Creaking steeering wheel

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I'm getting a very light creaking plastic type sound when I turn the steering wheel, its 100% coming from inside around the steering column.

Its not loud and at times you hear nothing but at times you can hear it, I suspect when its colder I hear it, and being how I am it kinda bugs me.

Its definitely a plastic type sound, like a rub of plastic.

I don't think I hear it when its nice and warm, its like the plastic softens and in the cold the plastic is stiffer and it creaks.

Is this gonna be louder in winter when its freezing.

ahhbeebee
Car: '08 Rogue SL FWD - Pearl White

I've got it too. Not in decent weather (> 5 degrees Celcius), but it was really acting up later last Winter. The creaking sound was only apparent when the steering wheel was turned 70% or more in either direction.

I think I'm just gonna live with it.

Couz

I really hear it when I turn the steering wheel from a complete stop, meaning when I make a turn from a stop sign.

So yeah, that's turning the steering a lot more than say taking a turn while in motion and the momentum doesn't require a hard turn like from a stop.

I think I can live with it as its not loud and only audible with no radio on, I mean only a person like me would even notice it but I'm just wondering if it'll get bad in winter because like I said today was a little chilli and it came out.

I hate cabine plastic creaking and squeeking, I had Hondas and it drove me nuts, so this better not get louder.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I've got this problem too, my dealer tried 3 times to fix it. Basically just replacing parts hoping the noise would go away 1) spiral cable 2) steering wheel 3) driver's air bag. The noise still remains, and I hate to say it but in winter it is significantly worse, on warm days I don't notice it. I don't think it's an indicator of a serious problem so i dont' worry about it, but it is a little annoying. If anyone has this fixed please report on what the solution was!

Elton Noway
Car: 2009 Rogue SL FWD Phantom White Black Cloth

Couz wrote:I'm getting a very light creaking plastic type sound when I turn the steering wheel, its 100% coming from inside around the steering column.

Its not loud and at times you hear nothing but at times you can hear it, I suspect when its colder I hear it, and being how I am it kinda bugs me.

Its definitely a plastic type sound, like a rub of plastic.

I don't think I hear it when its nice and warm, its like the plastic softens and in the cold the plastic is stiffer and it creaks.

Is this gonna be louder in winter when its freezing.
Well... I'm afraid I hear it too... but in my case its definitely not associated with cold weather! I live in the Southeast and last week it was 80F in the shade. For me... it's a dry scrapping, plastic on plastic sound. I took delivery of the car in warm weather and its been warm everyday since so I can't speak to the cold. My fear is when it does get cold and the plastic will get stiff, the sound will resonate higher... and thus generate the squeak you are describing. I'm thinking a wire tie or wire harness shield internal to the steering assembly is dragging against the steering column. It bugs me to hear such a sound considering its still a new car (only 260 miles on it.) But... I'm hoping it will wear itself out eventually. (My luck it will wear thru a wiring harness and short out every electrical system in the car!)

Anyway... the sound it present almost all the time when turning . I actually notice it more when I'm backing into parking spaces or backing out of the garage and turning the wheel to navigate down the driveway. I figure its because I'm going slower and there's no engine or road noise to mask the scrapping sound. It seems to be more noticeable when turning to the left. It also doesn't require a drastic turning maneuver... I can even hear it when turning the wheel as little as a 1/4 turn.

That said... if this is the most serious issue I'll have in the life of this car... I'll be a happy camper!

Couz

Elton,

My car is two months old and I've been hearing it on and off since I got it too,definitely when reversing and turning also.

I too attributed it to a brand new car sound, just plastic needing to break in or something.

Maybe I don't hear it when its hot cause I have my windows down but today was rainy and chilly and I was hearing it.

I get -20 degree weather here in winter and if it gets really bad in that cold weather its gonna annoy the hell out of me....I can just feel or picture whatever that plastic is stiffening by cold weather and making that annoying sound.

I can tolerate it now but we'll see this winter how bad it is as Kerrton says.

Anyways, my first servicing I'm gonna bring that up with a couple of other little issues that annoy me considering its brand spanking new car.

Elton Noway

Couz wrote:Elton, My car is two months old and I've been hearing it on and off since I got it too,definitely when reversing and turning also.

I too attributed it to a brand new car sound, just plastic needing to break in or something.

