Customs documents vs State title. What's your preference?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
turboholic
Car: 1990 GT-R!!

Hello Guys,

I recently imported 2 R32 GTRs. I am planning to sell one of them. As a buyer would you prefer to have all the customs/importation documents and be the first to title the car. Or would you want a state title?

Thanks
Nick

sevenscars
Car: 1989 Skyline GTR

Import documents and be already state titled would be more attractive as they are easier to register in some states.

GSX-R35
Car: 2010 Black Obsidian TSM Pro Eight R35
1999 Midnight Purple 2 R34 V-spec
1990 Gun Metal Grey Nismo R32

Even if you decide to register the car first you should provide the buyer with copies of the import documents. From personal experience and talking with other owners around the country different state DMVs differ a lot on what documents they want in order to register a JDM import. It can even vary between branches of DMVs depending on the staff. Registering it first and having a state title may make it easier for the new owner but it may not if the DMV is anal - especially if you're talking about a Florida title since a lot of improperly imported cars get titled there. I know some states are tightening their scrutiny on title verification now so having the import documents as proof of proper import is very helpful.

Personally if I were buying a JDM import I'd prefer to be able to say I was the first US owner like in the case of my car. A friend of mine has imported six GT-Rs himself and leaves the decision to the buyer.

turboholic
Car: 1990 GT-R!!

Thanks for the input guys.

If a buyer was ok being the first to title the car then I can pass on the savings to the buyer.

And good to know that either way I should provide all import documents to the buyer.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”