crank position sensor

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
puck1263

Hi, new to this forum for a question:

My in-laws 01 frontier is throwing codes for the crank position sensor. They replaced it last year and now the code is back. They are thinking about replacing it again. They apparently are not seeing any other symptoms.

I tried to explain to them that the computer is throwing a code because a sensor has detected a problem...and the code for that sensor is given. It isn't necessarily that the sensor is bad. One of my buddies kept getting an 02 sensor code, indicating system lean. He kept replacing oxygen sensors. I tried to tell him to find out why his truck was running lean. Turns out he had a vacuum leak.

So, with that said, what kinds of problems throw this code? Is this common to this make/model?

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

I have this item on my Xterra CD Manual and in case you didn't know, the Frontier/Xterra systems are the same. Heck the 2 vehicles share just about everything aside from some body panels.

The sensor in question is located at the upper left side ( a bit off center) on the transmission bellhousing. The sensor reads the teeth on the starter gear just so you understand how close to the edge this item is located. The manual says to check the sensor connection and assure proper ground is established. It also says to remove the sensor and visually inspect the tip for chipping damage or debris in the sensor's pick up holes. The end of the sensor has 2 small openings about 1/8inch apart.

There is more detail but I would prefer to post just one set of instructions for you. So I need to know which engine this Frontier has.

puck1263

I want to say it has a 3.0 I know it is a V6

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

It's a 3.3 liter VG33. It's more or less the same engine as the older VG30's, only punched out a bit. Super Muppet is right on the location, and with all the crap there, it's kind of a pain to get to.....similar to replacing a 6th plug.

Big Bird, have you done that yet? Oh, what a fun job that is.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

OK - Here's the Crank Position Sensor Stuff for the VG33 ( 3.3 Liter V6 )

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”