Custom Drivetrain

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
wytbishop

Hello everyone...

this is my first post, so please bear with me if I inadvertantly ask a stupid question. I am a nerdy engineer type and I'm in the VERY early stages of planning a custom build. Step 1 is choosing a powerplant and transmission combination that meets my design criteria.

They are:

1) Truly epic power must be possible. Not necessarily out of the box, but expandability must allow me to reach 400+hp.
2) I don't want to have to push the engine near it's reliable limits to acheive item #1.
3) It must be FWD.

The chassis I plan to build will be mid or rear engine and will be built around the engine/tranny combo I select so space and standard fitment issues will not apply. I simply need to find a combination of engine and transmission that will work together.

I was first attracted to the RB26 engine because well, 600+ would be a piece of cake, if not cheap, but I don't want to get into Porche gearboxes and adapters as that would easily push me over $12k just on drivetrain. I then looked at the SR20 GTiR options. That looks promising but I'm worried that the really big power might be too much for that engine in terms of reliability. Then I was led to the VG30.

Now here's where I potentially look stupid...the VG30E was used in the 92-94 Maxima SE with a FWD manual tranny. Will that tranny work with a VG30DETT? Do all the VG engines use the same block casting? The VG30DETT is easily capable of the power levels I want to run but can the Maxima tranny hold 400+?

Do you have any other suggestions for a strong reliable combination that I haven't thought of?

I really appreciate any help you can offer. The Nissan world is very complicated. I've been reading for a couple of days and I'm starting to confuse myself.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

I'm not well versed on the VG30's, but I can tell you that it's pretty common for little to change on the engine castings in the same engine series (ie, all VG series engines have basically the same block), so I would be suprised if it wouldn't work.

My question is, why don't you get the manual transmission from a later model maxima that had the VG30DE. Then it would be highly unlikely that the transmission wouldn't bolt up.

wytbishop

Thanks for your reply.

That's exactly why I asked about the 92-94 Maxima SE. If that bolts up and would hold some big power it would be a pretty good option for me.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

The maxi vg30 block is differnt from the vg30dett in a lot of ways.try to explain what you are trying to build. From your post it sounds like you're trying build a kit car,or close to it.

wytbishop

Not a kit exactly. I am designing a space frame. The design of the rear subframe will be dictated by the engine/trans combination I choose. The VG30DETT has the size and shape I want as well as the power potential. I just need to know if the Maxima gearbox will bolt up. Which starter will I have to use? Will the VG30DETT clutch work with the Maxima box? Things like that. Space is not a concern.

My alternative is to adapt a Posche G50 and mount everything longitudinally which will make the rear end much longer and WAAAAAAY more expensive.

jbracy7

The maxi trans. Will not bolt right up,but there is hope all you need is a adapter plate,about a1/2 inch will do.drill and tap holes to match the maxi trans,then do the same for the vg30dett side of the adapter, make sure u countersink the bolts to the maxi trans then bolt it all up,there are more steps to this, but learning is fun part.have fun.

P.s. I ment to say 1/2 inch steel plate :bigthumb:

wytbishop

I have thought about that. I imagine it would be worth the money to at least look into it. Do you know what sort of HP the maxi trans is capable of withstanding?

jbracy7

The same as the n/a 300zx close to 400 with out riping apart,if its rebuilt the right way.there's even a 5speed maxi out there but it's rare,so it might take some digging to find one

wytbishop

What year maxima should I be looking for? The 92-94' SE had the VG engine and there's one available a couple hours from me, but would I be better off with something newer that came off a VQ?...since I'm going to have to adapt it to fit anyway.

jbracy7

Try to match yrs as close as posible search on this site for more info

wytbishop

when I ask if I would be better off with something newer I'm trying to determine if one Maxi trans is stronger that another.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”