Crush washer on oil drain plug

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
joven
Car: 2008 Versa 1.8 S MT

I changed the oil for the first time this afternoon. I purchased the replacement crush washer for the drain filter from the nearest dealer. The washer by the way is a strange beast. Either way, when I removed the drain plug, I could not get the original crush washer off the plug. Has anyone else seen this? Should I just replace the plug altogether? Do you think they over torqued the plug to begin with?

Andy

aleckz
Car: Versa

With Hondas they require dikes to cut off the crush washer.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

aleckz wrote:With Hondas they require dikes to cut off the crush washer.
Not sure I want to invite one of those over to help. What happened to good old heterosexual cars.

bigdog
Car: 2007 versa s 2007 xterra 1982 dodge truck

I myself have never having to change the drainplug washer when ever chainging oil in a car

CodeRed
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S MT

You really only need to change it if your having a leak.

scooterbob
Car: 2008 Versa, 1995 200sx

fjwagner wrote:
Not sure I want to invite one of those over to help. What happened to good old heterosexual cars.
That's some funny Shat! LMAO!

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

joven wrote:I changed the oil for the first time this afternoon. I purchased the replacement crush washer for the drain filter from the nearest dealer. The washer by the way is a strange beast. Either way, when I removed the drain plug, I could not get the original crush washer off the plug. Has anyone else seen this? Should I just replace the plug altogether? Do you think they over torqued the plug to begin with?

Andy
You are right in saying it is a strange washer. It definitely crushes down to about a third of it's original thickness when you tighten it up. I have replaced the washer each time I have changed my oil. I spoke with the oil change dude at the Nissan dealership and he says he changes them every time. Believe that if you want to.

Now to your question. It is somewhat difficult to get the crush washer off of the bolt. Once you get it started it comes off pretty easy, the trick is getting it away from the bottom of the head of the bolt. I have used a pocket knife to sort of pry it. I have also used a needle nose pliers to grab it, and then pull on it and/or unthread it a bit, then it comes off pretty easy.

I am not sure what is worse, the ackward position of the oil filter, or getting the old crush washer off of the bolt.

Is it necessary to change the crush washer every time? I don't change them on my Toyotas or my Honda (when I owned Hondas). But their crush washers don't crush, they are just an ordinary looking washer. It is a real good bet that oil change shops (Wal Marts, Jiffy Lubes, etc.) don't change them ever.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”