CVT fluid and change interval

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
2016 Versa
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa SV

I just bought my Versa a week ago and have been researching the CVT and am looking into the future at CVT fluid changes. How has the CVT in everyone's Versa (if equipped with CVT) holding up? How long does everyone go between fluid changes? What brand fluids have you used? Is it necessary to change the CVT belt and if so what is everyone's interval for that? This is my first vehicle to be equipped with a CVT and am not at all familiar with them.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You'll likely find out that Nissan doesn't do CVT so well in ANY of their models, the cars have plenty of trouble with them. Very erratic though, some last forever and some spit out trans in a short time. The belt is NOT something you can get to, it's new trans time if you need one.

Nissan likely says change fluid at 60K miles and a lot of them tear up around that number. You might do well to change fluid at half that or 30K miles but be warned, it's not cheap. Use Nissan fluid as the problems are so high you don't want to shortchange there.

2016 Versa

I'd been reading about the problems Nissan had with the CVT that's the reason I was asking so many questions. I'd seen that Valvoline, Lucus and a few others made a fluid that was also supposed to compatible and was wondering about their use. It had actually been thinking about 40-50K changes but will watch this thread and see what others are doing.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

First thing to do is verify whether you even have a dipstick to check fluid level with. Nissan is not putting them on cars anymore. So now say you have an axle seal start to leak and the trans gets torn up simply because you can't check that easily. The way Nissan does it by overflowing the pan through a standpipe is so utterly moronic it screams they want to tear up the transmissions on purpose simply to be able to sell you another one.

Not being able to check fluid level is so stoneage that alone should make people go screaming for the exits to buy another brand of car.

2016 Versa

I agree no transmission dipstick is a stupid move on any car manufactures part but lots of manufactures have gone to that. I've watched a few videos on you tube for different model Versas and they have all shown a dipstick. Today is rainy but I'll double check my car in the next few days to be sure it has one. All manufacturers are trying to do is make it so the few of us that actually do our own maintenence/repairs has to give that up and take the car to a dealer for every little thing. The only things that I can remember hiring someone to do as far as car maintenence in the past 25 years is to put in a clutch for me and a couple times when the weather wasn't fit to do my own oil changes let someone else do the work and I'd provide the oil/filter. Years ago I had a Chrysler with an automatic transmission, when I asked about a fluid change they said they'd drop the pan, remove filter, put in a new filter and top it back off with transmission fluid. I decided to do it myself and found out the torque converter had a plug in it that could be removed and drain it as well so I actually got the majority of the fluid out that way where otherwise it would have probably been less than half of it. When I sold the car it had 232K miles on it and the transmission was still shifting great.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Those transmissions were overbuilt to do that, now they can last too but commonly the internal parts are such to look like they belong in a model car. I build ATX, you used to be able to FULLY rebuild one for $250, now they have so many wearable parts you cannot do it nearly so completely without at least $600-$800 of parts alone and buying them at jobber prices.

My '17 Altima had no stick but I bought one for a '13 and works perfectly now. Look for the dipstick standpipe, they are still there but only have a plug in the top.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

We've had 4 Versas and one Juke with CVTs in our family. One Versa did have CVT issues at 172k miles, when my son decided to trade it in. I'm not sure he followed the Nissan service suggestions. One was totaled at 120k or so miles. My most recent (2012 w/77k) is still going fine, as is the Juke (2016 w/20k) and my son's new Versa Note. I always go by the book on service for something like this, and we have our CVT fluid changed at 60k miles.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Luck of the draw, it doesn't explain all the ones that tear up way before 60K..........it's not a small number.

2016 Versa

kc5f wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:05 pm
We've had 4 Versas and one Juke with CVTs in our family. One Versa did have CVT issues at 172k miles, when my son decided to trade it in. I'm not sure he followed the Nissan service suggestions. One was totaled at 120k or so miles. My most recent (2012 w/77k) is still going fine, as is the Juke (2016 w/20k) and my son's new Versa Note. I always go by the book on service for something like this, and we have our CVT fluid changed at 60k miles.
Do you use Nissan CVT fluid or an aftermarket fluid?

2016 Versa

Today I started thinking about the fact that heat is what causes lots of automatic transmission failures and was wondering if anyone had added an aftermarket transmission cooler to their Nissan CVT. I may ask around at some transmission shops about doing this. I've got a brand new transmission cooler/hoses/mounting hardware around here somewhere that I bought several years ago that I'd planned on putting on another car but never got around to it. Maybe I'll finally be able to put it to some use. This should also allow you to increase the fluid capacity which in turn should make the fluid life longer and help keep the CVT running cooler and happier. I'd like everyone's thoughts and opinions about this.