Anyways, my first servicing I'm gonna bring that up with a couple of other little issues that annoy me considering its brand spanking new car.
Howdy Couz....Well... its not looking good. I just stumbled across another thread in the Rogue forum discussing the same issue! We might be in for a struggle. Based on the three of us having the problem... plus what you can read from another member in this link... I'm guessing its a known problem with the Rogue.

zer...epair

kerrton

Guys I don't think it's anything to really worry about, just tell your service department to fix it on warranty, no big deal!!

I know this hasn't worked for me, but I attribute that to the tech just having bad luck or lack of experience with this one, you could have better luck. And if they're a good service department they won't have a problem working on this until the problem is solved. I'm going to give my shop another chance to fix this, and they are more than happy to give it a try!! And I disagree that this is a "known problem". If it was, there would be a known solution or workaround, and that other thread that you referenced was my thread, I just outlined the same thing that I did in this thread.......not to worry, they'll fix it!!

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I don't know if we had the exact same issue as others in this thread but we definitely had a sort of "creaking" sound from the steering wheel when turning. I wouldn't describe it as "plastic-sounding" but anyway... Our particular issue turned out to be a dislodged rubber gasket/seal of some sort that was replaced or reseated under warranty. Wish I could be more specific but the SO was the one who had the service department look at it.

sydenhamrogue

I just picked up my Rogue SL AWD this morning (woot!!!!!!) and while the sales rep was going over the car with us he actually mentioned that we may hear a creaking sound from the steering wheel column. He said it was caused by debris getting caught between the magnets used to differentiate between all of the controllers on the column. The important thing is that this is something that they are very much aware of and he said to bring it in if it happens...under warranty of course.

Elton Noway

kerrton wrote:Guys I don't think it's anything to really worry about, just tell your service department to fix it on warranty, no big deal!!

And I disagree that this is a "known problem". If it was, there would be a known solution or workaround, and that other thread that you referenced was my thread, I just outlined the same thing that I did in this thread.......not to worry, they'll fix it!!
Hi kerrton, When I stated its probably a "known problem" I was basing it on the fact that four of us alone in this forum have described the same issue. I wasn't trying to suggest that Nissan wouldn't fix it or even that it was serious... just that it Nissan has to know its a consumer complaint (i.e., problem). I live my the adage "One is a Trend!" Maybe instead of calling it a problem I should have said, "It's a known issue."

However... based on the below comments from sydenhamrogue... since the Nissan sales rep actually mentioned the noise to him "at the time of purchase" then I'd have to say it's a definitely a known problem.
sydenhamrogue wrote:I just picked up my Rogue SL AWD this morning (woot!!!!!!) and while the sales rep was going over the car with us he actually mentioned that we may hear a creaking sound from the steering wheel column. He said it was caused by debris getting caught between the magnets used to differentiate between all of the controllers on the column. The important thing is that this is something that they are very much aware of and he said to bring it in if it happens...under warranty of course.
Maybe its not a problem to us the consumer from a "mechanical" standpoint... however if I take my car to the service department over and over complaining about a squeaky steering column... then from Nissans perspective... a consumer complaint is a problem.

NET: It would appear that enough customers worldwide have complained about the steering column noise that it is now being brought the customers attention at time of purchase! Thus... (possibly to save Nissan from the expense of tearing down hundreds, if not thousands of steering columns)... they simply tell the customer at time of purchase they are very much aware of the issue and offer some nonsense excuse about debris between caught between controller magnets.

Considering my Rogue came off the transport truck and I had to wait for the dealership to remove the plastic protection film Nissan applied at the factory... (both exterior and interior) how dirty could it be? How much debris could have entered a sealed car and got into the magnets during transport from the factory to the dealership? Considering I heard the scrapping sound as I was backing out of the dealership lot in a brand new car fresh off the truck... I don't think its a debris issue... but a known problem Nissan is aware of. I still think its a wiring bundle, protective covering, shield, wire tie or something installed in the column at the time of manufacture dragging on the sterering shaft. If I had to guess Nissan has probably already fixed what was causing the noise (modified the problem area in the steering column) on all models now coming off the assembly line)... if not totally redesigned the problem area for the 2010 models.

kerrton

Ok, no argument about all that, but the bottom line is, have you or do you plan to take it to the dealer to have the problem fixed??

