Crank No Start ….what the ???

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Marshall2012
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Hi all….I’m hoping someone can help with a mystery. I have 2017 Rogue SL AWD. The wife accidentally hit the panic while trying to remote start. After that, trying to start with the push button would only result in a click and then lights out. Completely dark. I disconnected the battery cable for a few mins and tried again, now it will crank, but no start. The security light is on solid trying to start. Another weird clue, the only way I can get things to go dark is to disconnect the battery cable. Meaning the dash lights, headlights etc stay on even when I get out and lock the doors. Like it thinks I’m still sitting in the driver’s seat. I’ve left the neg battery cable off overnight with the same result. I’ve charged the car battery. Changed the fob battery. I’m not sure where to check next. Any advice would be appreciated.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Have you tried unlocking the driver's door with the hard key? Sometimes after a low battery the BCM's get twacked and constantly think the car is being stolen. Using the hard key resets it. Make sure charging the battery actually charged it, a reasonable float voltage after charging is 12.6V. Lower than that and you may have a bad battery that's crashing under load.

If that isn't it, then something in your NATS/NVIS system is triggering the sec light. That can be anything from the fob to the IMMU to a BCM with corrupted fob data, so you'll really need to get the BCM codes scanned.

Marshall2012
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue

Thanks for the reply. So I tried the key to reset with no success. I again left the neg cable off overnight, again with no luck. I plugged in my scanner and a bunch of stuff had faults, which I was able to clear all the the Engine Control Module fault P161D “Immobilizer” fault, which would not clear. Not sure where to go from here.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Hooboy. Hopefully your BCM just lost its brains and the keys need to be re-registered. P161D means there's a key registration issue in the BCM, usually corrupted data. If re-registering the keys doesn't help, you're probably into a BCM.

Are you in the US, or Canada? If you're in Canada, there's also a key-ID dongle behind the dashboard way up behind the HVAC Unit. If that's the problem then things get really ugly, the dashpad has to come out to change it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”