Craftsman new 19.2v pick and choose cordless power tools = AWESOME.

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

Pretty neat little sets for the price, they were on sale last weekend and we have a family employee sears discount so my dad went and bought himself some new tools. After getting them home and looking them over i'm impressed, not the typical low-quality Craftsman cordless tools i'm used to seeing, haven't used anything except the drill, and didn't really get to use that but i'm definately excited to! Check em out:

Tons of different options, combo the pieces you want, add a piece to a pre-existing combo, it's up to you and that is what kicks ***! Click here!

Planer

Spiral Saw

Impact Driver

Hammer Drill/ Driver

DieHard Cordless Nailer

Right Angle Drill/ Driver

Laminate Trimmer

Laser-guided DieHard Cordless Trim Saw (the one that came in our kit didn't have the laser)

DieHard Recipricating Saw with LED

DieHard Cordless Drill/ Driver 2

Pad Sander

Hand Vac

Flourescent Light

Work Light

Cordless Inflator (up to 200psi, digital pressure gauge and includes tire chuck)

Jig Saw with Laser Trac

Freaking cool. Anyways, just wanted to share in case any of you are in the market, because it's a pretty good deal. The catch is if you don't want a kit, then you have to buy batteries seperately, they aren't included with the individual tools, though they are with the combos.

-Dan

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Nice set of tools! Youll never need to buy anything again.

My dad and I (mostly me) are working on reflooring his deck. I'll start a thread when I finish.

Dano

Oh we didn't get all of them, we picked up a combo that included:

-Drill-Impact driver-Circular Saw-Flourescent light-Sawzall-2 batteries-1hr quick charger and added the laser-track jigsaw

-Dan

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

it's neat...but 19.2 is a really bulky battery.

the cordless trim router is goofy and kind've impratical.

when they make these with Lithium Ion...I'll consider.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

That cordless circular saw is awesome for small duties/projects. That's what I use (used since it got stolen ) for my speaker projects.

For large projects dad and I use his 2.4hp circular saw. We used it on his deck which consisted of hundreds of 2x4's, 14 4x4 posts, 14 6x6 posts and many 2x10's and some more 6x6 beams that all had to be cut. A cordless would have never made it. Anything short of having to cut 6x6's in half and that 19.2v cordless should work fine.

Mr1der

agreed.

anything battery powered however isn't gonna do it for a large number of cuts or something that's gonna make use of all the cutting surface.

the cordless saws can be handy as all get out in certain instances though.

one of my favorite saws is a good 12 inch blade miter.

and big *** table saw.

combine those with a jig and wide assortment of blade styles and there's few jobs you can't tackle.

PoorManQ45

I prefer Ridgid and Dewault.

Also, cordless circular saws are retarded.

Mr1der

can't say I'm a fan of Rigid...they drills tend to break.

have awesome power...but just don't stand up as well.

Milwaulkee's are the same way.

as of right now...Makita and Bosch make pretty good cordless guns.

PoorManQ45

That's why I love ridgid. If/when it breaks they replace it

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Mr1der wrote:as of right now...Makita and Bosch make pretty good cordless guns.
Makita makes some pretty durable guns. I would assume the rest of their products would be just as good.

PoorManQ45

Looneybomber wrote:Makita makes some pretty durable guns. I would assume the rest of their products would be just as good.
The problem I have with makita is that they don't have the raw power of dewault/milwaukee/ridgid

Mr1der

Milwaulkee's power has gone downhill.

Rigid is probably the best with a NiCad battery.

right now Li-Ion are the way to go if you need man torque. Bosch makes some really good ones. One of my favorites is the cordless screwdriver with a multiposition head on it.

or the little compact driver. Both have killer torque and apply lowspeed at first to make it easier to start a screw then really lay on the power.

PoorManQ45

Check into the compact impact driver. Those things are awesome.

Mr1der

great for quick wheel changes....I don't do that enough to really warrant getting one though.

sometimes you can find deals on the guns on Amazon of all places...like a buy one get one kinda thing.

PoorManQ45

no, I mean a cordless impact driver.

