Custom Turbo KA Gas Mileage

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
SHiFT

What kind of gas mileage are you turbo KA guys getting after the install? How about on the manufactured turbo kits?

silviaNE
Car: cars what else?

when horsepower is at stake, gas milliage is of no concern.

big jon's 240
Car: uh....football, cars, and um, cars!

silviaNE wrote:when horsepower is at stake, gas milliage is of no concern.
:Werd

SHiFT

So I'm guessing its horrible then..I am trying to compare the turbo KA to the SR in terms of gas mileage cause I'm in college and commute a lot around florida. Does anyone have any numbers and not statements beating around the bush?

:: orion ::
Car: '96 240SX, with KA-T @ 12psi...

Not horrible - I'd guess 16-18 when boosting, and my A/F is right at 10.8:1 at WOT - Sucks.

21-23 on the highway with moderate boosting.

It could be better than 20 around town if I stayed out of boost, but that never happens.

ALSO: Don't make the decision based on gas mileage - If you want more power, it will take more gas to get you there. Period. And gas mileage should be roughly the same, SR or KA, at the same power level. A 2.4liter KA at 8psi making 250rwhp or an SR at 12-14psi making 250rwhp will use about the same amount of gas.

Later - Brian

silviaNE

ditto orion. i just meant to say that when you want to have a car that that makes some decent hp, its going to eat gas a lot faster, it also depends on how well the car is tuned.

SHiFT

Cool guys, thanks. My decision is not based at gas mileage at all, I just want to know every angle I can before making final decisions. Orion I'm glad you replied. I go to UCF and my good friend Rob goes to UF up there with you. He has the Orange/Red 95 with a molded shogun body kit, I'm sure you know who he is. We've both been researching custom turbo kits and by far your setup should be commended, I think we'll try to follow yours pretty closely due to your great success. I read you got a front mount now too, thats awesome. Hopefully next fall I'll make it up there to hang out with you 240 guys in Gville so we can talk about it more and so I can see how your car performs. I used to want a SR like everyone else around but now I'm going for a custom turbo kit for the KA 1) because it performs better at that level(200-250 rwhp) and 2) its thousands cheaper and 3) cause my 97 SE only has 65K on it.

One more question too. I've read that you can keep stock injectors for a custom turbo kit...would this increase the gas mileage at all? Thanks.

silviaNE

you can keep stock injectors, but they will limit your horsepower goals considerably. stockers are 270cc and 2r20det are 370cc, you can usually get 270-280 hp out of the 370cc. You can usually find a cheap set on e-bay or theough engine importers. if your goal is only 175-200 hp then you could get by with the 270ccc, assuming they are in good working order.

SHiFT

so if I'm shooting for 220-240 rwhp then I'll need 370cc injectors I guess. My plan is to get a t3/t4 hybrid with a cheap intercooler and run no more than 7psi, that should put me around 240 or so if it gets tuned correctly, I don't want to stress the stock internals much more than that. On that note, whats a decent cheap intercooler to buy? My brother said a Saab one on ebay would work well, the MKII MR2-T intercoolers seem to work pretty well at that HP as well. Any suggestions?

silviaNE

i have heard some bad stories about the plastic/metal saab intercoolers, but an all metal sounds good. I would recomend a starion intercooler. You can allways find one on e-bay for less then $150. your plan sounds pretty good. With proper tuning, you should meet your goals.

AceInhole

My worst is 18mpg after a day of autocrossing (car was co-driven for a total of 12 runs @ about 80-90 seconds each run). My usual is around 22-23 MPG, and my max is 24.5.
:: orion :: wrote:A 2.4liter KA at 8psi making 250rwhp or an SR at 12-14psi making 250rwhp will use about the same amount of gas.

I'd have to wonder if the KA's higher compression gives it a slight advantage though.....

SHiFT

damn ace that is really good. Whats the reason for yours being like 4-6 mpg better than orions (assuming you both have the same driving habbits) ?

:: orion ::
Car: '96 240SX, with KA-T @ 12psi...

My A/F is 10.8:1 under boost = PIG RICH!!!!

And I boost a lot. Can't keep my foot off the 'loud pedal'...

So I'd guess it's driving habit.

Later

AceInhole

:: orion :: wrote:My A/F is 10.8:1 under boost = PIG RICH!!!!
Well, what was your mileage like before turbo'ing?? Mine was like 26- 27ish....

Quote »And I boost a lot. Can't keep my foot off the 'loud pedal'...

So I'd guess it's driving habit.

Later [/quote] Yeah... i tend to stay off boost unless it's absolutely necessary.... plus at least half of my miles are always highway.... so I've never done a straight city driven tank.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”