Creaking steeering wheel

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Couz
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Thanks Ma
maverick_rogue wrote:Hi

I have had this issue of creaking noise on right turn.Today Dealership found the issue to be a loose Strut Bearing.

Not sure if its similar to this issue that you have seen, but just in case it helps.
Thanks Maverick,

but my issue is most defintely the steering wheel, I hear it clearly in the morning, when the car has been sitting all night in the chilly weather..creaking !!

RogueFlorida
Car: Nissan Rogue SL 2008

Interesting! Everybody has the problem in cold weather. I have the problem in hot weather. In the morning there is no noise at all, but leaving the car in the sun all morning... I start driving and turning the steering and the squeaky noise start. I have taken to the dealer 3 times. It is worse when I make a U turn or trying to park the car and really have to turn the steering harder.Below is the summary of my visits to the dealer:1st time - "driver shaft was touching the rubber boot, resecure and verified repair" -> a few weeks and the problem was back2nd time - "called techline for support, they recommended to grease the joints in steering column and to check and reposition rubber boot between steering gear assembly & bulkwall. Source of noise is from friction against column and rubber boot misplaced" -> few days later, noise was back3rd time -"readjusted boot from lower steering column (buckwall side). No noise" -> noise was back next dayToday I went to the dealer for the 4th time. They are going to order a new boot and see if that fixes the problem. They said they never heard about this problem before, can you believe that.I will let you know after my next visit to replace the boot!

Grimy
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD premium

interesting.........i had my transmission replaced and now there is no noise. I'm in Southern California so weather isn't the cause IMO. If the noise does come back I'll post something up because I think its just a coincidence.

Couz

Grimy wrote:interesting.........i had my transmission replaced and now there is no noise. I'm in Southern California so weather isn't the cause IMO. If the noise does come back I'll post something up because I think its just a coincidence.
I'm glad your trasmission issue was revolved...the rattle rattle ping is the infamous transmission problem symptom.

But its probably a coincidence that the steering wheel doesn't creak anymore.

I don't think it's related to a creaky steering wheel, my tranny sounds perfect.

I think I need to lube it up or something.
Modified by Couz at 12:25 PM 10/18/2009

Couz

I brought the car in this morning to make an appointment for the steering wheel noise.

While I was there tech test drove it and didn't have to even get out of the lot to hear it.

He said its nothing serious, but that there's alot of wiring and stuff in the steering wheel that might just get caught up in the way.

They'll have a look at it Wed morning, gonna leave it overnight so they test it out when its cold outside in the morning.

Couz

I forgot to mention this.

I brought my car in for the creaky steeering wheel.

Got it back Wed night.

Seems fixed, woke up to two very cold mornings and the sound is pretty much gone, well to the degree that a touch of creaking is normal from the spiral cable.

My fix was removing the driver Air Bag module in the steering wheel and reroute the wires behind the steering column.

What it was was the wires from the air bag module rubbing when you'd turn the steeering wheel...I guess it won't rub once its rerouted behind the steering column.

So far so good, a huge difference.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Glad to hear your problem is solved, my Nissan delaer is still waiting for a response from their tech line, which I think is getting a little ridiculous. Your tech immediately realized what the simple fix was, and he didn't need to replace $1200 worth of parts either like my delaer did the first 3 times I brought it in (spiral cable, steering wheel, then air bag). I'll mention your solution to them if they can't figure it out, thanks for posting it.

Couz

kerrton wrote:Glad to hear your problem is solved, my Nissan delaer is still waiting for a response from their tech line, which I think is getting a little ridiculous. Your tech immediately realized what the simple fix was, and he didn't need to replace $1200 worth of parts either like my delaer did the first 3 times I brought it in (spiral cable, steering wheel, then air bag). I'll mention your solution to them if they can't figure it out, thanks for posting it.
I brought it in the first time on the monday to make the appointment but they were able to road test it right away and the te h didn't even need to move the car, just turn the steering wheel and he had a good idea what it was.

If it was urgent they would have take the car in right away but he was quite sure it was some wiring getting in the way.

So far the fix has worked, its been cold and its been quiet.

A touch of sound is normal due to the spiral cable but it shouldn't be noticeable like the sound I was getting before.

From the get go I knew it was something so superficial and it was.

