Custom Audio Install Questions for the 2013/ 2014 Altima

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
rytymu
Car: 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Hey guys! This is my first post to the forums here, so let's get on to the details... I'm looking at a 2014 Altima S, and if I pull the trigger I'm really eager to get the factory radio as far away from the car as possible. :chuckle: With that said, I have a few specific questions on some custom install jobs:

1- I already have a custom built sub woofer enclosure in the trunk of my 2012 Altima. Will this still be fitted properly for the '14, or will I be looking for another one?

2- With a new head unit (along with a steering wheel adapter kit), have any of you got ALL of the steering wheel buttons to be programmed correctly? Specifically, I'm curious to know if the answer and hang up buttons can be programmed (A.K.A. "on hook" & "off hook"). In my 2012, my installer tried twice to get these buttons to work, but couldn't get them to go. The volume & skip tracks work great, but not these two (yes, the head unit supports these functions, as does the AXXESS adapter). Also, what steering wheel adapters do you guys use? I want to avoid any lag or other complications.

3- I will probably install new door & deck lid speakers. Any tips or things to avoid (speaker size, needed spacers, etc.)?

4- I am interested in doing remote start. I know things can get a little dicey with the "intelligent key", but I did some research and found that the CAN-sl2 bypass works well. Is this still the case for the 2013 / 2014 model?

5- With the new head unit, I would like to do an aftermarket backup camera. Can I use the OEM camera mount for this? On the trunk there appears to be a trim piece, on the bottom of the chrome plate near the trunk release button (on the "S" model), where the camera is normally located on the "SV" model (which has a OEM camera). Has anyone done this, or is there a better, cleaner looking way?

6- Where is the best place to hide a 5 channel amp?

Thanks guys, I look forward to your insight!

pk386

if you want to do an aftermarket radio make sure you get the base or mid level audio system. Avoid the BOSE like the plauge.

1) Yes, the 2013+ has tons of room in the trunk.

2)Your older SW button adapters are not going to work there is now 3 wires for the SW signals instead of two.
See P. 314 of the service manual:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2013%20Altima/AV.pdf

The SW controls are now interpreted by the gauge cluster and sent to the radio via CAN bus.
PAC does have a CAN bus adapter but its not compatible with the 2013+ altima.
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails ... egoryID=29

3) 2" or 3" in the dash. 6.5" in all 4 doors and 6"x9" in the rear deck

4) Remote start is a Factory option. Do your self a favor and just spring for the remote start option. You DO NOT want to fool with an aftermarket alarm in this car.

5) Not sure... about retrofitting an aftermarket in to the stock mount.

6) Plenty of places. The rear deck, rear 60% seat.

IMHO Listen to the stock radio packages. They sound really good to be factory and the 2013+ will connect via bluetooth to your phone even with the base radio. Mid level and up offers USB inputs. (I am a car audio junky and I like the factory sound system in this car.)

If you still need bump in the trunk use a speaker level inputs from the rear 6x9s for the sub amp.

hlouiesj
Car: 2014 Altima sedan

I've just purchased a new 2014 Altima sedan. I've just four speakers installed in the car. That is the standard package that came with this particular model. But the AM/FM/CD audio system come with a control for fading the sound to the rear speakers, but I don't have rear side panel speakers. There is a rear speaker panel on each rear door for the speakers. It is correct to assume that there are speaker wires already routed to these speaker panel? Also how best to remove the side rear door panel properly to get to installing the speaker. Thanks in advance for any help. I am under the impression that there is a front sub woofer installed on the front dash board. I've thought there was sounds coming from it. I could be wrong here.

pk386

It is correct to assume that there are speaker wires already routed to these speaker panel?"
I think there is but I haven't had a chance to confirm. however if there are wires for the rear door speakers it doesn't mean that there is an amp to power them.

Also how best to remove the side rear door panel properly to get to installing the speaker.
I've never taken a Rear door panel off but check P.18 of the interior service manual
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Altima/2013 ... ma/INT.pdf
I am under the impression that there is a front sub woofer installed on the front dash board. I've thought there was sounds coming from it. I could be wrong here.
No Sub in the front dash.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”