CVT Fluid Change

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rogueagent08
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL

okay it's getting time to change my CVT tranny fluid. Nissan says that only Nissan CVT transmission fluid will work. after reading up on this Eneos makes a fully synthetic CVT transmission fluid that seems to be equal to or better than the Nissan fluid. Has anyone done this service with a fluid other than Nissan CVT fluid? does any know what the capacity of tranny fluid on the Rogue CVT tranny?

philipa_240sx

Nissan has released a tech bulletin stating that warranty claims may be denied if something other than Genuine Nissan NS-2 fluid is used. This becomes even more important now that Nissan has extended the warranty on the CVT to 10yr, 120,000mi. Read more here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Ro...a.pdf

Here's where to get it: https://www.amazon.com/Nissan-999MP-NS2 ... B005ETHNV6

Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything else. The NS-2 fluid is specifically formulated by Nissan/Jatco for their CVT transmissions. It's has some very special properties.... specifically it allows the drive pulleys to properly 'grip' the steel belt and prolongs the life of the belt and transmission in general. Using anything else could damage the CVT.

The NS-2 fluid is actually very durable. Even under severe service, Nissan recommends fairly long 60,000mi (100,000km) change intervals. Some members in the Versa forums have driven much longer before needing CVT fluid replacement.... over 100,000mi. The CVT computer has a deterioration date/ calculation that determines (based on usage) when the fluid should be changed. The dealer can read this information from the computer and tell you if the fluid needs to be changed.

Finally, the CVT transmission requires approx 7.5l (7.9qt) for FWD and 8.6l (9.1qt) for AWD models.

If you wish to do your own fluid change, you will need the following:

- NS-2 fluid part no. 999MP-NS200P. Approx $15/qt.- CVT drain pan plug gasket #11026-01M02

Instructions on replacing the CVT fluid can be found in the service manual. Refer to the 'MA' section on pg MA-31:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Rogue/2008/MA.pdf

philipa_240sx

This is such a good question. I'm adding to the Official Rogue FAQ.

chove1437
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I am leasing my Rogue and trying to keep up with my maintenance schedule. At 48K, it states to change the CVT fluid. Do I have to get this done in order to keep in line with my lease maitenance schedule?Trusted mechanic has quoted me $25 a bottle. Approx, 9 bottles for SL AWD.

Don't want to have to spend $270 + labour if I don't have to.Please adviseThanks!

mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

chove1437 wrote:I am leasing my Rogue and trying to keep up with my maintenance schedule. At 48K, it states to change the CVT fluid. Do I have to get this done in order to keep in line with my lease maitenance schedule?Trusted mechanic has quoted me $25 a bottle. Approx, 9 bottles for SL AWD.

Don't want to have to spend $270 + labour if I don't have to.Please adviseThanks!
I have 56000 miles on my 08 Rogue. I took it to the dealer for CVT service and all they had to do was run a computer test on the CVT. They stated that it still had 75% life left in the CVT fluid before it needed to be changed.

chove1437

Thanks for the reply! I think I'll go get my CVT fluid tested before I do what my maintenance schedule tells me to do. I'll keep you all posted of what my dealership says....just to see if I'm getting ripped off.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Good plan,

The results of the fluid test should be clearly indicated on your service record, don't take a verbal report without the paper work to back it up, especially if they are trying to get you to change the fluid. At such low mileage there is no way you should need to change the fluid so be sure the quanify everything for you, let us know how it turns out!

chove1437

Placed a call to a dealer where I get my service done. Was planning on booking an appointment for my 48K service and stated that the Service Schedule at 48K suggested a test and change of the CVT fluid. The Service Tech was surprised that the book said that and said that 48K it wasn't necessary to change the CVT fluid. The fluid should last at least 160K.I'll play it safe and get it tested at 100K.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

The 2008 Service and Maintenance Guide never states any timeframes where you MUST change your CVT fluid.

It should be inspected at regular intervals (which my dealer does) and I assume that if it tests unsatisfactorily they will recommend that I have it changed.

The "Premium" Service Guide is extreme overkill and not required for your warranty. If my assumptions are wrong, I would appreciate the input.

philipa_240sx

From the 2010 SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE GUIDE, pg 7:
Premium Maintenance is a Nissan-recommended option; you need not perform such maintenance in order to maintain the warranties which come with your Nissan.Premium Maintenance may not be available outside the United States, please inquire of your dealer.
The way I read it, so long as you follow the basic maintenance as outlined in Schedule #1 or #2, the warranty is valid.

If you do it yourself, document it with receipts, mileage, etc.

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

the dealer wants a ridiculous amount of money to hook the computer up and get a reading on the cvt. I believe they have it under computer diognostic testing. They told me I need to change it at 30,000miles. I now have around 48,000 miles and have still not changed it. I figure it can't hurt to do it at 60,000. There is no point in asking them to check it they would just say it needs to be done that is how they make their money.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

psfod3 wrote:They told me I need to change it at 30,000miles..
I say: "time to find a new dealer"

EddNog

My mechanic checked my CVT fluid out at ~48,000 miles and advised me that the fluid was looking dirty and recommended a change, so I went ahead and had him do it. No noticible change in performance afterwards.