You should tell them to re route the air bag wiring and see if it helps.

kerrton

Well Tech Support informed them to replace the clock spring behind the air bag, and if that doesn't work then basically I'm hooped. Luckily for me I've got an awesome service dept and they promised not to let this slide and to work until the problem is resolved. So they've ordered a new clock spring, and want to keep the car for a couple of days to take their time diassembling and inspecting each component to ensure they solve the problem for good. Being the great service guys that they are, they're also going to provide a loaner car.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

kerrton wrote:Well Tech Support informed them to replace the clock spring behind the air bag,
Like I said four months ago...

kerrton

Yeah I guess you were right, but they told me they already replaced it, even though my invoices only listed spiral cable, air bag, and steering wheel replacement, would the clock spring possibly be included with any of these 3 parts?

Also, why do you say that if this fixes the problem, it'll recur again?

crayb
Car: 09 Rogue SL Fwd (Prem,Lther,Snrf), 11 Hyundai Sonata SE, 04 Lexus RX330, 92 Mazda Miata C 5spd

Sounds scary to me, airbag wiring rubbing on something! Wonder how many years it would take for the insulation to rub off the wires and POOF!

Ray

Couz

crayb wrote:Sounds scary to me, airbag wiring rubbing on something! Wonder how many years it would take for the insulation to rub off the wires and POOF!

Ray
Hopefully the wiring was just in the way, but if you're not getting a noise it probably means your air bag wiring is not rubbing or getting in the way.

By the way a little noise when turning is evidently normal since the spiral cable will do that a bit....aas long as its not flagrant.

zakmartin
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue, 2008 Nissan 350Z Touring

It's been my experience that a slight creaking sound is normal since the clock spring incorporates moving parts. Granted, there isn't much friction or tension going on, but still, there is some.

Due to manufacturing differences, some clock springs are inherently noisier than others, so it's kind of a luck of the draw thing. Mitsubishis use notoriously loud clock springs, while Toyotas don't.

Over time, what started as a quiet clock spring can become a noisy one simply due to the fact that internal parts get stressed, move around, rub, whatever. I'm guessing the Nissan springs aren't built to the highest standard, so that's going to be a normal problem for a lot of people.

Obvioulsy, if it's a loud creaking sound, then there's something very wrong with the part and it needs to get fixed.

I hope it works out for you.

Couz

zakmartin wrote:It's been my experience that a slight creaking sound is normal since the clock spring incorporates moving parts. Granted, there isn't much friction or tension going on, but still, there is some.

Due to manufacturing differences, some clock springs are inherently noisier than others, so it's kind of a luck of the draw thing. Mitsubishis use notoriously loud clock springs, while Toyotas don't.

Over time, what started as a quiet clock spring can become a noisy one simply due to the fact that internal parts get stressed, move around, rub, whatever. I'm guessing the Nissan springs aren't built to the highest standard, so that's going to be a normal problem for a lot of people.

Obvioulsy, if it's a loud creaking sound, then there's something very wrong with the part and it needs to get fixed.

That's exactly what the tech told me when he re routed my air bag wiring to quiet down the noise.

He said a bit of noise is gonna be inevitable due to the clock spring or spiral cable...can't remember which one.

kerrton

zakmartin wrote:

It seems that myself and only one or two others on this forum have complained about this problem, so I'd assume from this that Nissan clock springs have pretty good initial quality. As for long term quality, I can only hope...... But since almost no other owners have reported this clock spring problem, I'm going to assume it's very rare and that the new replacement part will solve the problem permanently. I don't see the logic that would lead you to believe that the noise will return, rather I'd attribute it to a fluke bad part, and that the replacement will be silent as pretty much all other Rogue owners seem to be experiencing.

scrock
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

I have this exact same problem with my 2008 Versa when backing up or turning left. I just took it in today and they told me something has worn out in the steering column.

Does anyone know if this could cause any serious problems. My warranty runs out soon.

kerrton

I guess it depends on what part has worn out, without knowing what problem your vehicle has it's tough to say.

My problem is a faulty clock spring, and perhaps something within my steering colum that is causing the clock spring to fail, because it seems very few Rogue owners have this problem, whereas I've had mine replaced and the new part is already worn and needing to be replaced again.

kerrton

Guys I'm really dissappointed with my Rogue today and would appreciate some input. I had my car in for the 4th time to address this issue, they replaced the clock spring/spiral cable and as before it seemed good as I drove away.

It's a week later and I think I hear the noise starting to make it's return, (as before), but now I get a terrible vibration noise in the steering column when the "overdrive" vibration kicks in around 40 - 60 km/hr. If I grip the steering wheel hard and kind of pull it towards me the vibration goes away, but this is a constant effort and the noise if LOUD and kind of shocking. I can't believe it after 4 attempts they've not only failed to solve the problem but have actually made it worse.

