cup holders not working out for me

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
greasefingers
Car: 2008 G37 Coupe
Journey

Ok am I crazy or what? I am having a difficult time driving and drinking coffee. From the photo one can see that there is nothing to stop my coffee cup from sliding side to side. I turn left and the cup sides away from me to the passenger position. I turn right and it slides back to my side. Is something missing from my cup holder set-up? It is a used vehicle so someone could have messed with it prior to me purchasing. I am spilling coffee on my ride.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Infiniti just doesn't know how to design cup holders... In my G35. I had 2 water bottle holders, 2 center cup holders. 1 oversized holder in the center arm rest and 2 more cup holders in the rear. All for a car that barely fits 4 people in it (volume and gross weight load both limit it). You could wedge a piece of that soft foam stuff (kind of like neoprene) in between the two sides...

Johnny6Speed
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan 6MT

My cupholders don't have that sliding from side to side problem, but they are rather skimpy. Good thing I don't buy 44 oz slurpies! Cupholders are pretty much my only complaint about my car. For some reason I didn't take them into consideration when I bought the car. :chuckle:

greasefingers
Journey

infiniti_lineup wrote:Someone removed/broke the cup holder wedge part from your G37. Here is an image of the cup holder with the wedge piece intact:

Unfortunately, Infiniti does not provide the wedge part alone for sale and you'll have to purchase the entire cup holder assembly. If you're interested in doing so, the corresponding part number is 68430-JL00A and can be purchased from InfinitiPartsUSA.com, a NICOclub sponsor.
That’s what I am interested in!!! Thanks for that. I will investigate the cost verses spill crisis.

timmy0257
Car: 08 Infiniti G35 Journey 5AT
-R2C Intake
-interior LEDs w/ tag lights
-SBD grounding kit
-TBW engine cover
-Eibach Pro-kit
-JL Audio

Future Mods include GT-Spec strut bar & more.

i dont drink and drive so I dont have that problem.

it may be hard to find that part, but that is def. your problem.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Even with that, you can still get spills....not a very good design IMO.

greasefingers
Journey

Yea and my coffee cup is ceramic so it is more slippery than plastic/rubber ones. I think I will fabricate something to divide them two compartments. And thanks for everyones help!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

greasefingers wrote:Ok am I crazy or what? I am having a difficult time driving and drinking coffee. From the photo one can see that there is nothing to stop my coffee cup from sliding side to side. I turn left and the cup sides away from me to the passenger position. I turn right and it slides back to my side. Is something missing from my cup holder set-up? It is a used vehicle so someone could have messed with it prior to me purchasing. I am spilling coffee on my ride.
Here is my solution to drinking and driving.

My neighbor had the wooden holder for my Dunkin Donuts coffee mug made in the high school where he worked. He got the wood shop teacher to make this for me.
It needs a paint job but the old towel on the seat takes a few coffee stains but this has worked well for me for over twenty five years. Doesn't look so great but it works for me. I drive 100 miles per day and only use it on the way to work in the morning.
I do not have to take my eyes off the road to set the mug down in the holder.
My neighbor just passed away 2 weeks ago.

Telcoman
Last edited by telcoman on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

370Z/28
Car: 370Z & Z28 *SOLD*
'13 Lexus IS250C F-Sport

It might be hard to find just the right thing, but if you could find something to fill that area it would keep it from sliding. Some kind of a NERF ball or bean bag or something.

I always have a 32oz Sonic Tea in my cupholder. Once they brought me a Route 44 by mistake. First sharp right I took and over it came. It is a sucky cup holder. I have learned to kind of hold it in sharp corners.

I wonder how the heck someone broke that little spring loaded dealy?? It is amazing to me what some people can do to a vehicle.

timmy0257
Car: 08 Infiniti G35 Journey 5AT
-R2C Intake
-interior LEDs w/ tag lights
-SBD grounding kit
-TBW engine cover
-Eibach Pro-kit
-JL Audio

Future Mods include GT-Spec strut bar & more.

telcoman wrote:
greasefingers wrote:Ok am I crazy or what? I am having a difficult time driving and drinking coffee. From the photo one can see that there is nothing to stop my coffee cup from sliding side to side. I turn left and the cup sides away from me to the passenger position. I turn right and it slides back to my side. Is something missing from my cup holder set-up? It is a used vehicle so someone could have messed with it prior to me purchasing. I am spilling coffee on my ride.
Here is my solution to drinking and driving.

My neighbor had the wooden holder for my Dunkin Donuts coffee mug made in the high school where he worked. He got the wood shop teacher to make this for me.
It needs a paint job but the old towel on the seat takes a few coffee stains but this has worked well for me for over twenty five years. Doesn't look so great but it works for me. I drive 100 miles per day and only use it on the way to work in the morning.
I do not have to take my eyes off the road to set the mug down in the holder.
My neighbor just passed away 2 weeks ago.

