Crank sensor on s13 and s14.

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
kapitaljin
Car: 93 S13

I was searching on the FSM and realized that the crank sensor on the s13 is on the block and the s14 has it on the trans case (sensing the magnet from the flywheel).

Well here is what I am doing, I am swapping a s14 block into my s13 chassis.

Here is what I have:

-s13 manual ECU-S13 top and bottom harness (manual)-s14 block and trans with missing crank sensor.

Would it throw a code if I didnt put a sensor in?

I am unsure of what I need to do.

Thanks,

Eric

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

I was unaware that the S13 had a crank sensor. Which KA are you talking about? I know my S13, KA, in my '93 (DE), doesn't have a crank sensor.

s14det

I'am pretty sure the crank sensor is in the ditsy on both the S13 and s14.

kapitaljin

In the FSM it says the crank shaft position sensor (OBD) heres a pic of the fsm im looking at.

It says remove the crankshaft sensor (obd) and I know for a fact that I am missing that sensor in my bell housing because that portion where the sensor mounts is nice and shiney.

kapitaljin

TheOne
Car: 93 240sx FB

if you are using an S13 distributor, the crank angle sensor comes inside it, an S14 has it outside though, you would not need the S14 crank angle sensor since it seems you are gonna be using S13 harness/distributor.

the S13 harness/ecu has no provision for an external crank sensor.

kapitaljin

Also if you guys can help me out with this:

Modified by kapitaljin at 6:44 PM 4/14/2008

kapitaljin

TheOne: Thanks a lot. I do have a s13 distributor and harness. I didnt realize the dizzy had it built in. Saves me a lot of time and money in that case.

I guess I can just block it off?

Also need help with the above pic.

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

kapitaljin wrote:Also if you guys can help me out with this:

Modified by kapitaljin at 6:44 PM 4/14/2008
the one right in front of the shifter on the top is the neutral switch.. the one under it is the speed sensor and the one with the hose off of it is the vent, it should mount to a metal u bend on the bell housing with on of the bell housing bolts. i dont think that the crank sensor is in the distributer i think its the cam sensor in there. could be mistaken. also a friend just put a s14 engine and tranny in his s13 and he had to switch the trannys over. said the drivelines wouldnt match up or something

kapitaljin

What does he mean by the drive lines?

I heard its pretty much a driect swap except the ends of the sensor might be different connectors (or something like that).

Luckily I have the pig tails on my bottom harness.

Also the vent line, I am guessing it doesnt plug up to anything then?

Thanks,

Eric

TheOne
Car: 93 240sx FB

it should fit just fine, i've installed & S14 block & trans in an S13, and i've also installed S14 block/S13 trans & vise versa.

the hose should have a metal bracket with a hole, it goes @ the 3 or 4 o'clock bolt, its just for venting transmission gasses.(so if you can just tie somewhere where it vents going up, it'll be fine)

and yes there's a couple sensors that are different, most notably the speed sensor.

kapitaljin

Yeah and its a biiitch because the speedsensor at autozone is mroe than doubled the price of a s13 manual speed sensor.

I wonder what the difference is...

so I wont be needing that crankshaft sensor on top of the bell housing?

Also I was thinking about blocking off the neutral position switch and just jumping the pigtails together so the car can start without the clutch depressed. Or is the neutral position switch for something comepletely different?

I was also thinking about making a switch or using the switch in the clutch pedal and wiring it down to the neutral position switch so it closes when I push in the clutch.

I also have a 5spd manual ecu, would it throw a code if I am missing any of the sensors or if the neutral position switch is jumped?

Thanks a lot guys.

Eric

KFL
Car: S14

Nope dont need crank angle sensor on bellhousing.When doing/completing auto-manual the neutral safety switch is automatically bypassed. (no clutch pedal down to start)

The neutral saftey switch throws a CEL on occasion to my knowledge..unless you run a wire from neutral sensor to the ecu/ground.

I may have dohc s13 manual speed sensor for sale..if I can find it.

kapitaljin

Sounds great. I hope it doesnt interfere with the manual ecu though. I understand although the automatic ecu can be bypassed, I am unsure how the manual ecu will handle when certain things are missing.

I guess the crankshaft sensor is the least of my worries, and the most important thing right now is to source out a s14 speed sensor.

Anyone know where I can get myself a release bearing sleeve? also the dust boot for the release bearing fork?

Thanks,

Eric

KFL
Car: S14

email [email protected] I know I have a spare release bearing.. I may also have a dust boot.

Since your using a s13 ecu u need a s13 manual speed sensor..there is a teeth difference between them..and will throw off reading on the speedometer.

kapitaljin

Oh geez, I was looking for a s14 manual speed sensor the whole time thinking it wouldnt fit into the housing.

I will email you when I get home tonight.

I am not particularly looking for the bearing but the bearing sleeve. If you have the bearing and the sleeve, that would be awesome! as well as the boot too.

if anything you can email me at [email protected] with subject title transmission parts.

Thanks

GEO
Car: 95 240sx KA-T

Hah I was throwing a code for my crank angle sensor. But ti was pulling timing at 20 degrees at WOT.. So I elft it and turbo'd my car. LOL, PERFECT timing pull.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”