Curb and top down = dented panel

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
TransformerTop
Car: 2009 G37 C - Premium, Nav, African Rosewood, Kickplates and Splash Guards

My buddy took my car last week and took a corner to sharp and the back wheel rode up on the side of the curb. The tire then slipped off the curb and then thud the back end of course hit the ground. When he got home the middle panel was dented on both sides from coming in contact with the guides on the lower panel.

I took it in to the dealer and they said it was from stopping the top mid stream. I know that is not the case and I think they do as well. They fixed the panel at no charge. Honestly I think Infiniti knows of this issue. Either the bottom panel came up and struck the middle panel or vise versa. The dents line up perfectly with the black guides sticking up on the lower panel. The dent was worse on the side that rode up on the curb as well.

I personally do not ride off a curb to often. However, this is a real world situation that the top should be able to handle without needing body work afterwards.

xtrema

Pics?

TransformerTop
Car: 2009 G37 C - Premium, Nav, African Rosewood, Kickplates and Splash Guards

Sorry no pics.

The dealer immediately grabbed the car threw me in a loaner and began the process of repairing it. I didn't even have to sign anything when picking it up. So, I'm not sure who payed to have it fixed (dealer or Infiniti). Regardless, I find the service incredible.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

WOW that sux. Any curb rash on the rim?

So the top was down and impact of the car coming off the curb caused enough of a jolt to dent the roof while folded inside itself?

Sounds like a design defect to me.

If possible, can you post a picture & highlight the area that was damaged.Thanks & glad there was no bodily injury.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Well I can see that happening. Since the top is its strongest when in locked position. When its folded down and stored it is suceptible to damage from the relatively violent jolts from turning forces and Y/X axis thrashing. By design, the collapsed rigidity would be higher in pitch than roll, since the operational mechanisms are longitudinally mounted and work that way. Its just good you got it fixed so quickly and trouble free!

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”