I don't want to spend my whole life in a service shop but I can't let this go....there must be something out of spec or alignment in that steering column to cause the clock springs to die repeatedly, but the chances of getting them to replace the whole column are probably non-existent...I guess I'll see what the service manager has to say and if anybody on here has any ideas please send them my way....thanks a lot.

Couz

That must be frustrating Kerrton.

I'm assuming you've been going to the same dealership.

My suggestion, go to the next nearest Nissan dealer and have them take a look, maybe a different group of service techs can figure it out.

I don't know your area but I have two Nissan dealership in a 10km radius I can go to....maybe you have that situation too, or within an hour.

AznJohn22
Car: 08 Nissan Rogue

Isn't there a recall for steering wheel? I think i have the same issue. at first, i thought it was the spring on my chair or something. it is really annoying. sounds like something is loose inside.

kerrton

There is a recall for the steering system but it doesn't address the squeeking noise, it is a preventative measure to avoid a nut from coming loose and causing steering control loss. As far as I know, it will do nothing to address the squeeking issue.

My service manager and Nissan Tech support have diagnosed the problem as a faulty clock spring/spiral cable, but they cannot explain why the part continually keeps failing on me.

Thanks for trying to brainstorm some ideas.

AznJohn22

My steering wheel sounds like i'm using a socket wrench. It is the best way i could describe it. does your sound like that?

robf70837

For me, my steering wheel creaks only when the ambient temperature is around 20 degrees F or lower and only when turning the wheel counterclockwise (to the left).

At first I thought the buttons on my jacket coat sleeve were brushing against the steering wheel trim. Then I realized I didn't have buttons on my sleeve.

After the interior warms up the creaking disappears.

kerrton

zakmartin wrote: Be forewarned, however, the the noise will probably come back within a few months.
I still can't figure out why the noise would come back, what would cause my clock spring to continually die while the next Rogue owner never has a single problem? Steering column out of manufacturing spec, or something out of alignment?

kerrton

AznJohn22 wrote:My steering wheel sounds like i'm using a socket wrench. It is the best way i could describe it. does your sound like that?
Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like, good comparison.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Not that this will help, but I noticed the steering creaking for the first time this morning when it was 12F outside here in Chicago. I immediately thought of this thread that I had seen, but never read. My experience is the same as everyone else with the noise. I have a feeling my dealer will just blow me off and say they can't find a problem, just like a lot of the other problems I've had.

AznJohn22

could it be coming from the chair? like the spring or something. i'm getting pretty annoyed with the creaking when driving. When i turn on a curve on the highway or hit a bump. grrr

kerrton

bill875 wrote:Not that this will help, but I noticed the steering creaking for the first time this morning when it was 12F outside here in Chicago. I immediately thought of this thread that I had seen, but never read. My experience is the same as everyone else with the noise. I have a feeling my dealer will just blow me off and say they can't find a problem, just like a lot of the other problems I've had.
Through my many trips to the dealer regarding this problem, and discussions on this forum, it seems clear that it's the clock spring/spiral cable that is causing the noise. However, replacing the part only offers a temporary fix for me, with the new part getting noisy a few months later. The noise is very clearly coming from the steering column, I can actually feel the noise through the steering wheel.

I'm just hoping there'll be a TSB from Nissan at some point that will point the service guys in the right direction. If enough Rogue's experience the problem then there's a good chance this'll happen, but my Rogue is almost 2 years old so I'll be out of warranty in another year. My concern is having this problem after warranty because it is around 500 bucks to fix and I'm not footing the bill for this one if I can avoid it! And it would be tough to sell this car later on with such a noise.....

If anyone gets any new info on this one, please post it up. I'll be watching the TSB (tech service bulletin) list and will report any new updates.

harryg
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

my seat made a annoying noise...when ever i went over a bump or turned it would make a noise, took it to the dealer and they used leather conditioner around the area on the left side where the seat controls are...if you press down where ur left thigh is you might hear it (leather rubbing against plastic) got this fixed two weeks ago and it hasnt come back since...not sure if this is the same thing u are hearing but its worth a shot

also got the clock spring replaced for the creaking steering wheel, and the creak went away, its been just over a week and no more creaking...the temp today was 1*C and no creaking

Return to “Rogue Forum”