Cuts in and out. Not sure what problem is

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Kdd1234
Car: 1997 Nissan Pickup Xe Extended Cab 2.4 liter, 5speed.

I recently bought a 1997 Nissan hardbody with 2.4 l 5speed. I’ve replaced the fuel pump,maf sensor (no name brand off eBay), upstream Bosch o2 sensor,water pump,thermostat,timing chain tensioner,timing chain guides,and sprocket bolted to cam, but NOT the timing chain itself. That’s all I can think of right now. Last few weeks the weather temps have been in the 90s. During that time the truck would start, and drive fine for about est.10 miles or so then would act like it just shut off then come back on and continue that way under throttle. If you continued to try to drive it that way it would just get worse and worse to where eventually you couldn’t keep the rpms high enough to attempt to continue driving and it would die. At one point I realized if I turned the key to off, then restarted it, it acted as if it reset itself and the problem would disappear at least long enough to make it back home. Since yesterday the weather temps have been mid 60s-70s. With the lower temps the problem begins as I pull away from my driveway. I’m new to the Nissan game, but I’m well versed in the Dodge game. I’ve read that the ignition coil is I guess built into the distributor? That is what I’m thinking might be the problem but not sure. I will also upload a video that shows me sitting in my driveway, holding full throttle, and you can hear and see the rpms go up and down up and down. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
https://youtu.be/fQ5g5WVexYw

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Might try checking for spark when the motor stops? The coil is located in the distributor. Experienced the same thing the engine dies and after sitting for a short period it starts and runs fine. Also try replacing the fuel filter. If you replace the distributor CAREFULLY mark it. I usually use a marker or a scribe and mark the front hold down bolt.so I don’t have to time the engine. Might want to check the cap rotor and coil wire. Check for fuel when the engine dies.

Kdd1234

Yeah I forgot to say right now it doesn’t have a fuel filter on it but I do have a fuel pressure gauge installed where the filter goes. It has normal pressure. I also forgot to mention I replaced the distributor cap n rotor. I’ll pull the cap probably tomorrow and check out any wiring I see under the cap. Does anyone know if the cheap distributors on eBay are worth it. eBay has them for $80 and advance auto has CARQUEST brand for $288. So I’m looking at probably months before I could afford the CARQUEST one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

whomadewho

The $80.00 over the pond distributors are manufactured by GOPHER. Buy one and shortly later GOPHER another one. If $$$$ is tight try purchasing a pre-owned OEM distributor on eBay.

whomadewho

If you purchase one online the 1997 pickup shouldn’t use a gear. Should use a shaft with a slot. I looked at eBay they have a rafter full of pre-owned ones.

whomadewho

When you install the distributor cap ALWAYS put anti seize on the sap hold down screws. I am going on 2 years with a pre-owned OEM distributor.

whomadewho

Cap hold down screws.

Kdd1234

Well it wasn’t the distributor cuz I bought a new one with all new electronics and cap n rotor with it. I did notice on the electrical harness plug around one of the pins has some black near it like something may have melted or it might have been black soot. Going to try to include pic of it.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0nNWVJa ... 90EfA#Home
https://share.icloud.com/photos/03byEiP ... F7H9g#Home

Kdd1234

Well it wasn’t the distributor cuz I bought a new one with all new electronics and cap n rotor with it. I did notice on the electrical harness plug around one of the pins has some black near it like something may have melted or it might have been black soot. Going to try to include pic of it.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0nNWVJa ... 90EfA#Home
https://share.icloud.com/photos/03byEiP ... F7H9g#Home

whomadewho

Try spraying the plug with a contact cleaner. Check the pin in question with a OHM meter,may have to have key on.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”