CVT Rattle/Noise - Discussion Thread

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
BigPapi'sRogue

ok, just got back into the office after doing a test. A guy I work with also has a Rogue. Both of us have SL AWD's. He's got the premium stuff, I don't. He has said he's never heard the noise in his car.

First we went out in mine, and I can reproduce the noise pretty much at will now by lightly stepping on and off the gas at <5 mph speeds. We hear the noise right away. He then lets me drive his car, and I tried the same routine over and over again for 15 minutes, and his car never made the noise (needless to say, he was quite relieved).

So if there's any hope out there for SL AWD owners, it's that not all of the cars make the noise, and that for those of us who get our tranny's swapped, perhaps there's a good chance we won't hear it afterwards.

homergreg
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD Iridium

Just as a curiousity, has anyone with this problem tried seeing if the problem changes when 4wd lock is engaged? I would imagine this would change the behavior of the transmission along with keeping the rear end locked in.

Also, I test drove the Jeep Patriot when considering my purchase, and although it has the same tranny, it has different electronics, and the revs are alot higher, so high as to be annoying. Yet I know of nobody reporting rattles in that set up. The Rogue to me feels the complete opposite, the "gearing" is so low, that you need to hit paddle shifter down to get it out of the mud until you build up a little speed. Kinda like when driving a manual tranny at too high a gear and too low a speed. Does this rattle sound like when you throw a stickshift into 4th instead of 2nd? It makes me wonder if the fix will be some kind of firmware update to get the revs up on the AWD models at low speed. It just seems like there's too much power that needs to be applied to the pavement at low speeds with the AWD being automatically applied when taking off.

So far I've been lucky with no noise, but I'm still under 500 miles. Hopefully the fix for anyone with this problem will be a quick and easy one.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

kerrton wrote:...But don't worry guys and look at the positive side, that's why we bought a new vehicle, we've got 5 years of powertrain warranty so we can let Nissan worry about the problem! Once they come up with a recall solution all will be well!!
All well and good, except your Rogue may be sitting in the shop for 2 weeks while waiting for the parts :-(

Pescakl1
Car: 2008 Iridium Graphite SL FWD Rogue

mistergib wrote:Isn't it curious that Honda and Toyota are absent from the list...
My previous car was a 2006 Honda Civic coupe (first year) and my wife's car is a 2006 Honda Civic sedan. As you can see, we didn't like this car at all

There has been a recall on this car, about the rear mounted ABS system, on both types of cars, which could have lead to a rear blockage of the wheels (due to corrosion or another problem, I cannot remember). They have just waited 1 year and 1 half to fix the problem to make us forget that it was a design error .

Every new designed car could have a problem, whatever brand it is.I work in aeronautics, and I don't want to scare you, but even there, you have problems with new parts installed in proven design (not even new designs).

You cannot think about everything, test everything, in every ways the usual driver will use your design.

That is unfortunate, but I am sure Nissan will correct it soon.

Phil'sFrontier
Car: Nissan Frontier SE kc 4x4

mistergib wrote:
Phillip...Phillip....please don't think that using Chrysler as a comparison to our Rogues is going to make us feel better....BAD comparison! Chryslerhas never had a reliability record worth bragging about....never. If Nissanmimics Chrysler in any way, nobody will buy'm! Isn't it curious that Honda and Toyota are absent from the list.....Nissanshould be shooting for their reliability and production quality numbers...even Hyundai has realized that....
What you think that Toyota and Honda have perfect vehicles?? The new Toyota Tundra has had many problems....recalls included. I see you are going to RogueOwnerz and flaming over there about this so called problem as well. Has anybody made a poll to get some numbers, because I don't think a few problem trans. warrant a recall of an entire vehicle line-up. Coming online and bashing Nissan like you have contributes nothing to this or any thread. OK, we have established your trans is making a noise, but that doesn't mean you should get your vehicle recalled. There are several plausible explanations for a noise like this. Poor quality control by Nissan is probably the least likely of the answers here. Maybe the CVT just needs to be better programmed as to hold a higher rpm at times....I don't know?You could go to any online forum and find problems( I did just that....here's a link ot a Rav4 forum http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16073 where the owner describes his throttle sticking after letting off the gas) and FYI this thread does not affect our families choice to buy a Rogue...otherwise we would never get vehicle......you need to chill out and get a little perspective on this prolem.

