Cube Reprise

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
dmuramoto
Car: 350Z street, 350Z GT3 and T3 racecars, Versa HB and Infiniti G37xS sedan

It's been a few months since I drove the Nissan Cube at the Nissan press intro in Miami. But this week, I'm sampling a Bitter Chocolate (think dark brown metallic) Cube 1.8 S model. Interestingly enough, this one has a six-speed manual tranny so it's an odd duck (as if the Cube could ever be called odd). It's the car designed for the quintessential non-enthusiast, but one that I can still heel-toe and rev match with.

Besides having three pedals, the Cube itself impresses from the sheer amount of outward visability you have. The short, stubby nose virtually disappears forward, while the HUGE sideview mirrors allow you to see the sides easily. Combine that with a ton of glass and the Cube's asymmetric rear styling and you have a great view all 'round. The seating position and hip point allows you to sit up high. No bumping your head while getting in or out of this puppy! Starting it up, the first thing to appreciate is how readily all the controls fall to hand. No fumbling around trying to find the wipers, lights or HVAC controls. Be it Cube or GT-R, Nissan has been consistent in providing well-integrated control interfaces.

OK, so the gearshift lever is a little low for my taste, but hey, I'd like a WRC style sequential shifter for my grocery getter! The 1.8 engine moves out well and I had no problems getting around the urban neighboorhoods in and around my hometown of Denver. FWD handling is a bit 'tippy', but you'll run into terminal understeer long before anything too radical happens. Tire squeal is readily present if I even think about spirited driving and crosswinds can also affect the Cube on the highway.

But inside, quirky features like a small circle of shag carpeting on the dash, LED gas and temp gauges and circles within circles for the headliner make the Cube entertaining. But it's hard to ignore the hard plastics used on the IP and interior panels. But optional colored footwell lights and and pretty good stereo keep things on a whimsical level. It actually made me laugh a couple of times! There's a TON of interior space and people who don't care that it looks like a shuttle pod from Star Trek can have a party inside. Gas ileage looks pretty good, especially compared to my VQ35DE in my 350Z.

In fact, the Cube is about as different from my Z as you can get. But I still recognize the same solid engineering behind both vehicles. It makes me think that someone, somewhere is going to think the Cube is just what they want from a car. And that fits the rationale for offering a comprehensive line of vehicles: a Nissan that is perfect for who we are and what we need.

dmuramoto

Here's a First Takes bonus: how to shift into reverse with the Cube or any of the newer Global B-platform Nissans with manual six-speed trannys. There's a "trick" with these gearboxes that might have you scratching your head. To engage reverse, look (and feel) for the small plastic collar just below the shift knob itself. It's black and almost looks like part of the knob itself, but has two ridges formed around it. With a little practice, you can use the index and middle fingers of your right hand to reach down and squeeze the ring UP to release the lockout before engaging reverse. Reverse is to the LEFT and UP (next to first gear) and this type of lockout really makes sure you won't catch reverse instead of first by mistake. I like it--unless the collar is released, you'll never FIND reverse gear!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I understand the positioning with the cube being direct competition to the Scion (which seems to get bigger each year) and other similar-styled alternatives. If quirky and different is what you are looking for then it's got it in spades.

dmuramoto

^Don't forget about new products like the Kia Soul as examples of a growing class of 'anti-cars'. I think the Cube competes well with all of them, but most people don't know that Nissan pioneered this niche back with the original first gen Cube in Japan.

Quicky and different also equates to fun and versatile. I went shopping today and have to admit, the Cube was easier to load and park than usual. The light show (with changing colors in the footwell and blue kick plates) when you get in is still entertaining at night and I'm enjoying driving it.

dmuramoto

Cube goes back to the press fleet tomorrow. While it's not my car of choice, it certainly offers some packaging advantages, fun features and with FWD, got around in todays Colorado snowstorm easily enough.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

From a "small car that looks like a square box" perspective I think the Austin Mini had a jump on the Cube

dmuramoto

You're right about the Mini being the first 'two box' styling within a transverse FWD package. But the original Nissan Cube was a variation on that theme and like many Japanese creations, unique unto itself. It started a new market niche in Japan and this new Cube looks like it'll find an audience in crowded urban areas worldwide.

Return to “Cube Forum”