Telcoman
now this is quite interesting.

RIP neighbor

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

Our second 05 Sedan had a missing spring in the part that you are missing.
I went to Infiniti to get a replacement, but they only sold the whole thing and it was waaay more than what it was worth. They actually had some broken ones in the back. Only problem with them, was the spring was missing/broken.

So, if you can sweet talk the parts man to give you one that they have with the broken spring, all you need is the spring. While you are there, look at a new/used car to see what the spring looks like on a working model.

I took a spring out of a ball point pen. Straighten a couple of loops at both end and used it.
It was working strong when I traded it. I fixed the 'broken' one they gave me and have it as a spare for my 04 coupe.

Amays U G37S
Car: shoes

Frankly, I don't have a problem with the cup holder.

However, I usually drink from bottles, or strofoam cups with lids and a straw.

Try a different container as Telcoman has, something that'll sit in the cup holder fine.

You can purchase a thermal cup from your favorite drinking spot that they can fill up for you each visit with no problem.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

They come up on ebay from time to time for $40 bux or so. Mines broken too but I have a hard time paying even that much for a part that costs about a dime to make.

mdglaw
Car: 2010 G37 coupe

Trust me it beats the BMW design. However, you can buy a rubberized fabric which is supposed to prevent things from sliding. I use it for a few things and it works pretty good, also pretty cheap. When it gets grungy you throw it out.
Mike

greasefingers
Journey

mdglaw wrote:Trust me it beats the BMW design. However, you can buy a rubberized fabric which is supposed to prevent things from sliding. I use it for a few things and it works pretty good, also pretty cheap. When it gets grungy you throw it out.
Mike
You just got my brain thinking again. I have lots of left over rubberized material from lining my kitchen drawers. I will try that on the bottom but I will also concentrate on some mechanism from separation.

370Z/28
'13 Lexus IS250C F-Sport

Wow...that is a good idea! Protect from sliding, scratches and preventing any squeeks or rattles. I'm going to do that. Wonder if that stuff comes in black?

greasefingers
Journey

I found this stuff at work today.

Amays U G37S
Car: shoes

Lets see what you come up with man!!!!!

More pics and Ingenuity!!!!!!!!!!

370Z/28
'13 Lexus IS250C F-Sport

Oh yeah...now that's what I'm talking about. Send us all a 5x10" piece.

:naughty:

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

08.black.G37 wrote:Oh yeah...now that's what I'm talking about. Send us all a 5x10" piece.

:naughty:
Can I have a piece also?

tfree32

The cupholder design is ridiculous. It doesn't hold one drink well as it slides around and it can't really fit two. It's odd that so much thought seems to have been given to virtually every other part of the vehicle and they used this weak-a** design for the cupholder. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket drink holder unit that would fit in the same space and actually do the intended job? I lvoe my G, but Infiniti really needs to learn to design drink holders.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

infiniti_lineup wrote:You guys should have purchased an Infiniti M! :crybaby
The M is more luxury than sport...happy with my G :dblthumb:

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

I'm fine with the cup holder, I buy man size drinks.

SleepyMonkey
Car: '08 G37S 6MT

biggie wrote:I'm fine with the cup holder, I buy man size drinks.
wtf? It's too small - it won't even hold a friggin' cup. who drinks coffee out of a shot glass?

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

joe603 wrote:
infiniti_lineup wrote:You guys should have purchased an Infiniti M! :crybaby
The M is more luxury than sport...happy with my G :dblthumb:
:iws:
Wife wanted the M. Loved riding in it, but much prefer the drive of the G! :mike

I really haven't had much problems with the cup holder....you just need to find cups that fit.

NativeLasVegan
Car: 2009 G37 Coupe

I have a 2009 G37 coupe & take my morning coffee seriously. My standard to go cup, with lid, tips side to side even with the plastic divider. I have tried several different cups only to encounter the same issue. Forget having two cups as there isn't room, even for two small cups. I can not imagine why Infiniti would overlook a basic convenience factor.

Fezzik
Car: 2010 G37 Vert w/ stage 1 GTM supercharger

The part that pops up to grab the cup doesnt really grab the cup very well. Something i've done on someone elses G37 is to put a piece of black rubber tubing on the pop up piece and it grabs teh cup well enough to keep it from sliding.

Daniel G
Car: '05 Infiniti G35

None of these issues whatsoever on my 2005 G35. Best of luck for all who are having this problem, though. A quick trip to your arts and crafts store might provide some ideas to solving this problem.

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

I don't have a problem with mine. Sure you can't fit well 2 large ones(medium in states). But I am lucky my wife doesn't like to drink anything in the car I've got all the spaces.

:chuckle:

greasefingers
Journey

My current solution is to place two travel tissue bags in the empty space. I guess if I spill my coffee or need to blow my nose; I got it covered.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”