CVT fluid question

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Botao_sk8
Car: Nissan Sentra 2.0 CVT

Hello guys, my name is Bruno, i'm from Brazil and new to this forum... I would appreciate a hand here. I've just bought an used 2008 Sentra 2.0 with CVT transmission and i'm experiencing noises and sliding feeling after driving under hard acceleration (The MIL is ON since one these accelarations btw) and i suspect it may come from the transmission. The previous owner said he has never changed fluid or done any kind of service on the transmission, because according to him, the CVT fluid is lifetime. I already know he is wrong from i've read. And i want change the fluid immediately. The car has 78k miles on the clock. My question is, can i use the Honda CVT oil? It is the only CVT fluid i find on aftermarket and it costs around $25/liter here in Brazil... I heard Nissan OEM costs around $70/liter and i'm not willing to pay that much.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Bem-vindo ao NICO!

The Nissan CVT should have it's fluid changed at regular intervals. As for using the Honda branded fluid, I'm not aware that anyone has used it.

There's a lot of discussion on this topic in the Rogue forum, including this post from a member that apparently has successfully used Valvoline CVT Full Synthetic Fluid valvoline-cvt-fluid-t601356.html

If you go to this page the-official-rogue-faq-information-answ ... 07234.html and scroll a little ways down to the DIY area, you'll find several links to more pages for CVT fluid changes (while not your vehicle type, the info should still be helpful).

chipahoy
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45T, 250,000k

Penzoil makes a great cvt fluid. I changed my sentra's. Available at pep boys

wil23
Car: Sentra 2.0 l CVT 2012 B16 Special Edition

hi, i also live in Brazil, i own a B16 CVT 2.0L 2012 since new.

i have reached 16k miles with my car, and i did not expected to change my CVT fluid before something like 50k miles.
But another day, going through a very hard slope I would guess more than 30 degrees) near my home, using "L", i got my engine running on a 3.500 rpm for less than 2 minutes.
This way i've got to listen that noise, we call here in Brazil "zooning".

Is it normal? I mean, after a very strong charge like this, is it expected to face problems?
Or does my CVT fluid has runned out its useful life?

In Brazil we don't have many options to NS-2 from Nissan, that charges a very high price. But Mitsubishi is selling the same fluid (they even use same package as Nissan), for almost half the price. I think that's because Lancer users are being told to replace CVT fluid every 16k miles.

PauloE
Car: Nissan Sentra S 2011 B16 CVT

Hello guys! I'm from Brazil too! After two consecutive partial exchanges on my 2011 Sentra B16 CVT tranny I'm using Valvoline CVT oil now. A curious fact is that after the change I noticed an increase of rotation by the engine with the new oil. On the road at 100km/h (about 60mph), for example, the engine rotation kept at 1900rpm before but now it keeps at 2000rpm. Even driving through the city any tread on the accelerator raises more the rotation than before. However, I did not notice a noticeable difference in consumption until now. Anyone else noticed this difference in CVT behavior?

Unfortunately, here in Brazil we do not yet have a very large range in oils for cvt transmissions such as Pennzoil, Eneos, Amsoil, Redline, and other famous ones in the USA. But, the extent to which the CVT transmissions is popularizing quickly here I believe that in a short time we will have a good offer of these products.

But, so far I have no complaints from Valvoline oil. In fact, I have a curious and even funny complaint: How bad it smells! It has a very strong odor. During the exchange procedure I accidentally spilled some on the garage floor that stank for days. When you open the hood with hot engine comes a strong smell. Sometimes you can smell it even standing next to the car. I was even worried that there might be a kind of leak but is all dry. Even my wife already complained about the bad smell. God in heaven, how this oil stinks!!! Lol But I think this situation will get better over time.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”