CVT Fluid Questions

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Mi26
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue

Just looking for advice on CVT fluid change. We have an '11 Nissan Rogue with 61k miles. Just had it at the dealer for inspection and asked service department about changing the CVT fluid and he said he wouldn’t as sometimes this ends up causing more issues.

Should I get this fluid changed or listen to the dealer? I need this vehicle to last as long as possible and have heard conflicting reports.

Thanks
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Yah, more issues for Nissan because they can’t sell you another Nissan if yours last’s forever. :stickhit: :bs:

You’re lucky, I change it late in the game at 76k.

I’m about to break 100k miles on the original cvt.

Will drive it til my cvt blows up. :dance

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

Just seconding Casper's position. Not sure if you should have it done by the dealer, but I'm just leery of dealerships in general. If you're handy you can probably diy it, or just look for a reputable mechanic who can do it for you.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you DIY, just be very careful not to overfill. Overage is very destructive very quickly because it foams the fluid, it's much worse than any underfill. Put in 4.25~4.5 quarts and drive it several miles to get the tranny good and warm, then top off to the right level. Don't ever just toss in 5 quarts, it can be disastrous.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

START HERE: 08-13 ROGUE DIY REPAIRS & MAINTENANCE, FAQ & INFO, TIPS, etc

This is what Nissan recommends. If your car did not come with a copy of this booklet, you can download it for free from this link. 2011 Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide - Nissan Rogue
15,000 MILES OR 12 MONTHS
SCHEDULE 1 AND 2
Inspect the following: Automatic transmission/CVT fluid

30,000 MILES OR 24 MONTHS
SCHEDULE 1 AND 2
Inspect the following: Automatic transmission/CVT fluid

OPTIONAL PREMIUM UPGRADE
Replace automatic transmission/CVT/eCVT fluid
If your car did not come with a copy of the owners book, you can download it for free from this link.
2011 Nissan Rogue Owner's Manual

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:59 am
If you DIY, just be very careful not to overfill. Overage is very destructive very quickly because it foams the fluid, it's much worse than any underfill. Put in 4.25~4.5 quarts and drive it several miles to get the tranny good and warm, then top off to the right level. Don't ever just toss in 5 quarts, it can be disastrous.

Actually, 5 quarts is a good baseline for the AWD; 1st generation.

I actually did my last drain and fill with 5 quarts thinking I was done with it. This was during the last time and I thought I was all good.

Just for the heck of it, i thought I check it a few days later, the tranmission dipstick was bone dry after driving for 1 hr doing errands.

Yah, I was stupid. :bang

I had been using fluid in various degrees in the past.

Like I needed 5 Qts after a drain & fill.
I needed 5 1/2 Qts, if I drop the pan.
I needed 6 Qts, if I drop the pan and replaced the strainer.

I didn't know why 5 Qts was not the minimum for the last drain at least in my case, but I needed like another half quart if I remember correctly.

I do drain for a couple of hours just letting it empty every last drop. The 6 quarts was needed while letting it drain for like a week while waiting for a new transmission pan. My rogue was stuck in between the garage opened on ramps when I decided to replace my tranmission pan because I accidentally chipped the black powder coat inside it. Me being ocd, I didn't want more flakes coming off, so I ordered a new pan.

The goal is to get it right in the middle of the hash marks, I always caution on the low end but I guess I overdid that obviously. Because usually 5 qts got me right in the middle of the hash marks.

:inoutgay:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:33 am
The goal is to get it right in the middle of the hash marks, I always caution on the low end but I guess I overdid that obviously. Because usually 5 qts got me right in the middle of the hash marks.
Then you're doing right by it. The cardinal sin is overfilling, not under. A little underfilled driving won't hurt a bit, as long as it isn't extremely under.

Return to “Rogue Forum”