Crazy idea

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
ketzalcoalt
Car: nissan Quest

I HAVE A 2000 AUTOMATIC NISSAN QUEST, I WANT TO INSTALL A MECHANICAL TRANSMISSION ON IT. SOMEBODY HAVE AN IDEA WHAT KIND OF TRANSMISSION? THANS FOR THE TIPS.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

I am pretty sure all vehicles have a mechanical transmission to some extent.

ketzalcoalt
Car: nissan Quest

MY IDEA IS TO PUT A MANUAL TRANSMISSION ON MY QUEST.
THANKS FOR THE TIPS. :wavey:

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

well, did you find anything to make the minivan into a stick-shift grocery getter? :crazy:

based on wiki,
It is a modified version of the J30 Nissan Maxima platform.
so, if you're SERIOUSLY going to try to do this, look for that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Quest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_VX54_platform

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Unfortunately this is always a much more intensive and difficult procedure than you'd think, one big reason is the computer programming, modern vehciles have an Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Transmission Control Module (TCM), each of which are precisely programmed to work with the specific engine and transmission of your vehicle. The TCM would not be compatible with a manual trans, so it would either have to be reprogrammed or replaced.

Then there is the phycial/mechanical issues, there is no guarantee that a manual trans will simploy bolt on, but I can't say for sure one way or another. This is such a complex and in-depth process you'd have to do a lot of research. Unfortunatley, the Quest is not a typcial vehicle that people make serious mods or alterations to so I don't think there will be much info. here, but if you had a 240SX for example, then you'd have more info. than you'd know what to do with!

But don't let me discourage you, I just wanted to let you know that this is a huge project and will requrie lots of cash and time, and you may be the first to try this so input and support will be limited. But I'd recommend talking to a good mechanic who is interested in the project and willing to do the intital research to determine if it may be possible.

Let us know how it works out!

jem003

POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS NO. 102, "TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER SEQUENCE, STARTER INTERLOCK, AND TRANSMISSION BRAKING EFFECT. " THESE VEHICLES COULD HAVE A SHIFT CABLE LOCK PLATE THAT IS TOO BRITTLE AND CAN BREAK. THE GEAR SHIFT LEVER AND THE "PRNDL" INDICATOR MAY MOVE, BUT THE TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT OUT OF THE PARK POSITION. OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, THE TRANSMISSION COULD SHIFT OUT OF THE PARK POSITION, BUT THE GEAR INDICATED ON THE DISPLAY MAY DIFFER FROM THE GEAR ENGAGED IN THE TRANSMISSION.

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

Could you guys please not write with CAPS :) (Others may perceive it as yelling)

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

jem003 wrote:POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FMVSS NO. 102, "TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER SEQUENCE, STARTER INTERLOCK, AND TRANSMISSION BRAKING EFFECT. " THESE VEHICLES COULD HAVE A SHIFT CABLE LOCK PLATE THAT IS TOO BRITTLE AND CAN BREAK. THE GEAR SHIFT LEVER AND THE "PRNDL" INDICATOR MAY MOVE, BUT THE TRANSMISSION WILL NOT SHIFT OUT OF THE PARK POSITION. OVER A PERIOD OF TIME, THE TRANSMISSION COULD SHIFT OUT OF THE PARK POSITION, BUT THE GEAR INDICATED ON THE DISPLAY MAY DIFFER FROM THE GEAR ENGAGED IN THE TRANSMISSION.
Jem003, what is the point of this post, this looks like a TSB related to some specific trans issue on who knows what vehicle, nothing that adds to the discussion we're having here. How does this help answer the question of swapping in manual trans on an auto Quest?

Return to “Quest Forum”