I tried 3 times, they gave it a valiant effort each time to no avail, and I'll try for a 4th time but if somebody discovers the solution I'd sure like to have it as a suggestion the next time they attempt another repair....

Elton Noway

kerrton wrote:Ok, no argument about all that, but the bottom line is, have you or do you plan to take it to the dealer to have the problem fixed??
I haven't yet. Actually, I probably won't take it in specifically for that one problem but I will mention it on my next visit to the service department so I have it on record. I'll also make a point of mentioning it on every visit just to make sure they get the message. I figure eventually Nissan will release a TSB (technical service bullitin) outlining the problem and the fix.

Whats really disappointing about this whole situation is Nissan had the same problem with their 2007-2008 Altimas. You would think they would have leaned from thir lesson.

TSB Number:08015 NHTSA Number:10024076 TSB Date:March 27, 2008 Failing Component: Steering:Wheel And Handle Bar Summary: 2007 - 2008 Altima; scraping noise from steering wheel. Updated 4/2/08.
kerrton wrote:I tried 3 times, they gave it a valiant effort each time to no avail, and I'll try for a 4th time but if somebody discovers the solution I'd sure like to have it as a suggestion the next time they attempt another repair....
My only suggestion might be to mention to them that another Rogue owner on the Nico forum was told by his dealership there is a issue with debris in the magnets etc. If nothing else at least it will give them a place to start.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

I'd be willing to bet the problem is with your clock spring mechanism. This is the component that connects the electrical inputs (i.e., cruise control, audio controls, bluetooth, horn, airbag, etc.) between the steering wheel and the steering column at the pivot point. Generally, a slight creaking sound will occur when you turn the steering wheel, and it does not necessarily indicate a broken part.

If it really bothers you, and you're under warranty, then tell your service center that the clock spring in your steering column is noisy and you want it fixed. Be forewarned, however, the the noise will probably come back within a few months.

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

I owned a 2002 Mazda Tribute that suffered this same creaking steering as you all describe. Eventually the fix was spraying lithium lubricant around the rubber gasket that sealed the column surround passing into the firewall. I had to do it about every 10,000 miles. This was a hot topic on the forum until someone finally figured it out.

May totally not be the fix to the Rogue problem, but just a suggestion. YMMV.

Ray

kerrton

Anyone with this problem actually get a successful repair? Nissan has tried 3 times to repair this (as I detailed above several months back), but the squeek/creak noise is still there when I turn the wheel, and is much worse when the temperature is cool, the noise pretty much disappears when it's hot outside.

I'm going to mention it to them again, but I was wondering if anyone may have an idea of what the solution is? Thanks.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Ours was fixed per my post above. No problems since then. Checked our service documents but couldn't find one that covered this. Sorry.
Modified by takeshi at 7:42 PM 10/7/2009

sileung

I'm experiencing this problem as well but it sounds more like gears turning rather than creaking. The sound is very quiet but loud enough for me to hear when the music is turned down.

From what I understand, the steering mechanism in the rogue is electronic and I think that's what's making the noises.

The steering still feels fine, but I'm just a bit concerned with the noise it makes

Grimy
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD premium

I had mine "re-lubed" when I was getting my oil changed and that did the trick....for about 8 weeks. Then that noise was back once again! I had my wife take it in and they claimed it the was transmission!!! I now have a transmission sitting at the dealership waiting to be put in my vehicle. I am sure this is not the problem but I also starting getting this "rattle rattle ping rattle" sound(15,500 miles on the car and it just started) like a spring winding up and popping and that could possibly be the transmission but others say its the ABS doing its test. Note this happens only on cold starts and at parking lot speeds right after put in drive.

Sad thing is I know my steer wheel column is still gonna make this noise after this.
Modified by Grimy at 6:07 PM 10/10/2009

Couz

Grimy wrote:I had mine "re-lubed" when I was getting my oil changed and that did the trick....for about 4 weeks. Then that noise was back once again! I had my wife take it in and they claimed it the was transmission!!! I now have a transmission sitting at the dealership waiting to be put in my vehicle. I am sure this is not the problem but I also starting getting this "rattle rattle ping rattle" sound(15.5km just started) like a spring winding up and popping and that could possibly be the transmission but others say its the ABS doing its test. Note this happens only on cold starts and at parking lot speeds right after put in drive.