Sorry to start off on the wrong foot with you here but I needed to get that out

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

Phil’sFrontier wrote:What you think that Toyota and Honda have perfect vehicles?? The new Toyota Tundra has had many problems....recalls included. I see you are going to RogueOwnerz and flaming over there about this so called problem as well. Has anybody made a poll to get some numbers, because I don't think a few problem trans. warrant a recall of an entire vehicle line-up. Coming online and bashing Nissan like you have contributes nothing to this or any thread. OK, we have established your trans is making a noise, but that doesn't mean you should get your vehicle recalled. There are several plausible explanations for a noise like this. Poor quality control by Nissan is probably the least likely of the answers here. Maybe the CVT just needs to be better programmed as to hold a higher rpm at times....I don't know?You could go to any online forum and find problems( I did just that....here's a link ot a Rav4 forum http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16073 where the owner describes his throttle sticking after letting off the gas) and FYI this thread does not affect our families choice to buy a Rogue...otherwise we would never get vehicle......you need to chill out and get a little perspective on this prolem.

...whew...I think you are the one that needs to chill....quit taking thingsso personal!For one thing, check my posts, my tranny doesn't make any noise as yet,and maybe it never will.... and, if you had read my posts, you would seewhere I stated that, at this time, we really don't know how large or howsmall this problem really is, I and everybody else is waiting on the numberstoo!Lastly, do I think that Honda and Toyota are perfect....absolutely not, butif you think that Nissan has mimic'd their overall reliability and productionquality numbers , you need to check again.....and I'm talking about majorproblems(tranny, etc) here, not sticky throttle wires.

Just relax man, we're all after the same ....peace!

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

Phil’sFrontier wrote:What you think that Toyota and Honda have perfect vehicles?? The new Toyota Tundra has had many problems....recalls included. I see you are going to RogueOwnerz and flaming over there about this so called problem as well. Has anybody made a poll to get some numbers, because I don't think a few problem trans. warrant a recall of an entire vehicle line-up. Coming online and bashing Nissan like you have contributes nothing to this or any thread. OK, we have established your trans is making a noise, but that doesn't mean you should get your vehicle recalled. There are several plausible explanations for a noise like this. Poor quality control by Nissan is probably the least likely of the answers here. Maybe the CVT just needs to be better programmed as to hold a higher rpm at times....I don't know?You could go to any online forum and find problems( I did just that....here's a link ot a Rav4 forum http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16073 where the owner describes his throttle sticking after letting off the gas) and FYI this thread does not affect our families choice to buy a Rogue...otherwise we would never get vehicle......you need to chill out and get a little perspective on this prolem.

I bought a brand new 2007 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl last April and had 3 transmissions replaced in 6 months. Toyota finaly did a Lemon Law buyback and in November of 2007 I bought a new base model SL FWD Rogue for my replacement. I work out of my Rogue and put 300 - 400 miles a week on it. After 6 months in my Rogue I have 16000 miles on it and not one problem so far...

mistergib
Car: 2008 Silver Nissan Rogue AWD SL

mlmcgahee wrote:
I bought a brand new 2007 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl last April and had 3 transmissions replaced in 6 months. Toyota finaly did a Lemon Law buyback and in November of 2007 I bought a new base model SL FWD Rogue for my replacement. I work out of my Rogue and put 300 - 400 miles a week on it. After 6 months in my Rogue I have 16000 miles on it and not one problem so far...
...guys, don't misunderstand what I said.....I realize that all things happento all manufacturers....I'm talking about the "overall" ratings, not singularevents....don't take it personally, I didn't create the stats....

It is comforting to know your experience, I'm hoping that its the samefor me and the others....like I said, my Rogue has not had a problem one!So far, I've REALLY liked my Rogue. I'm waiting for the numbers to comeout....I'm hoping that the tranny thing proves out to be a uncommonproblem...

Oh, and by the way....the tranny problems seem to only exist with theAWD models, not the FWD models....

bshess
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Update on mine...dealer had it until Sat morning, wanted to give the Rogue back to me until Nissan told them what to do with it (I Actually missed it--got really crappy rentals). Got a vm message this afternoon; the dealer has ordered me a new "transfer case assembly" (sorry, not a car guy), and will make arrangements with me for install in the next 7-10 days when it comes in.

Coincidentally, I ran into a tech with a uniform from my dealer in "public" on Sat morning. I mentioned about my car, and he mentioned he was the tech actually working on my car. He explained that my car was the first in like 6 years they had to contact Nissan engineering about before going forward. Although I am not a car guy, and didn't understand half of what he was saying, he at least explained it to me in a way that made me feel valued, and that they were genuinely trying to work it out. We'll see whether it works.

Yetty
Car: 2008 Rogue

I have a Rogue and after about two months of owning it I started hearing a noise coming from the left driver side. It seems like you hear the noise more when you are going down an incline or steering to the left. I took my vehicle into a Nissan dealership and they told me the noise is normal with AWD, I don't believe Nissan engineers would allow this to pass their test. Today I received a call from the Nissan dealership and they told me that they are aware of the noise and will let me know when there is a solution to the problem. The noise has something to do with the transmission. I am sick and tired of hearing the noise, this is my first new car and I am very upset by this noise. My 1989 Nissan is much quieter than my new purchased Rogue. I hope Nissan comes up with a recall soon and fixes the problem in a timely manner.
Modified by Yetty at 4:14 PM 6/23/2008

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Come on take a deep breath and lets wait what Nissan comes up with.