-Ed

Weberrider
Car: 2009 Rohue

I had mt fluid changed by my dealer at 61000 miles. Fluid cost was $64.47 and labor was $165.48 for a total of $229.95. Had the car back before lunch. No problems before the change and no difference after the change.

jbroda
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008

How many quarts do I need for just a single drain and re-fill cycle? I assume not all of the CVT fluid comes out when you open the drain plug. Is it about 3 to 4 quarts? Thanks!

philipa_240sx

It's way more than 3-4 quarts. Read my post above:

Nissan will not honor the new 10 year/120,000 mi CVT warranty if you use anything other than the NS-2 CVT fluid.

Rogue Noob
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I know I'm new, and noobs often resurrect dead threads but I wanted to see how many people have done this. I also want to chime in and say that unless the CVT is 100% different than a regular transmission and all of the fluid drains, it will not be in the pan for draining like jbroda eluded to.

My Honda holds 8-9 quarts too... but an ATF change is 2.6qts. I assume the Rogue is similar? Since it will take a while to actually remove all of the old fluids when only changing 30% at a time, when are most people starting it and at what intervals?

Car is '08 with 87k right now. It supposedly gets checked every few months by the dealer but I don't know how extensive their test is.

kerrton

The CVT fluid check is done with the CONSULT diagnostic tool, they just hook up and check the onboard computer for a "remaining service life", which it calculates based on many detailed parameters that it monitors while you drive. The tech will also do a visual check on the fluid to check for discoloration and according to one TSB "abnormal odour". The CVT fluid dipstick is easily accessible so you can check this yourself, at the very least you'll know if your level is correct, and you can see how discolored the fluid is although this is only a very rough indicator of fluid quality. I just checked my dipstick the other day and the fluid is crystal clear after 60,000 km.

Nana510
Car: 2008 Nissan Sentra SL2

I have to ask because I can't find it. Where the heck is the dipstick to check the fluid? I've tried everywhere in the manual to find it to check the fluid level but nothing indicates where it is. Help!

Rogue Noob

I think it is to the right of the engine (car isn't here to confirm). Judging by the awful pictures in the service manual....

It may be rubber or plastic on the tip. It is very unassuming. You must sqeeze the top part to release it. In order to check you must warm the car up, then stop, while stopped go through all of the gears. Then pull CVT fluid level gauge, wipe off, rotate 180 degrees, then reinsert. If it smells burnt or is very dark, change the fluid.

That is all paraphrased from the FSM. I suggest picking one up before tackling any maintenance, especially something as sensitive as the CVT.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

ITS NOT A COMMON LOOKING DIPSTIP. IT WONT HAVE THE RING/HOOP WE ARE USED TOO. ITS JUST A BLACK NUB
AND IT REQUIRES UNLOCKING IN ORDER TO TAKE OUT.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

It will also have a sticker around it that says "NS-2". It's in the front middle

Rogue Noob

I tried checking it yesterday. Without the instructions I was unable to remove the dipstick to check. My guess is that this is by design. They don't want , your typical mechanic messing with it. If they look up how to get that thing off they will probably also read that it requires special fluid. I will get that thing open eventually!

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

See page MA-30 of the factory service manual for more information on removing the dipstick. A hook or pick would be useful here - you can get a 4-piece hook and pick set from Harbor Freight Tools for very cheap.

kerrton

I just use a short, small screwdriver to push in the tab holding the dipstick in place. You don't have to push hard, just depress a couple mm and pull the dipstick up at the same time.

Orphanedcowboy
Car: Nissan Rogue SL

Nissan replaced the CVT in my Rogue at 97,000 and last week the both inner boots failed, showed cracks that I noticed while changing the oil.

I drained the CVT and there is no way that a drain and refill is more than 6qts. I refilled and it is roughly 6 1/2 qts. I bought 8 because of this post. I put the old oil in 2 gallon just and the second one is just over 1/2 full.

I didn't flush the lines or drain the converter either, and I lost a little when the drivers side axle was pulled.

Is there an update to capacity? This is the only post I found regarding it.

Thanks Darryle

dave08902
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360'

I made a DIY on the fluid change on the CVT transmission. It takes a little over 4 quarts. If you put six quarts in your overfilled and you will overheat your transmission and it will go into fail-safe mode to protect itself from damage.

GT944
Car: '10 Rogue 360

Just finished this service today - drained a total of 4.8 L (let it drip for 5 minutes after removing plug). The CVT apparently works similarly to the standard automatic - initial fill is much greater than a service fill. My advice: buy extra, replace what you drain, check and recheck levels after some drives, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Great info on this thread and forum- very helpful!

Hugo L.
Car: 2008 Rogue SL
2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon
1999 BMW M3 'vert

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just had the CVT fluid changed yesterday.

I had called a local stealership a while ago, and they told me the fluid could easily last over 150k miles, but should be changed no matter what at 180k miles.

Our Rogue hasn't hit the 120k mile mark yet, and the dealer quoted me over 600$ for this job (I'm in Canada). I found a local, trusted shop that only does transmission work and he quoted me between 275$ and 300$. It ended up costing 284$.

It's amazing how expensive dealerships are...

engineer20
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Package

So the dealer will be able to tell you how much CVT life is left? Does the 2015 Rogue have a difference service interval since it's a newer generation jatco CVT? I was thinking about draining and filling it at 30k, but i guess i could go to the dealer to have them inspect it (i'd prefer DIYing oil changes, cheaper and i get better filters/oil), but how much would that inspection fee be? And does this car have a tranny drain plug that's easy to access? I plan to do my first oil change by myself soon and can't find the oil filter, it's off the side on the passenger side, right?

Return to “Rogue Forum”