Sad thing is I know my steer wheel column is still gonna make this noise after this.[/QUOT
Grimy wrote:I had mine "re-lubed" when I was getting my oil changed and that did the trick....for about 4 weeks. Then that noise was back once again! I had my wife take it in and they claimed it the was transmission!!! I now have a transmission sitting at the dealership waiting to be put in my vehicle. I am sure this is not the problem but I also starting getting this "rattle rattle ping rattle" sound(15.5km just started) like a spring winding up and popping and that could possibly be the transmission but others say its the ABS doing its test. Note this happens only on cold starts and at parking lot speeds right after put in drive.

Sad thing is I know my steer wheel column is still gonna make this noise after this.
Man, you went in for a creaky steering wheel and they said it was the tranny.

Weird, maybe they diagnosed a whole new problem.

And as for the spring popping sound if it happens right after you takeoff from starting your car it is the self test for the ABS...I get that on and off since I got the car, the self test seems to vary in its noises but the spring noise is common for the ABS test...I get it.

Couz

I checked in for the creaky steering wheel, its not drastically bad but I'd still like to quiet it down if I can.

Its definitely that plastic sounding noise...I'll lube it up and see what happens.

sileung

the sounds from my steering column sounds like some sort of hydraulics. I also get the plastic creaking as well.

Is any of this bad for the steering column if left unchecked?

kerrton

I took mine back for the 4th attempt, they were stumped and are now waiting to hear back from Nissan tech line.

I'd say it could cause some damage over time, because after a couple of their attempts to fix this problem, as I was driving away I thought, "boy it seems easier to turn the steering wheel". Now the sound is getting quite a bit louder and more annoying, partially because it's cold here now and that amplifies the problem. But the steering wheel is starting to feel like it has more resistance, so I'm starting to think it may be a degenerative problem. I'll post back after they get back to me for their 4th attempt to fix this.

Couz

Regarding the plastic creaky sound anyone been able to do anything.

Or is it just something to live with.

Today was chilly outside and I went out for the first time this morning and the steering wheel was creaking and cracking, it got quieter as things warmed up but still was there.

I noticed on the steering wheel console, the fat part that conects the steeering wheel has a clip/cap on it you can take off, it gives access to a screw.

If I take that cap off and grab hold of the plastic and jiggle it I recreate the plastic sound, also it really gives a good access point to shoot a crap load of lube in there.

But is it safe ??? I want to quiet that plastic down.

kerrton

Just hold off for a bit longer, my dealer is waiting for direction from Tech Help in Japan, they should be calling me today or tomorrow and offer a final solution. The first 3 times they tried to fix it, they just use the guess method, replaced everything and hope the problem goes away. This time I'm hoping they'll actually get a proper diagnosis and fix. As soon as I hear I'll let you know. You don't want to shoot lube down in there if you aren't sure, since there might be some sensitive parts that shouldn't get covered in lube, I'm not sure though but will report as soon as I have more info.

Couz

Thanks for your help Kerrton, but I'm not sure if we're dealing with the same issue, Mine is really the piece of plastic.

I can recreate it with the car off and just pushing that console piece connected to the steering wheel, I get plastic creaking, its really superficial.

I don't think it has anything to do with the steering column, its just rubbing up against the steering wheel.

The reason I don't want to spray inside that column is because the air bag seems to be in there.

It just sounds like what most Japanese cars have issues with when every piece of interior is plastic and makes noises as weather changes, in summer its quiet, I guess because the plastic isn't as stiff.

Couz

But you know what Kerrton, I'll wait till you get back to me.

Maybe it is similar.

Let me know

Thanks Kerrton

kerrton

I'd say I have the same problem as you, seems very superficial, definately plastic rubbing, which is why I'm surprised the dealer is having so much trouble figuring it out. My noise disappears in warm weather too, but once it gets below about 5 deg C it starts to appear, and by -10 or colder it's quite noisy, more so as time goes by I think too. Still waiting for a call, will let you know.

Couz

Cool, I'll wait till you get an answer.

But, I really don't think its serious, just annoying if you have the radio off.

I've had it since I got the car, but its my first winter with it and I have no idea how loud it'll get.

maverick_rogue
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 FWD

Hi

I have had this issue of creaking noise on right turn.Today Dealership found the issue to be a loose Strut Bearing.

Not sure if its similar to this issue that you have seen, but just in case it helps.

Return to “Rogue Forum”