It's not a full impact gun.

It's great for those stubborn screws and/or bolts

Mr1der

I'm aware.

I've messed with them...they'll get a wheel change done at the autox ;(

Dano

Haha, you guys crack me up.

-Dan

Mr1der

you KNOW you love molesting various power tools.

it's part of my occupation....so it's fun to mess with the latest stuff.

slipnfall
Car: '06 D40

I have the hammer drill/driver, and so far it's held up pretty well. Probably the best part is the grip: it just fits well in the hand. However the Dewalt hammer/driver is better ballanced, smaller, and a nicer chuck(you don't need two hands to fully tigten a Dewalt).

Milwalkee batteries (in my experiance) are junk, very hard to revive after deep discharge.

For things like a circular saw I'll stick to the $40 home depot special. My dad has a black 'n decker cordless and the blade isn't even big enough to cut through a 2x4.

The flashlight is just retarded...

slipnfall
Car: '06 D40

PS - on the other hand there are some really nifty corless devices up there I've never seen, like the tire inflator. That'd be great for the track.

Mr1der

I like Bosche's Jobsite Radio. I got to sling one across the shop at a demonstration a tool vendor did.

it only got a few scuffs...but I think I could do worse if left alone with it.

nani
Car: 89-240sx

HILTI ftw dewalt is crap unless u used it once a year

nani
Car: 89-240sx

Craftsman is the same. and check the websites for RECALLS on tools. I used to work at a hardware store and the manager would post recall letters all the time, but nobody gave a crap.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

Maybe I'm being too critical, but those tools like they are entirely plastic. I can be very unforgiving with my tools, and I just dont think they could hold up. I know I could probably just go to Sears every time one breaks and get a new one for free, but thats a hassle. I would rather spend more on something that will never break.

PoorManQ45

xekushnr wrote: I know I could probably just go to Sears every time one breaks and get a new one for free, but thats a hassle. I would rather spend more on something that will never break.
That's why I chose ridgid. The durability and power of Dewalt with a lifetime warranty!

Fla240sx

I might buy the drill/impact driver kit

the battery does seem cheap compared to the Dewault units I typically use...

Dewalts are tough man, besides Hilti dewalt is king IMHO......

hilti's are usually 100+bucks more then the competitive Dewalt tho.. which is expensive by itself I think

the impact driver kit goes for over 200......

also check out the Craftsman Professional, I think they use lithium ION, but its over 200 bucks for the setup

80 for gun, 80 for a battery, 40 charger, then bits etc...

I hope the craftsman is strong enough for my relentless daily driving of tapcons

alexpang87

I am looking for a new power drill, I haven't had luck with Craftsman tools. How is yours holding up so far.

Dano

Ours are holding up nicely. My dad hasn't used his drill very much, and I have my own, but I have used the crap out of the sawzall and jiggy, both run like champs through various metals and woods.

krazydriver
Car: 2002 civic ex, 1993 KA-T 240sx - parting it out...

This thread motivated me to go to sears and pick one of these up.I've needed a drill for awhile the chuck on my old one crapped out. So i got the drill + right angle drill combo, and threw in the fluorescent light for kicks.

Drill seems decent, haven't had a chance to really screw (<-- pun.. hehe) with it yet.The lights cool though, very bright and great for tossing outside when i need light and don't want to drag a cord around.

best part is... i know the owners of my local sears pretty well, so they fanagled some promotion/discount stuff and I got a nice cut on the price.

Just checked the sears site. If you get one of the two drill combo sets you get a free work light!! Guess i'll go back tomorrow and pick up mine!

goneracin
Car: 2004 G35X Sedan 1990 Mustang conv.

This drill is my favorite. Its a dewalt. Best thing about it is the balance on the handle. It allows you to push straight with it. Most drills on the market don't get you behind the true centerline on the drill. I never really appreciated it until I built a deck. The worst thing is the weight. Its a lot heavier than most drills.

http://www.factoryauthorizedou...R.asp

At $219.00 its not a bad price. Its a factory recon. I've owned a factory recon for 10 years, and no troubles at all.

Return to “Around the House”