crank but no start when cold out

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
gentry3114
Car: 2004 350z stillen stage 3. 6 puck sprung Z1 motorsports clutch

Ok guys first post here, I installed a Stillen Stage 3 SC this summer, and now the temps have dropped into the teens and the car will crank but not start, it smells as if it is flooding. As soon as I hook a battery charger up even at 20 amps it will start right up. I tested the battery with carbon pile tester last nite and had to replace the battery. Once I get it started it will start the rest of the day. Any advice

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

The fact that it starts when you hook up a charger would indicate that your battery is simply not providing enough cold cranking amps and is slowly dieing, most likely a fresh battery will correct your issue. The fact that it has a SC means the ecu is piggybacked, replaced or tuned, in any case this does introduce the possibility that your cold start enrichments and or spark hold may not be properly tuned but most likely just the battery crapping out.

gentry3114
Car: 2004 350z stillen stage 3. 6 puck sprung Z1 motorsports clutch

Ok i load tested the battery. It was bad so I replaced it. Next mprning same thing, so I monitored cranking rpm it was at aprox 130. Gave is a charger treatment and it poped off. I let it sit a few hours and the cranking rpm was 270 ish and it started. I contacted stillen and they said there was only one rare issue with their piggyback and that was a problem with the crank sensor. But im showing rpm so that should be eliminated. So now it is warm again and it works perfect. I will update more when it gets cold again

evildky

Could be the starter dieing as well. Or you have some drain thats sapping power form your battery overnight, If you have any aftermarket electronics disconnect them.

rezs1ckness

gentry -- did you every figure this problem out? I'm experiencing a similar issue with a Nissan Frontier. I've done parasitic drain tests; perfectly fine. Replaced battery twice; still happens. I don't think it's fuel issue because like you said, if i jump the vehicle it starts up perfectly fine.

evildky

If jumping fixes the problem your battery is not holding or delivering enough amps.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”