Cut weight.

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
85NIS720
Car: '85 Nissan 720

I'm trying to cut some weight on my 720. I've already replaced the bulky steel rear bumper with a roll pan and replaced the tailgate with a tailgate net, which cut out a pretty good chunk of weight. Any more ideas?

Oh, and here's a recent picture of my truck(I hope it works, I'm still a noob.)

And one with the net/roll pan. Still "under construction".

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

well this is my specialty lol

you can... remove bumper and tailgate... which you already did...

remove spare tire?

remove headlights and wipers along with wiper motor

also you can strip everything out of the engine bay except for the engine

and of course make your interior look like this

85NIS720

Thanks dude. Already removed spare tire, took out the wiper fluid reservoir, and probably about to take out a few more unnecessary items.

Project Trucker
Car: Datsun 720 pickup

i kinda got the same thing you guys got going on my tailgate was all messed up and bent, warped, twisted, rusted, and my friend messed it up even more so i got a tailgate net bully not pro net (pro net is to expensive for me lol only $10 bucks more) then i custom fabricated a piece that uses the original holes to screw in the net but i need to replace the wood with metal.

85NIS720

I originally ordered a Bully net, which was going to be like $20, but it was discontinued so they ordered the Pro Net which came out to be $30. It was a breeze to install and came with forged steel brackets, just needed to drill four holes in my bed.

Project Trucker

aye i needed to drill in holes in mine to but i didnt want to mess up so i just created a wood bracket it would have been ok the first time i installed it but my buddy named lance ruined that

85NIS720

Oh, haha. I'm OCD about a lot, so I took my time. I measured it all out and tapped then drilled. Lined up pretty good, just took a little adjusting. The excess strap hanging out bugs the heck outta me, I just haven't cut it yet.

Project Trucker

not only does the net allow me to not have a crappy looking tailgate it allows me to clean out more efficiently i put on about 2000 miles in the last couple of weeks between me and my friend hauling insulation, boards, dirt, rock, chicken crap, hay, straw, leaves, etc. ive been hauling alot and its hard to clean with a tailgate in the way and it gets harder to close the tailgate when there are rocks between it and the tailbed so i just took it off in ag class

PEZi

85NIS720 wrote: It was a breeze to install and came with forged steel brackets, just needed to drill four holes in my bed.
yup... exactly

85NIS720

Pezi - where'd you get those black blinkers and all?

PEZi

did 'em myself... VHT NightShades and some awesome painting skills my corner lights are the same as my paint... there's nothing inside of them

85NIS720

Haha, very nice. Any tips? I might try it myself.

PEZi

when you pull them out sand them with high grit paper (nothing that'll put in any deep scratches... just enough to get the surface scuffed) then clean it all up with M.E.K.

i spray from a distance... about 2ft away so that the coats are more even and thin... and then i don't need to do any wetsanding... it also has a matte clear but that was put on with an actual spray gun

Project Trucker

nice

guamsmith
Car: 1986 Nissan 720

Just curious that with your setup what was your 1/4 mile time? Also see pacesetter headers, anything else that you have done like CAM upgrade?

Thanks new to the forum and wanting more ideas?

PEZi

guamsmith wrote:Just curious that with your setup what was your 1/4 mile time? Also see pacesetter headers, anything else that you have done like CAM upgrade?

Thanks new to the forum and wanting more ideas?
never ran the quarter... someone with a similar setup to mine ran mid 18 or so... but i'm at altitude and wouldn't even expect to do that well...

i have the pacesetter header as well as a full custom exhaust with test pipe and resonator

its got a 'modified' intake... and other than that just all of the emissions controls are out

it currently has stock internals but will eventually be built with cam, a lot of head work, and high compression pistons... also will get EFI unless i come across some good weber race side drafts... overall it will be close to 13:1 compression and tons of fun

Return to “Datsun 720”