Cracked windshield

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
TBrack
Car: none

A tiny star from a flying rock has now turned into a 6in crack overnight. I have never seen anything like this before but according to other cube forums cracks and stars are very common on these cars. Took it to a glass repair shop and they said it was too long of a crack to repair it. I hope my insurance covers a new windshield!

miata007
Car: 2009 Cube 6sp, 2005 G35 sedan

I too have couple stars since the 3rd day of ownership. Looks like we ex-Q owner is cursed when we betrayed our old friend.

So far the stars in my car are still not in expansion mode yet. I better ack quick to have it repair .

TBrack

My Nissan dealer said it should be covered under warranty and he will check if there are any other service complaints. I think this is a defect that needs to be addressed by Nissan so I will take it as far as I can!

zinker
Car: 2005 Ford Focus soon to be a Cube!

Glass coverage is relatively cheap. Everyone should have it. I was hit by a big rock from a passing truck a couple of years ago and my insurance company even made all the arrangement to get it fixed. I had a new windshield installed before the day was out! And it didn't raise my insurance rates.

TBrack

zinker wrote:Glass coverage is relatively cheap. Everyone should have it. I was hit by a big rock from a passing truck a couple of years ago and my insurance company even made all the arrangement to get it fixed. I had a new windshield installed before the day was out! And it didn't raise my insurance rates.
Glass coverage does come with my insurance. However when the crack gets too large to fix, that's when your deductible comes in.

MESMER
Car: 2010 NISSAN CUBE

I thought that it was weird when I got my first windshield "star" during my first week of ownership. Six months later: three stars. I know, I know, repairs and/or replacements aren't that expensive (and usually covered by insurance), but come on, the near vertical windshield just isn't working. :mad:

ChopsQube
Car: 2010 Nissan Cube 1.8

I've had my Cube for 5 months. Three months into it I got a big crack across the bottom of the windshield on the driver's side due to a semi throwing a rock my way. Shortly after, it stretched about 18" across the windshield so I got it replaced. Exactly two weeks later with the new windshield I got a small "bulls eye" chip on the passenger side from a small rock thrown up by a car. Before that one had time to spread, I picked up a Permatex repair kit and filled the chip. So far, so good. It hasn't grown at all, even in all of this Florida summer heat.

It's not a defect of the glass but just the fact that the windshield of the Cube sits up so vertical that rocks want to go through it instead of deflecting off of it. Sucks really but waddiya gonna do? :gotme

TBrack

Well the fix is really simple, just crack the front windows so that the pressure inside the car is the same as outside. The reason you get rock chips is because the force caused by the rock has little place to go inside the lower pressure cabin. If the pressure inside is equal, the force can easily be absorbed and deflected by the windshield. Works for me but who wants to drive with the windows down all the time?

acerbicallyspeaking
Car: '09 Nissan Cube

My insurance paid for mine as well, but I have to let you all know, I beat every single one of you.

My insurance agent called to tell me I had the first windshield replacement on a cube in all of North America.

He had a hell of a time pricing it with the glass company. ;)

jay_j
Car: White Cube 1.8

Add me to the cracked windshield group. Insurance covers repair as long as it's not bigger than a dollar bill

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

I paid $900 up front for a full 5-years of windshield coverage. Chips are fixed for free, and the whole windshield replaced as many times as necessary for a $45 "processing" fee each time. Considering I got my first chip about 6km after leaving the dealership, and now I'm going to have to be replacing the whole thing (21000km on the clock, less than six months later), I'd say that glass coverage is pretty important for our bug-swatters. :)

Solar_Runner

If you call around, you may find that there are many companies out there that will wave the deductable. I've had good luck the last two times I had one replaced.

Return to “Cube Forum”