Paul

Yetty
Car: 2008 Rogue

Don't get me wrong I love my Rogue but I hate the noise. I hope for a solution soon because I don't want to have to look for another car.

Phil'sFrontier
Car: Nissan Frontier SE kc 4x4

mistergib wrote:Time for some good ol' logic....

Seems to me that if transmissions, (plural), are now starting to bereplaced....WITHOUT a TSB or recall of any type, that all Nissan isdoing is putting a bandaid on it and crossing their fingers.

If Nissan does not recognize this problem enough to do the TSB/recall, or at least admit that they have a problem, then this means they have NOTdeveloped a fix for it, meaning......the tranny that they replace it with willprobably end up with the same problem and IT will have to be replaced also. All we are doing then is playing musical transmissions!

PLEASE let me be wrong in this assumption!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm becoming very disillusioned with my Nissan Rogue .....
I am 'chilled' buddy. Don't worry about me. This quote above is one good example of flaming. And a direct contradiction to what you said in the rant above.

daytrippr

paulvanharte wrote:Come on take a deep breath and lets wait what Nissan comes up with.

Paul
Here's the update on ours:

We are going to pick our Rogue back up this afternoon. It's been at their shop for 2 1/2 weeks.

They changed the Transfer case as that was where the sound appeared to be coming from. Turns out the noise IS coming from the transmission and it echo'd thru the transfer case.

Nissan told them that it is coming from the transmission but they don’t know what the problem is, as yet. The Engineers are still trying to figure it out.

Nissan said to give us back our car and that it’s OK to drive. I asked the dealer : “how do they know it’s ok to drive if they don’t what it is?”

He said that Nissan said there have been NO failures so they have no reason to think it will fail.

The dealer said that if the noise gets alarmingly louder then we definitely should call him. He will let us know right away when Nissan has a fix.

Regardless of the ambivalent and somewaht disappointing news, we are glad to have our Rogue back.

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

OK, I'm sorry but this is where I loose it completely. First they kept your vehicle for 2 1/2 weeks and secondly they fixed a part that didn't need to be fixed (transfer case) and thirdly, most important!, the part that needs to be fixed won't be because it hasn't suffered complete failure!!! OMG This is what I went through! I have lost all respect for Nissan and their service techs. Say what you want and I'm sure their are some of you that would support this stupidity but I am beside myself with this trany issue. Crack the damn thing open and see what the problem is already! Something is rubbing and rattling and it shouldn't be and I'm certain that it can easily be identified by wear within the CVT. Then fix said problem! How frigging complicated can that be today?

homergreg
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD Iridium

daytrippr wrote:
Here's the update on ours:

We are going to pick our Rogue back up this afternoon. It's been at their shop for 2 1/2 weeks.

They changed the Transfer case as that was where the sound appeared to be coming from. Turns out the noise IS coming from the transmission and it echo'd thru the transfer case.

Nissan told them that it is coming from the transmission but they don’t know what the problem is, as yet. The Engineers are still trying to figure it out.

Nissan said to give us back our car and that it’s OK to drive. I asked the dealer : “how do they know it’s ok to drive if they don’t what it is?”

He said that Nissan said there have been NO failures so they have no reason to think it will fail.

The dealer said that if the noise gets alarmingly louder then we definitely should call him. He will let us know right away when Nissan has a fix.

Regardless of the ambivalent and somewaht disappointing news, we are glad to have our Rogue back.
Sorry you have had to go through all that! Hopefully they will come up with a fix real soon and you and the others that have had to go through this will be done with it! (Plus if others see the problem, then it might be a quick fix!)

daytrippr

homergreg wrote:
Sorry you have had to go through all that! Hopefully they will come up with a fix real soon and you and the others that have had to go through this will be done with it! (Plus if others see the problem, then it might be a quick fix!)
Thanks, Homey!

My wife brought the car home. I took it for a drive. I roll to a stop at the stop sign...(rattle rattle). I drive away slowly and take my foot off of the gas (rattle rattle).

I turn the BOSE stereo up REAL LOUD! I can't hear the rattle... AH! I Fixed it!

daytrippr

Goblin wrote:... Crack the damn thing open and see what the problem is already! Something is rubbing and rattling and it shouldn't be and I'm certain that it can easily be identified by wear within the CVT. Then fix said problem! How frigging complicated can that be today?
I totally agree Goblin, but what can we do? Mostly, I feel like what we are getting here is: "oh, quit whining, Nissan will figure it out...btw, what color Rogue do you have? Has anyone found a good locking gas cap? How can Nissan give us a $25K car without a locking gas cap?..."