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

Many Nissan come with one already as heat IS a problem. Not the conventional type though, they commonly run engine coolant to the cooler to keep temp down. Cooler is usually right on the trans IIRC. Look for hoses running from radiator to the trans...........

amc49
'17 Nissan Altima

2016 Versa

I think there's one on the Versa but was thinking of maybe adding one that uses air cooling. Since engine coolant runs about 190*-205* and even on a hot summer day in my area air temperature is usually 90*-100* and should allow a lot more cooling.

2016 Versa

Yesterday the weather was nice enough I was able to get out and take a look under the hood of the Versa. I found the dipstick tube but where it's located I doubt seriously there's a dipstick in it. It looks as though the radiator overflow bottle will have to come out just to get access to the plug that's in the tube. If I buy a dipstick for the older models to use I'll have to rig a way to remove it with the overflow bottle in place so I can check the fluid level. It's not that the dipstick tube is under the bottle just that there's not enough room to get you hand there to remove a dipstick.

Okisentra
Car: 2013 Nissan Sentra SL

I have a 2013 Sentra SL with 94,000km. It just recently started jerking and rpm moves up and down when accelerating or coming to a red light. Would a cvt transmission fluid change fix it? U'd the transmission dying? Any fix?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Depends if the problem is in the belt and pulleys or the planetary gear set. If it's the former then a fluid change may make a big difference, if it's the latter then the tranny is probably shot. I'd suggest using Eneos or AMSoil for the change, they're both better than NS3 at restoring traction on the belt. If the first change helps, do another one after a few hundred miles to void the bulk of the old fluid.

Okisentra

I just asked the Nissan dealership mechanic and they said, they don't recommend even changing the fluid as it might make it worse. Not sure if I agree with that and I don't want to take that risk.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Aargh, I get so frustrated with that BS. That's only true for conventional automatics. Your CVT is a metal-on-metal device, which means it's entirely dependent on the quality of the fluid to prevent metal from meeting metal. Furthermore, there's almost no clutch material in it to make "ATF soup" like a conventional tranny, so the risk of fresh fluid causing a fouled Valve Body is near zero. Whoever told you that was very likely a Service Advisor and not a tech, but either way, he or she is a nincompoop.

xman84
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa Note SV

Just did a fluid and filter change on a 2015 Note SV with 120k. Bought it used last winter and I'm slowly going through the regular maintenance work. Regarding the CVT fluid change, the car would shudder when I do a "California stop" . . .slow down to stop . . .roll through stop but upon accelerating, I would feel the drivetrain shudder, so I pull back on the gas momentarily and then depress the gas pedal to recover. Not having worked on a CVT before, I did my research and figured the oil needed replacing since I don't have a maintenance history to determine if the oil had EVER been replaced! (I'm in agreement with VStar's comment on this). This past weekend, I replaced the side filter as well as the pan filter and oil. The result? Much smoother ride! The shudder is no more! The only concerns I have at this point is if I refilled it to the correct amount. I replaced the same amount of new fluid with the amount I drained and did the "overflow tube check on a level surface" as described in other videos. The other concern is using a laser dot temp check versus the OBD computer on verifying the oil temp. I guess time will tell how well it goes. . .but for now. . .I'm pleased with the results!

Okisentra

xman84 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 6:09 pm
Just did a fluid and filter change on a 2015 Note SV with 120k. Bought it used last winter and I'm slowly going through the regular maintenance work. Regarding the CVT fluid change, the car would shudder when I do a "California stop" . . .slow down to stop . . .roll through stop but upon accelerating, I would feel the drivetrain shudder, so I pull back on the gas momentarily and then depress the gas pedal to recover. Not having worked on a CVT before, I did my research and figured the oil needed replacing since I don't have a maintenance history to determine if the oil had EVER been replaced! (I'm in agreement with VStar's comment on this). This past weekend, I replaced the side filter as well as the pan filter and oil. The result? Much smoother ride! The shudder is no more! The only concerns I have at this point is if I refilled it to the correct amount. I replaced the same amount of new fluid with the amount I drained and did the "overflow tube check on a level surface" as described in other videos. The other concern is using a laser dot temp check versus the OBD computer on verifying the oil temp. I guess time will tell how well it goes. . .but for now. . .I'm pleased with the results!
Please keep us posted

2019Versafan
Car: 2019 Versa S

Okisentra wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:14 pm
I just asked the Nissan dealership mechanic and they said, they don't recommend even changing the fluid as it might make it worse. Not sure if I agree with that and I don't want to take that risk.
This is not correct. The Versa owner's manual says every 30,000 miles. That's what I've done and I've had no issues. I also don't drive my car like a race car driver. Actually, my local Nissan dealership was after me to do it sooner, I personally think to get more money out of me but I'm sticking with the Nissan engineers recommendation. I do miss not having a transmission dip stick so that I can monitor the condition of the fluid myself. Obviously, if the fluid isn't pink in color, it should be changed.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

+1 on everything but the pink. NS2 is green and NS3 is turquoise. ;)

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”