CVT Service

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Primodlt
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima SL 2.5

I have a 2011 Altima 2.5 SL. Car has 189k miles. I bought the car about 3 years ago. I dont know when and if the CVT has ever been serviced. I do not have any issues with it now, but I do know that these CVT's are prone to not last. Will it be safe/recommended for me to do a CVT fluid and filter/screen change?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Someone must have changed it at some time to reach 189K, or it got a new tranny somewhere along the line. The short answer is, change it and don't worry. There are no concerns about "seal crud" with old fluid on a CVT like on a regular A/T. The CVT has almost no sacrificial material (clutches and bands), only the forward/reverse clutch, which functions only when you change directions and hardly wears at all. So there's a very limited number of places for "crud" to come from. Old fluid will accumulate varnish, but new fluid has high detergency and will dissolve and render it harmless. If it's been 3 years since a change, I'd recommend changing it again at a short interval (2~5K) to remove most of whatever is left.

Primodlt
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima SL 2.5

I have never changed the Fluid, since I bought the car 3 years ago. Now should I stick with Nissan CVT Fluid? Will it be safe to use aftermarket Synthetic CVT fluid?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The aftermarket stuff is generally safe, but my best information suggests it's generally cheaper for a reason. Folks who should know tell me the film strength of NS2/NS3 (the ability of the last molecule to avoid being pushed out of the way and allow metal to touch metal) is superior to virtually all the aftermarket alternatives. Judge for yourself depending on how much longer you plan to keep it alive.

Simon Ingram
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue IDEAL FWD

Primodlt wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:27 pm
I have never changed the Fluid, since I bought the car 3 years ago. Now should I stick with Nissan CVT Fluid? Will it be safe to use aftermarket Synthetic CVT fluid?
Information about cold air intakes for nissan titan is available on the website.
Nissan NS3 is a good CVT oil. Gears shift smoothly, nothing vibrates.
Nissan CVT NS3 fluid provides the following benefits: excellent protection against wear,extends the service life of the gearbox,significantly reduces friction,excludes the occurrence of vibrations,retains all its qualities for a long time,does not oxidize or change when exposed to high temperatures.
As can be judged from the reviews, except mine, of course. Nissan NS3 oil meets all the declared characteristics.
Complains mainly about the high price

Theironman117
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan QR25DE CVT

Hi Primodlt, I am new here so I hope this finds you well. I just wanted to give my $0.02 into this conversation as I too own a 4th gen Nissan Altima. I recently brought the car to my friend who is a great mechanic who has extensively worked on these CVT's. If you are worried about the transmission going out, some preventative maintenance you can do would be to install a transmission oil cooler provided by Nissan part number 21606-ZX59A. This will help alleviate the oil from running too hot causing premature failure on the precious transmission parts.

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”