Give me a break. When most of them have that cvt rattle, then they will understand.

BigPapi'sRogue

Can anyone who has had their transmission replaced please respond as to whether this truly made their Rogue's noise go away?

My dealer got an authorization from Nissan to replace both the transmission and transfer case. They expect the parts to be in this week and are planning to work on my car next week.

I am very nervous about this because right now, the only perceivable problem I know I have is the noise. The car runs great. They could replace both these parts, and I could still have the noise, not to mention any "fallout" issues as the result of them doing such a complex repair. The dealer told me that this is a $7000 repair.

I am wondering if I am better off not having these parts replaced now , and waiting to see if Nissan comes up with a much less invasive fix. I don't want my car to be the guinea pig.

bshess
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Great...so the transfer case replacement may not be a solution after all...whether or not I go into meltdown is very contingent on how the dealer and Nissan continues to handle this...I am beginning to feel my blood boil

Goblin
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg.

BigPap.. I read somewhere, I think in these post, that some of the guys are on their second transmissions, that in fact that has not solved the problem but just rubber stamped it with a band-aide. I am on the fence with this issue as I feel they should replace a faulty rattling transmission as it is not normal but replacing it with another/same that is likely to fail is not the solution either. I just don't want to be the first one to fail on a road trip. Anyhow, good luck with your decision and I hope it is the solution we are all governing for.

Daytrip..My Rogue is White. My daughter picked out the color and I gave it no thought. It seems the guys at work think a white rogue is gay, so I catch sh$t all the time.
Modified by Goblin at 9:24 AM 6/25/2008

BigPapi'sRogue

Daytrip - They only replaced your transfer case? I thought a couple of your earlier posts indicated you were having the transmission replaced, no?

daytrippr

BigPapi’sRogue wrote:Daytrip - They only replaced your transfer case? I thought a couple of your earlier posts indicated you were having the transmission replaced, no?
That's what they originally implied... turned out to just be the transfer case.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

Guys I have a FWD Rogue and have no I dea what the noise sounds like or how loud it is. But if I was in your shoes I would try to wait until Nissan had a firm soltution to correct the problem. To this point I know of no reported break downs caused by the issue so I would exersize a little patentence and give Nissan more time. Just my 2 cents.

philipa_240sx

daytrippr wrote:Mostly, I feel like what we are getting here is: "oh, quit whining, Nissan will figure it out...

Give me a break. When most of them have that cvt rattle, then they will understand.
Daytrippr, I have to admit you are right on this one. Those of us who do not have this problem likely have much more patience.

I encounter all sorts of problems servicing mechanical equipment and control systems in my job (Building Automation and HVAC systems). The biggest obstacle is always replicating a problem long after it has been reported. Sometimes you get lucky and you find it straight away. Other times it takes days, weeks, or months to replicate it. Once you replicate it, then you have to find what is causing it and properly fix it. I've been there more times than I can remember... I'm on the front line every day and usually the first one to hear of a problem... and I take plenty of flak too. Having first hand experience, I can well appreciate Nissan engineers and the work they do. This is why I give them the benefit of the doubt and the time to come up with the solution.

When you do find a potential fix, you have to carefully evaluate it, test it and ensure it will work 100% before embarking on a major program to fix hundreds of systems... or in this case vehicles. The ramifications of getting it wrong are huge in terms of costs, customer satisfaction (and repeat sales). This is why it can take so long to see some action.

Anyway, keep in contact with your dealer and Nissan. And most of all be patient.

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

Phil’sFrontier wrote:I am 'chilled' buddy. Don't worry about me. This quote above is one good example of flaming. And a direct contradiction to what you said in the rant above.
Modified by mlmcgahee at 6:36 AM 6/29/2008

paulvanharte
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

I just had my first oil change and the service manager told me that Nissan (Canada) is working on the problem. They are aware of some transmissions replaced in the US., but he stated that that does not make sense as the "new" transmission will do the same until Nissan figures out what is causing the noise. There are no failures reported as of yet.Will keep you posted.

Paul

dcnissan

I have a FWD Rogue, I have noticed a jumping or surging when I come out of drive into N / out of Rev into N when parking (back and forth). I am aware of the clicking noise, this is diff. Any advice?

And, is the clicking / tranny problem isolated to AWD Rogues?

Thanks

daytrippr

dcnissan wrote:I have a FWD Rogue...

And, is the clicking / tranny problem isolated to AWD Rogues?

Thanks
With our limited sample so far the only complaints have come from AWS owners. I have never had the 'surging' issue, just a rattling noise coming from the tranny at lower speeds.

daytrippr

Of course I meant AWD

Return to “Rogue Forum”