until...Drove down the street got it up to about 60. Not too bad for a "junk car" as he stated. Then when i stopped at stop sign and went to take off.. boom ...it hesitated jerked shuddered and then back up to 60...next stop samething. It only does it after stoppin and then acceleration. After looking on here and reading a half a million posts on this CVT... thats where im leaning toward... Question is has anyone had same symptoms? And did you just rebuild tranny and that take car of it? Thanks for any help/suggestions...

barnaclebob
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE
2011 Altima SR

Seems pretty clear cut to me. I think most people put in a new CVT for several $k. You might be able to find one at a junk yard but make sure its from a later year, maybe 2011 or 2012, they didn't have the extended warranty so hopefully that means the issues were fixed for those years. My 2011 has 73k with no issues yet.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

New_2_Nissan wrote:I recently got a sweet deal on a 2009 Altima Sedan. Previous owner said transmission was out. Immaculate inside n out. No scratches no dents. $700.00 drove it on trailer, drove it off trailer. It does have 226k on it. But $700!!! At first it seemed ok..until...Drove down the street got it up to about 60. Not too bad for a "junk car" as he stated. Then when i stopped at stop sign and went to take off.. boom ...it hesitated jerked shuddered and then back up to 60...next stop samething. It only does it after stoppin and then acceleration. After looking on here and reading a half a million posts on this CVT... thats where im leaning toward... Question is has anyone had same symptoms? And did you just rebuild tranny and that take car of it? Thanks for any help/suggestions...
Whatever became of this matter?

New_2_Nissan
Car: 2009 Altima Sedan

It is indeed CVT. In process of rebuild... even though not recommended.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

What became of this situation? I've only heard of a small number of folks that had a CVT rebuilt. What did you actually end up doing?

Return to “Altima General Discussions”