CVT fluid cooler

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Kelscar
Car: 2007 Versa Hatchback SL Magnetic Gray,
2014 Murano SL Platinum Graphite

Today my 07 CVT hatchback showed hot and check engine came on. Dealership checked and said trans cooler came apart inside radiator, mixing coolant and cvt fluid. Service guy started talking about I need to get a different car, BS. At this point we are going to replace the radiator, flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat and water valve. Also going to flush the trans a couple times. Obviously I'm worried about the trans, but they drove it into the shop, not slipping or anything.
What else should I be thing about. Has anybody else had this happen.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Thoughts. I always fear that happening once the cars get older and very common at some point for me to bypass that internal cooler to simply use an air cooled one. But I'm in Texas, where it never gets cold enough to fault trans even in winter.

The trans cooler loop is usually at higher pressure than then the cooling system so most of the leak goes one way, into water. 18 psi vs. 30 psi or more. Be guided by how much coolant is in the first trans fluid dump. A first trans flush may not get all of it unless car driven for a bit to empty out the clutch voids where the first flush missed those trapped amounts. It doesn't take much water in fluid to kill load carrying ability either.

It can be hard to get oil out of the cooling system. This will sound whacky but it works if they use ethanol in your local fuel. I've rinsed oil out using gasoline (the standard common sense rules apply to that, fire, etc.), the ethanol component allows easier mixing with the water to get more complete removal when done and the gas part cuts the oil film much better to not stick so much to rough cast internal passages. Not nearly 100% gas, just a big dose added to water. Consider ignition sources, where you do it, the dealer if competent will flat refuse to do it and smart. Do it out in the open.

You are on your own with that one but done smart it works fine if nothing else does. BTDT.

Return to “Versa General Chat”